Help for my school project

Link71690

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I am Sasha's son, and I just joined CPF.

I need help with my school project, which is about state of the art technology. I am using powerpoint to present this project in computer class. The powerpoint project needs to have two new technology products. So, I was wondering, can any of you give me two flashlight products that would represent state of the art technology. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Thank you in advance.

Kit

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
McLux & EternaLight Elite Max!! Now you have to figure out why they represent "state of the art"...oooo so many reasons to be discovered! Good luck!

Empath

Flashaholic
State of the Art? You might try searching for threads on the Mclux. It would be the state of the art as far as LED lights go. For incandescents, you might search the General Flashlight forum for Surefire threads.

Link71690

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Actually, we short changed you. There's just so many advances going on right now in lighting that it's a bit much to tackle all at once. Fluorescence is improving through "cold cathode fluorescence", the field of HID, or "high intensity discharge" is making roads into portable lighting, reflectors, voltage and current regulation, lenses. There's a lot of cutting edge technology going on. But, the LED is one of the more exciting areas.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Surefire A2 Aviator. I believe it is the first flash light using regulation (electronic circuitry) to power an incandesant lamp.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Thomas Edison invented the phonograph and his invention has seen the end of its days with CDs and MP3 audio.

Thomas Edison invented incandescent lights. You are lucky to see the dying days of incandescent lights.

Thomas Edison was a true genius. His inventions enriched and will continue to enrich the lives of billions of people.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Kit!

Don't forget the HID's! (as Empath said above)

There are 2 great state-of-the-art lighting technologies entering the flashlight realm these days. One, as mentioned in the great examples above, is the LED lighting.

The other is from a light source like those on the high-end autos and is termed "High Intensity Discharge" lighting (a.k.a. "HID" and pronounced by just saying the names of the letters).

So if I were to recommend only 2 lights that are state of the art I'd have to recommend that you choose 1 from the LED category, and 1 from the HID category.

The problem here is that the HID lights are incredibly expensive (min about $400) so you might be stuck just showing the light from pics in the powerpoint presentation. If that fits with the assignment, then surf on over to the HID forum and also check out a great set of pages compiled by members Kenshiro and Mr. Ted Bear on their Superlight Shootout. They've spent a gazillion hours compiling that info, and with loads of pics of the lights and their beams.

Aside from this, there are plenty of state-of-the art filament flashlights that should be talked about. For example, it's no easy feat to keep a 500-lumen bulb (such as in Surefire's M6 or 10X) from frying its internals. But if you can only choose 2 lights I suppose it's probably going to be sufficient to have an LED and an HID.

[edit] Note that my suggestions only focus on the light emitter. The other parts of the flashlight's technology are changing rapidly too, and those might be what you want to consider too. The A2 as mentioned in the other posts is indeed a good example that combines an advanced (a) emitter(has 2 types too), (b) power source, and (c) regulation circuitry.

[another edit] You might want to check out Don Klipstein's website for how stuff works. I've found no better for HID. There's also LED info and lots of other stuff I haven't even looked through yet. I also believe he's a member here, though I don't happen to know his username. As for LED's, you gotta head to Craig's site for some fantastic diagrams & descriptions in the FAQ section about how LED's work. There are lots of other member's sites that are great too.

Link71690

Newly Enlightened
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, do you have any thing that has a computer in it? If so, wouldn't that be a good flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an Eternalight ?

elitexray8small.jpg

Manufacturers Quote:
EternaLights are the most technologically advanced personal lighting instruments available!

eternaLights(tm) are white LED flashlights that utilize powerful WHITE LED and microprocessor technologies to create the brightest and longest lasting flashlights in the world! And, eternaLights have more unique and powerful features than any other flashlights ever made!

***EDIT***
<font color="green">Sigman</font> <font color="blue">Beat me to the punch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font>

Greta

Flashaholic
HEY!! My kid is posting from school!! What's up with that? Get to class, Kit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Kit,

You might also have a chat with Peter at ARC Flashlight. The new L4 (coming soon - I hope) has a programmable chip in it.

Tom

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Link, if you are covering state-of-the-art technology and you want a presentation that will blow people away, forget about flashlights and cover the topic of "thermal depolymerization." This is an emerging technology that efficiently converts garbage into valuable energy resources. There was a thread here recently about it, but a good place to start is a Discover Magazine article from the February (?) issue that can be found on the web by searching the quoted phrase above.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Link71690

Newly Enlightened
Can somebody tell me what a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif thermal depolymerization is? Can you also provide a picture?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Link71690 said:
Can somebody tell me what a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif thermal depolymerization is? Can you also provide a picture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Details and a few pictures here