LF3XT vs. UltraFire A1 from a noobie perspective!! (LOTS OF PICTURES!!)

madi05

Enlightened
Well i have met many cool people and am proud to be part of this community ,, and i guess i have learned quite a bit about out lights and the pros and cons,, i have never really bought a cheap priced light till now ,, so i figured i would contribute or enlighten the noobs before me and maybe even some old guys , who knows, lol (plus it snowed today so im bored, lol)

as many know i have had the lf3xt made by liteflux for a little while now and many of us owners agree it is a fantastic little cr123 light ,, it is plenty bright for most peoples homes and outside the home activities imo and emergencies ,, pretty cool little light ,, i never had anything else in its size to compare it to till now,, well i had a jetbeam M and to be honest the JBM will out throw the lf3xt in the woods or if u measure distance past the real view of the eye but say u are checking out your car that is parked in the street maybe 50 ft away at the most they both will do the job good for u imo but say u live somewhere like an apartment from the 3rd floor and want to look down towards your car , the spot on the JBM will get u there a bit better

ok now on with some findings of mine with the non professional photos , lots of them so sqinch your eyes,, this review is first of the UF A1 ,, it is a fairly cool light imo alot of bang for your buck so to speak http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=5661

it measures in length 81.90 mm or 3.22 inches
it measures in diameter 21.53mm or .85 inches
so a pretty small bright as hek light on high , lol

to my eye it is as bright on high if not brighter than the lf3xt ,, but i have to wait to get my lf3xt to confirm this side by side ,, to be cont.....

med. is mostly useful around the house , and low is fairly low and alot lower than i was thinking it would be ,, no it is not quite as low as the lf3xt but it is not blindingly bright to wake up to either ,, now this is my opinion and u know what they say about opinions dont u ? lol

strobe is cool and sos is cool , u simply half press the button to switch ,, it remembers the mode after last so if u cut it off on high it will come back on med,, but sometimes it is hit or miss imo ,, meaning i have cut it off on high and it came back on high , lol and so on

it gets quite warm on high after 5 min. or so u can still hold it so it is not that hot but it is warmer compared to the lf3xt on high for that amount of time but still holdable imo

ok now the pics, basically it looks the same as the one u see on the kd website and has what it states it has so im thrilled, waited about a month to get it basically, lol

-these pics are of the threads, not too shabby imo ,, dont understand the way the threads wave on the inside a bit in the beginning and then smooth out but it doesnt look like it hinders anything imo

outside came too greased imo so i cleaned a bit off

just a pic of the logo for u , it has cree stamped on the opposite side , probably can take some acetone and take it right off imo

cheap wire clip but works good enough to clip inside your pocket like i mostly do but maybe not too good for a belt imo

the pills and q5 cree for u ,, the tint is nice and white with hardly any blue purple or any other color ,, just about what u would want imo about the same as the lf3xt imo

back of the pill, simply put your tweezers in the grooves u see on each side and turn it out counter clockwise, it came out easier than the lf3xt ,, a little looser threading i suppose

didnt come with a oring front of the lens so i used one that was a bit too big imo and will get some thinner ones to make it more correct, basically this one prevents me to screw it all the way shut , but the orange is cool huh?(also note there is two small rub marks on the bezel as u can see in the pic) but everything else is coated nicely

i put some glow powder around the led as u can see just to jazz it up a bit , while i had it apart ,, looks cool huh? also note the op reflector is aluminum but the hole is just a hair to big so u have to makes sure to align it up when u tighten the pill back in or it will be lopsided looking, lol

also note my led was fairly centered ,, maybe not perfectly but decent enough to pass as center imo

the tail cap just unscrews like the lf3xt ,, little thinner battery coil but should be ok ,, note also u can put a oring on this to make it as watertight as the lf3xt imo,, again i dont have none handy to do it yet, but i will order me some right after this thread is up , lol

beamshots are my weak point for pics, but i think u can tell fairly good ,, this is 10 foot shot on my Ben Hogan picture and against a white dirty wall in my office, lol ,, im a watchsmith and a good one im might add, lol kidding :D
control shot with lights on

on its brightest setting , same distance with lights off (pic not great little blurry, sry)

another brightest setting same place just over to the right a bit so u can see the hotspot better (imo, nice clean hotspot with lots of useful spill, lf3xt is a bit smoother but imo not a whole lot versus the cash for the guys that are on a budget this light is a winner imo,, do a few things like orings and if the driver and led holds up for longevity it is great ,, and if not then put a better driver in it and still come out cheaper imo, lol) the lf3xt is just awesome mainly because of its fui, cui techinical stuff , other than that this can compete imo

on medium same distance (note pics get a bit grainier due to less light being produced to take the picture

on low and more grainier but u should be able to tell it is lower but usable imo

in the hand shots ,, mainly i have short fat hands to compare to ,, fairly small ,, even a bit smaller than the lf3xt and lighter weight as well, but neither are that heavy imo

