[Computer Security] QuickTime security update available for Windows & Mac

mechBgon

Enlightened
If you have QuickTime installed, there's an update, QuickTime 7.6, that fixes some security bugs. They could result in remote code execution or just a QuickTime crash.

Since most of the vulnerabilities they're fixing are buffer-overflow attacks, this would also be a good time for Windows XP / Vista users to check that their hardware-enforced Data Execution Prevention is fully enabled, as a proactive defense. You can reach the Data Execution Prevention settings by right-clicking My Computer on the desktop screen or the Start menu, choosing Properties to open the System Properties panel (and then clicking System Protection if you have Windows Vista), and then doing what's shown in this picture to fully enable the protection. Naturally, you'll need to be logged in as an Administrator-level user to change this setting.

If fully-enabled Data Execution Prevention makes some of your legit software crash, you can use the Add button on that panel to add that software as an exception. Before doing that, see if there's a patch or updated version of the software that doesn't trigger DEP, because it really should not be doing that in the first place.

On the computer-security tangent, I did a writeup of a Windows worm that's getting a lot of press coverage at the moment, so if anyone finds such things interesting, here you go: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=76&threadid=2268929 This is about the Conficker.B / Downadup / Kido worm, which infects portable devices and also spreads on the network by a couple different mechanisms. It's not very noteworthy, other than the amount of press coverage it got, but whatever :tinfoil:

Last edited:

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bringing this thread back to life because I was watching "60 Minutes" last night, and one of the program segments included a piece about the Conficker worm noted in the opening post. Supposedly something major is scheduled to happen this Wednesday, April 1st.

According to mechBgon above, Conficker is not very "noteworthy." Does that mean I don't really have to worry about it, or just that it is not so different from all the other worms and viruses infecting computers every day? Or has the worm morphed into something worse since the opening post was made?

"60 Minutes" made Conficker seem like a doomsday worm that could bring us all down (much like the Y2K virus years ago...?!?). So, is "60 Minutes" just scare-mongering, or is there a real threat, or am I just an April Fool???

mechBgon

Enlightened
Bringing this thread back to life because I was watching "60 Minutes" last night, and one of the program segments included a piece about the Conficker worm noted in the opening post. Supposedly something major is scheduled to happen this Wednesday, April 1st.

According to mechBgon above, Conficker is not very "noteworthy." Does that mean I don't really have to worry about it, or just that it is not so different from all the other worms and viruses infecting computers every day? Or has the worm morphed into something worse since the opening post was made?

"60 Minutes" made Conficker seem like a doomsday worm that could bring us all down (much like the Y2K virus years ago...?!?). So, is "60 Minutes" just scare-mongering, or is there a real threat, or am I just an April Fool???

F-Secure has a good FAQ that answers those questions: Questions and answers: Conficker and April 1st One sample:

Q: Is there going to be media hype?

A: Oh yes. Like there always is when a widespread worm has a date trigger. Think cases like Michelangelo (1992), CIH (1999), Sobig (2003), Mydoom (2004) and Blackworm (2006).

So if your computer's infected with certain Conficker variants, it may update on April 1st, or any other day of the year for that matter.

If your computer's not infected, then it doesn't affect you at all.

If you're not sure whether your computer is infected or not, you can always run F-Secure's Easy Clean tool to check (although hopefully you have an antivirus program or at least have your Windows Updates enabled, since Windows Update's Malicious Software Removal Tool will remove Conficker).

And if your computer is clean, and you want to ensure it stays clean, then see my thread at AnandTech, or other Conficker resources, to understand how network worms and device-hopping worms operate, and how to counteract them :tinfoil:

Last edited: