Malkoff 4D Mag dropin heat question

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about getting a Malkoff dropin for my 4D Maglite to use as a light that I carry in my car for emergencies. In the summer, the outside temperature here reaches 100 degrees on a regular basis. If I leave the dropin in the car will the heat damage it?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might damage the batteries, but I don't think it will damage the actual LED as long as it is not left in for too long. LEDs can reach 100 degrees while on, so leaving them in 100 degree weather shouldn't pose to much of a risk; however I really don't know... Better leave this to the experts.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It shouldn't be a problem. 100 degree Fahrenheit poses no problems, 100 degree Celsius would be more of a problem.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Crack your windows. I am thinking about using a small cooler to keep my lights and batteries in, when storing them in my car.

Bill

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I keep my unmodified maglite in my car now and I am sure that my battery life is shortened by the heat. Interestingly, when I had energizer batteries in it, they exploded. I switched to Duracell and have never had a problem since. I change them about every year and it has not failed me since.

If it gets to 100 degrees outside, inside the car I think it can get to 140 degrees!? Does anyone know if the LED will survive 140 degrees?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I would worry about, leaving a Mag in my car is leaking
alkaline batteries :(

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to know for sure then you could always send Gene Malkoff an email and ask him.