-in conclusion , this little budget light is pretty darn good, for $15.85 ,, i dont think u can go wrong ,, it is small ,light weight , comes with a pocket clip ,, i may make it my keychain light, its at the size where it may wouldnt be uncomfortable that way ,imo ,, i think u do a few mods to it u will love it as i do ,, im buying another one ,, it even came with a nice UF belt case ,, which i thought was awesome ,, glow in the dark button cover , it can tailstand but the rubber boot make it wobble just a little bit ,, i think it is a bit too thick and can be modded to make it flush but it tailstands good enough for most situations imo ,, the finish is not bad at all ,, the bean shots i took for u were using a aw r123 and it ran fine with that ,, i also tried a surefire cr123 and it ran fine with that ,, as for runtimes, i cant tell u right now but i can tell u that the use for me is more for fun and the lf3xt lasted about a week on the r123 and i probably cut it on daily for a minute or two here and there playing with it , lol

hope u liked my quick review , boy these things take up some time ,, thanks to guys that do this for us all the time ,, if u have some pointers to make mine better feel free to let me know , :popcorn:

take care
madi05

btw. i type fast so there may be some mispelling cause i type what i think and i dont proofread till later, lol :nana:

another note, i realize i need a manicure, roflmao,, i am a watchsmith and nails are not a necessity when working with little gears, imo,, i have heard a mouthful in the past when i do tutorials for watches, lmao

also forgot to mention this , it has anodizing on the thread on what is called for lockout ,, meaning unscrew it a bit and it will not cut on ,, well this will do that ,, it will not cut on,, meaning the light will not ,, but say u have it off and unscrew it or lock it out ,, and then u hit the buttong to cut it on the light stays off but if u screw it back down the light will come on , so i guess the switch doesnt lockout but the case being unscrewed keeps it from coming on ,, dont know if this mades sense to u guys but that is what it does basically ,lol

Last edited:

madi05

Enlightened
Re: LF3XT vs. UF A1 from a noobie perspective! (LOTS OF PICTURES!)

Ok my PVD LF3XT came in today and all i can say is amazing and im pretty happy, i took the pics fast cause i had to go pick up my little girl but i wanted u guys to see it and i also did a little comparison beam shot for u to view, not great but u can see what is going on, lol

first pics is how it arrived to me ,, i like to put a dab of oil on my pvd subjects when they are beadblasted with more grain because i feel it makes it look less rugged than fresh, but after a few handling with your hands the oil from your hands will darken it a bit anyway, lol this finish makes it a little more grippy as well, keep in mind u can choose to do a satin finish , or less beadblassted or light matte look or high polished look ,, i chose this to be more tool looking if u get my drift, lol

all put back together fresh
note the discoloration u see is deadsking or cloth from the wipe down, lol it is uniform in this matte black color u see , also im not the worlds best photagrapher , lol

some fun in a glass of water test for u

yes i went with the orange oring ,, and as u can see i removed the so called crenulated bezel indentions, lol makes it more palmier and didnt effect the beam at all

after the water submersion in the hand pics (see how it looks more like a tool now)

see how it fits in the palm better now, just a bit smaller

oh yeah i havent put the tritium in the slot i made for it yet but here is a pic of it and i will fill it in with glow powder around it so it will look nice and neat and i polished it out to a shinier finish as well , just something a bit different :whistle:

another orange oring shot after the water test and also i would like to note maybe it is just me but the orange oring makes the tint a bit warmer ,, or maybe the A1 is just whiter , hmmm i will have to do some experimenting with that to be sure, lol

beamshots comparison,, left is A1 and right is LF3XT ,, see how warm the LF3XT is? but the A1 looks good too, i think both are about the same on bright , lf3xt has just a hair smoother beam but not by as much as i was thinking it would have

