Flashlight with good throw.

superpila

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I own a Fenix PD30 as a general purpose flashlight (what a great piece of HW it is!) and a budget P7 flashlight from DX, whose build quality is not that great, but I love the brightness of this LED. I also have an LD01 "on steroids" (running on a 10440) for EDC.
I'm brand new to CPF and relatively new to high end flashlights, while I've always been interested in "bulbs and batteries" both for fun and job

I wanted to complete my weaponry with a good thrower. Since I really love my PD30, I was thinking about a TK11 from Fenix, but I'm opened to other brands as well.
What do you guys suggest? Besides good throwing, I was looking for good portability (single 18650 max) and price not that high. I don't plan to run it more than 20-30 minutes per day, so battery life is not a must, wile running on rechargeable is a must for me (since I'd use it every day).
Also, does such a flashlight exist with a P7? I'm impressed by the amount of light this led produces, but I've read elsewhere in CPF that these leds are not suitable for long throwing (yet?).
Thanks for your help!

And by the way, since this is my first post here, I want to congratulate for this cool forum! From the moment I've found it I can't stop reading it, and I know that this will cost me a lot of money in the future :broke:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Someone in another thread suggested that new users should have a ban on them to keep them from creating threads until they had posted 15-20 times. They then go on to urge those noobs to use the search function. I'm not about to do the former but I will suggest the latter.

As for your question, I can only talk about lights I own (without doing a search of my own). I know when I was a noob myself (not too long ago), what I craved was real opinions from users like me. Here goes:
While I have both a 500+ lum. DBS v.3 (MC-E), it's equipped with a OP (orange peel) reflector and has four dies, which can't be focused properly for throw. But at short distances it's a friggin' wall of light!

My DBS v.2 is equipped with a single stage Q5/R2 pill (single stage means full brightness all the time, no stages). I keep it like that for signaling and the R2 upgrade was definitely worth it for me, I COULD tell the difference between Q5 and R2.

Small lights? I EDC (every day carry) my Nitecore D10, GDP. I also have a Nitecore D10 Q5 on my nightstand. Love them both but the GDP is so even and creamy it's just a shade nicer than my Fenix L1T. No inductor whine on either of my Nitecores or the extra I got my bro, though other people report more instances of whine with the GDP, I got a Q5 that whined . . . all the way back to the retailer. It's a lottery.

I also EDC a Dereelight CL1H with a 3SD Q5 pill (3 stages that can only be powered with one 18650 battery) and a smooth reflector. It's small enough to fit on my belt and I never feel it! This is in contrast to the DBS's. I love those things but their reflectors are too big to put on my belt.

Let's see, oh yes! The lights that started it are my Husky 2D 4 watt. I took it out to compare with my (little) CL1H. It's definitely out blasted even though it's 3 times the size (and weight) and it's plastic lens is scratched up pretty thoroughly, even though I've treated it with kid gloves. Now I know why Glass is king! My Task Force Cree (60x, not luxeon) is still a favorite of mine, mostly because of the holster (the CL1H is smaller). Bare aluminum is kinda nice and it's my only light with an optic. It has a plastic lens too, but since it has a holster it's fared better than my Husky. Still, I like having a torch that reminds me of a lightsaber! :touche:

Now I'm looking to order a Malkov to mod up my Mag 3D. Maybe I should get a glass lens for it too? But this is the wrong forum for that.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot :welcome:. Since no one ever welcomed me, have one ON me! You're right. This site is great reading but hard on the ole wallet.

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Oh yeah, almost forgot. Get your batteries from AW. Great service and his cells are excellent. Watch the language barrier. It's caused a couple of miscommunications in the past (only once with me, though).

jake25

Enlightened
Someone in another thread suggested that new users should have a ban on them to keep them from creating posts until they had posted 15-20 times. They then go on to urge those noobs to use the search function. I'm not about to do the former but I will suggest the latter.
Just to clarify I stated a ban from creating threads:poke:

And yes, use search!

:welcome:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to go cheap but still get decent quality you can get the HS-802 from DX. I saw some comparison pics and it's almost as bright as the DBS, drives it's R2 led at about 1.3 amps. It has a reflector that's deeper than the DBS at 58 mm deep so it focuses tighter. Really though at the distances your talking about 500+ feet all the good throwers reach about the same useful distance.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What price range are you looking at?
Also how much throw?

The Seoul P7 and Cree MC-E have 4 dies, which gives a larger emitting area and need a larger reflector to throw the same beam pattern as their smaller cousins.

I'd suggest checking out the Dereelight DBS, Tiablo lights, and probably a few others.

Or you can get inline for a DEFT if you want that much throw.

:welcome: