Single LEDs that are multi colored..

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I've been reading that there are single LEDs that produce several colors but wasn't sure if I understood that right. Is this a new LED on the market and are there lights at 2009 Shot show that use such LEDs?

Marduke

Flashaholic
IIRC, because they are less efficient, more complicated, and more expensive than using monochrome emitters.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Peak offers RGB LEDs in several of their models; they're pretty much a novelty in a basic flashlight format since there's no way to create an interface that could control all of the LEDs parameters. All Peak's RGB lights slowly and randomly cycle through colors, which is quite the fireworks show when you have several LEDs going at once.

My McKinley:

Peak1.jpg

bretti_kivi

Enlightened
there are also high powered RGBs available - but why would you need it in a flashlight? Build some thing with several emitters in the correct colours...
and the user interface is a real pain.

Bret

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
RGB LEDs aren't really one LED perhaps in the sense you're thinking; it's more like 3 different emitters under one dome.
There have been 5mm LEDs like that for quite some time like has been stated. Nothing really decent yet for power LEDs though due to (I beleive) poor efficiency in the green dies.
Another problem with them is they cast small color shadows because the three colors don't come from exactly the same place.
RGBs are posibly going to be used in the future, but right now they just can't compete with current phosphor based technology for "white" light.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 100-bag of "slow flash" RGB 5mm LEDs. They are great for mood lighting, or weird mods such as in car radios for a trippy front panel (mod by yours truly), but they obviously have no use for lights that have to be useful.

Dan wrote about the same LEDs here.