this is about a foot from the wall on the lowest setting A1 left ,LF3XT on right , keep in mind the walls in these pics are a beigy color ,, i couldnt do the shot in my office because it was too lighted today unlike last night when i did the A1 pics up above (in person the LF3Xt is lower in low but again the A1 is not bad and can be more used for reading in the bed better than the low in the LF3XT , but the LF3XT can be more useful just waking up and wont hurt your eyes better) the pro to the LF3Xt is that u can make it the same as the A1 level , lol

this is the A1 by itself on low about a foot away (little less smooth beam but again for the price its not bad)

this is the LF3XT by itself on low about a foot away (very smooth beam )

now side by side size pics (note the A1 on tailstand is leaning a hair, because the rubber boot on the clicker has too much play , if it was tight to the cliker it would sit flush ,, something i will fix as soon as i figure out how to get to that part, lol)

this will show how much shorter i made the LF3XT ,, it was probably about the same or a bit longer than the A1 initially

fun shot with them in candle mode with highest brightness ,, it looks like the A1 is alot brighter but i think it is just reflecting more in the picture, in real life they are about the same ,, the LF3XT could be a smidgen more throw or bright but it is really hard to tell by the eye imo, could be my wallet says it is brighter , lol

all in all i like them both ,, i think i will be putting the same finish on the A1 , or if i like the siren AK16 better Babydoc i may fancy that one up , dont know yet and u never can tell with me, lol

another note , they both get to about the same warmness on bright settings ,, also note my pics dont do them justice,, the side by side comparison pics make the LF3XT look darker than it really and then the first pics look light greyer than it really is, lol its all about the lighting in photagraphy and as u can see i didnt set up my photo box , lol

hope u enjoy this and please let me here your opinions

madi05

Last edited:

madi05

Enlightened

reserved again, :thumbsup:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice review - thanks. I've got the A1 also as well as the LF3XT. The A1 is a nice value but I wouldn't trade a dozen of them for my LF3XT. But then almost no light using a Cree XR-E has as good of a beam as the LF3XT nor the programability of it. However IMO the A1 is one of the best lights around in the ~ $20 or less basket.

madi05

Enlightened

Nice review - thanks. I've got the A1 also as well as the LF3XT. The A1 is a nice value but I wouldn't trade a dozen of them for my LF3XT. But then almost no light using a Cree XR-E has as good of a beam as the LF3XT nor the programability of it. However IMO the A1 is one of the best lights around in the ~ $20 or less basket.

i agree ,, the lf3xt is fun and the beam is smooth as silk, but the A1 is alot of bang for your buck and for a noob to high end flashlights its a keeper imo

btw the little canvas sheath it came with can easilly hand on your key chain and i think this is how i will use it mainly as a key chain light ,, the sheath is small enough imo to make it not so bulky and protect it from getting banged up by your keys, but u can drill a hole in the tail cap and put a key ring in that way as well, but i suspect she will get banged up fairly bad like that , lol

soon as i get my lf3xt back from being pvd i will do a beam shot show for u with it

madi05

madi05

Enlightened

i was basically comparing it to what i think is the best 123 class light(LF3xt)(again opinions are like u know what , we all have them) ,, and basically i think the A1 compares nicely and for the price it is very nice imo and a tad bit smaller in size as well and a tad bit brighter to boot:twothumbs

so if the lumapower is better than the LF3xt in your opinion being brightness is more and the functions then the A1 may be more compareable to that better but from what i have read the lumapower is a great little light but not really better than the lf3xt

madi05

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

You done good, Madi05. Makes me want a UF A1, too. Like I really need another. Can't wait to see your custom LF3XT. Thanks for taking the time for this. Your pics are very nice, especially those close-ups. Keep up the good work. We appreciate it.

Btw. I'll bet you're an excellent watchsmith. I've got this broken Vostok...:eek:

Geoff

madi05

Enlightened

well thanks alot FT ,, these little posts take some time to post and i did it fast compared to some i have done,, lights are so easy to take apart is why , lol watches takes hours and hours of tidious time to dissassemble, lol and your screw ups can cost u alot so u better not just guesstimate in time keeping work, lol

this was my first informational post on cpf , so i wanted to make a good first impression,, even though im a newbie, lol

if u are loving flashlights like i am ,, being u have given me advice in the past ,, u should get u an A1 , they really are cool for the cash,, i just ordered me another just to have ,, im putting this on on my keychain ,, its as bright if not brighter than our lf3xt and very usable and u dont feel bad if u ding it up, lol comes with a case u can just attach to your keychain to carry

madi05

pm or email me if u ever need something watch or light related, i will try my best to help

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LF3XT vs. UltraFire A1 from a noobie perspective! (LOTS OF PICTURES!)

