Looking for a light for under $150

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping that someone could help me find the best possible light for under $150 dollars. I am looking for a light to replace my Inova T4. The T4 I had is the older model 125 lumens and I have sold it along with my Inova XO3 to help fund a new light. I am looking for a light that includes a rechargeable system similar to the Inova T4.

I am mostly just looking for recommendations on the best possible light in my price range that is along the same lines of the T4 as far as rechargeability and reliability, but with increased technology and light.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

There aren't a lot of quality cradle rechargeable lights on the market. But you could perhaps just get an updated T4. The 2008 model is rated at a true 175 lumens.
Pelican makes two nice rechargeable lights. the 7060 "LAPD" and a newer much larger 8060 model. These are reportedly more throw-y so they're better for illuminating a target at a distance.
A streamlight stinger may also be something to look into as well; I hear they may have a new updated version.
To give a better answer it'd help we know what you want to use it for or just other preferences in general.
;)

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I realize that the new T4 is in my price range and is rated at 175 lumens, I was just hoping to find someother comparable lights to choose from. As far as the purpose for this light, I work as a campus supervisor at a High School, and I am the first one to arrive at the school to open up each morning. So I need a light that I will use daily in the morning as the campus does not have proper lighting.

I think that the T4 served its purpose, but often times when I would try to illuminate an object across campus, it would not throw the light far enough. A perfect example would be if I was to stand on the other side of the 100-yard football field, and try to illuminate the press box on the other side of the field, it would barely reach it in complete darkness. I would like a light that can reach further then the T4, but also provide close range illumination occasionally too. I love my 6d maglite with the Xenon bulb, but it is not rechargable and definately not practical to carry around everyday.

Does that help? If I was to increase my price range to $200 would there be more options, or am I better off purchasing a light and then also rechargeable batteries and a charger?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

There aren't a lot of quality cradle rechargeable lights on the market. But you could perhaps just get an updated T4. The 2008 model is rated at a true 175 lumens.
Pelican makes two nice rechargeable lights. the 7060 "LAPD" and a newer much larger 8060 model. These are reportedly more throw-y so they're better for illuminating a target at a distance.
A streamlight stinger may also be something to look into as well; I hear they may have a new updated version.
To give a better answer it'd help we know what you want to use it for or just other preferences in general.
;)

+1

I'd get a new T4 or either one of the Pelicans.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep the Pelican lights or a Polystinger LED from Streamlight may be what you're looking for. I'm not sure how well the new 2008 Inova T4 throws.

But if you want cradle charging you won't have much more of a choice than these ones. If you can survive taking a battery out of the light to charge it you have 10 more high quality lights to choose from. :naughty:

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think i have decided to try and change out the emitter on the T4 I have now. I saw a few posts about someone doing it successfully by heating the tip of the light up with a torch, and holding it in place with a vice to break the thread locker loose.

They mentioned a P4 emitter for the swap, so I was hoping that I could post a picture here when I get the light disassembled this evening and see if you guys can help direct me towards the best option for the emitter swap.

Wish me luck

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm not sure about the emitter swap.

What will you use the light for?
How much throw or flood?
Strong spill beam or none at all?
How much runtime?
Cradle charging or rechargeable batteries?
Multimode?(low, high, strobe etc.)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought you said you sold that T4? :duh2:
If you still have it give inova a call, you can likely send it back to them and for a bit of money upgrade to a new model.

Toaster

Enlightened
Emitter swap is not gonna give you the reach you want. Inova T4 is a floody light not designed for throw. Same goes for the 2008 model. There are much better choices if you ditch the cradle charging requirement.

ilLUMENati

Newly Enlightened
You have a budget cap of $150? Uh, you can get several really nice lights for that kind of scratch.

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
I thought you said you sold that T4? :duh2:
If you still have it give inova a call, you can likely send it back to them and for a bit of money upgrade to a new model.

I did say that, I meant I was in the process of selling it on ebay but have removed the auction. My Inova actually is the 2008 model afterall, I feel pretty stupid after taking it apart and leaving scratches on it. Awell, think before you post, right

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
Emitter swap is not gonna give you the reach you want. Inova T4 is a floody light not designed for throw. Same goes for the 2008 model. There are much better choices if you ditch the cradle charging requirement.

Well the cradle charging environment is just convenient. But If I could find a decent light and a seperate charger and batteries for the same price with increased output then I would run with it.

And I guess I would want a light with more "throw" as opposed to "flood".

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
I have the T4 and the Pelican 7060 and I can tell you the 7060 will throw over 100 yards with ease! But if I was you,I would go with either a DBS V3 R2 (http://www.dereelight.com/dbsv2.htm) or a Magcharger with an upgrade to a Phillips 5761 bulb(use the search feature).

That looks like a great light (DBS). I will do some research on it.

I like the Magcharger, but again it is about a 5d size I believe... I already have a 4d Mag and a 6d mag, so would prefer a smaller light that I can carry without it looking like a club.

Toaster

Enlightened
Well the cradle charging environment is just convenient. But If I could find a decent light and a seperate charger and batteries for the same price with increased output then I would run with it.

And I guess I would want a light with more "throw" as opposed to "flood".

Fenix TK11 R2 (code 'cpf8' for 8% discount on order)
Ultrafire AW-139 Dual Bay Fast Charger
AW 18650 li-on rechargeable battery x2

Total: $121.83 including shipping

Fenix TK11 R2 is an excellent thrower with enough spill for general use. It'll throw a little over twice as far as your T4. Holster is included but it's small enough to fit in a jacket pocket or large pants pockets. Simple high/low mode selection. And lifetime warranty from 4Sevens.

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
I actually went with the Dorcy Cree XRE 220 lumen light from Sears for $50. I saw the beamshots on another thread compared to the Dereelight DBS V2 Q5 3S, and the Tiablo A10 R2 WC. I thought that they looked pretty similar, although in real life the Dorcy is not going to outperform the higher end models, and the durability/craftsmanship is not going to be as good. But for $50, this is a great thrower.

I had to go to every Sears near Los Angeles, and when I got to the 5th store today I finally found One. It was the only one that any Sears had within 100 miles of Los Angeles. But I bought the light with a gift card and paid for the gas with a visa gift card, so this light was technically free.

sethistruckin

Newly Enlightened
Haha, if I start thinking that way then I will be broke by the end of the year. Id rather not spend anything I dont have to at this point, Im also trying to buy a house sometime this year.