spare dereelight smooth reflector -> cut C mag

MWClint

Enlightened
Picked up a smooth dereelight reflector a while back with the intention of using it in a mag. was bored today, so i figured i'd see what i could come up with.

cut down a 2C mag and used the section with the threaded tail. cut it down to size to use with an aw 18650.

the head is lightly silicone glued for now. i might send it out for rethreading. I also plan on mounting a switch in the tail cap. for now it's ok as a twisty.

led is just a cree q5 wc i had lying around and am DD'ing it for now. I have some 800mah drivers, but DD is starting me at 1.3amps, so i'm leaving that
until the 1.2amp driver arrives.

i cut the heatsink from some old brass stock and press fit it down into the battery tube. ran the wires and it's good to go.

here's some quick pics.

tail.jpg

cree.jpg

cut.jpg

der.jpg

18650.jpg

q5wc.jpg

front.jpg

beam.jpg

beam2.jpg

twisty.jpg

MWClint

Enlightened
Oh Wow! took this light outside tonite. Now i see why everyone raves about
the throw factor of the dereelights. This reflector is absolutely amazing on a
high current driven cree.

Until now i've owned 0 throwers. looks like i'll have to grab an r2 dereelight and a raidfire spear, i'm sold. :devil:

Last edited:

MWClint

Enlightened
Nice! I thought about doing this myself. Does the reflector move around in the head at all?

nope, you want to space the heatsink far enough down into the mag
so that when the head is installed, the reflector seats onto the body tube and compresses the reflector into the lens. takes some trial and error
because you also need to get the led at the proper focus point.

and to keep the reflector centered at the lens, i just threw a large oring around it to take up the extra space. harbor freight o-ring asst, largest one in the pack.