Nice first review, Joe! Keep them coming. :twothumbs

I have played around with inexpensive lights and they ARE fun and are great for a newbie to wet his teeth on, or for a light a more experienced person like yourself won't cry about if you lose it. I think, though, if you did runtimes on this light, you would quickly see that in spite of how bright this light appears initially, it probably isn't regulated and it will dim over time more quickly than a regulated light like the LF3XT. The finish on the light may look good, but for $16, it isn't likely to be a hard anodized finish that will hold up as well as on the LF3XT. That should make you feel better that along with the great programmability of the LF3XT, you are actually getting something more for your $60 vs your $16. I am pretty sure, however, you already knew all this.

madi05

Enlightened

HI BD , u are correct ,, the finish and the functionality is greater on the lf3xt and that is what u pay for ,,lol even though the finish isnt something for me cause im already changing that, lol but by a mile the finish is much sturdier looking on the higher priced lights ,, as for runtime reglulated, i cant tell, but i did play with it all night and it is stayed bright the whole time,, (only because my lf3xt isnt around,, lol) i cant wait till it gets back so i can do some actual runtimes etc.

for me on the finish ,, if the pvd comes back like i think it will, then that shouldnt be a concern for me if it is cheap or not ,, cause i like to tinker with finish anyway , lol

im glad u and h2 and others enjoyed my review

as for this cheaper priced light it is very nice for the money imo and worth every penny, i do believe u get what u pay for but in this particular case i feel i got a bargain ,, this little beast a bright as hek,, and i think will be my keychain light with the sheath and all

thanks
madi05

btw keep a look out on this thread i will be updating it with my lf3xt mods and runtimes as well ok

Frankiarmz

Enlightened

Great review, nice to hear some positive things regarding the A1 since I have one on order. I am concerned however, because it is taking a long time to get here! I ordered the A1, Ultrafire C3 and a few other goodies which were shipped on 1/5. I hope they get here in the next day or two, just don't want to get skunked and not receive my order.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Stuff from Kaidomain and DX sometimes tends to get hung up a bit in Hong Kong. I know it's tough to be patient, but you'll be happy soon. You might have to go to the post office and sign for it, too.

Geoff

madi05

Enlightened

I knnow im a noob but i find to limit my order one a piece for some reason they ship it out faster , than a big order ,, it usually takes a month from start to finish or a bit longer

glad u like the review

madi05

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I knnow im a noob but i find to limit my order one a piece for some reason they ship it out faster , than a big order ,, it usually takes a month from start to finish or a bit longer

glad u like the review

madi05

Actually, I have heard from others that what you are doing, ordering one item at a time, IS the best way to do it. I am not sure that it is any quicker, but DX and Kaidomain are less likely to screw up your order. When you order mulitple items, they often leave out an item. I am not sure why this is particularly true with these Hong Kong companies. I would be only guessing to say that perhaps there is a language problem, but I really don't know.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

madio5 - can you elaborate a bit on what pvd finish is and what's involved including cost. Do you have to strip the anodising first? I found that it is a brass like finish but I don't think I've ever seen this done on a light AFAIK. It sounds very interesting.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those are some really fat hands. :grin2:

(kidding)

Nice review, thank you. :)

madi05

Enlightened

Those are some really fat hands. :grin2:

(kidding)

Nice review, thank you. :)
RFLMAO ok i knew someone couldnt resist, lol

thanks i think , lol

madi05

pvd is basically a tool coating ,, used alot to resist rare and corrosion, in the watch industry it is being used alot ,, if applied to a shiney polished finish it looks like black ceramic , if u beadblast it is looks like a very cool matte grey black ,, sort of rustic looking imo but robust

it is one of the thinnest coatings to apply for longevity and durability and doesnt change the characteristics of the subject meaning if u coat a screw and its threads and whatever it screws into , it shouldnt change it to fit like it did before it was coated

this is the simplest way to explain it ,, there are color options but the one i just described is the more durable of the others ,, the color ones are made up of a weaker content in order to add the color ,, such as gold, blue, purple, platinum , etc.

hope this helps
madi05