KX2 and RCR123's

skillet

Enlightened
So, I spent the better part of last night googling for this and still didn't find a "yes" or "no" answer..

I have one of the early KX2, single stage head...

Will it or will it not run without damage on (2) RCR123 (3.7VDC)

Thanks

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, can't help on this one. I've never even heard of this light. I think there are so many lights available now that people are loosing track of them! I guess in this respect, too many lights can be a bad thing! :laughing:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Sorry, I have the exact same head and its my back up light with the Z-52 tailcap on a long clip body. I really like this light.

Like you I have not heard anyone using or any documentation saying it will support (2) RCR123 (3.7VDC) so I run only Sure Fire 123s, and thats OK with me as its main purpose is a back up light.

I do know the older KL1s went from 3 to 9 volts, but thats a different story.

Bill

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have run mine on 2xRCR123's for brief periods of time. I try to use low as much as possible, which should be fine.
I read that someone tried it before me and the driver got hot after extended running on high, but that may have been the E2DL, which many guessed had a similar driver. It is a little brighter on the higher voltage on low and high.

So my conclusion is that it is OK for short periods of time. Mine never got hot with just a minute or two on high.

Illum

Flashaholic
So, I spent the better part of last night googling for this and still didn't find a "yes" or "no" answer..

I have one of the early KX2, single stage head...

Will it or will it not run without damage on (2) RCR123 (3.7VDC)

Thanks

I've been running my single stage KX2 on 1x17670 for half a year now:nana:
1xRCR123A will work also, 2xRCR123A...dunno, scared to try:shakehead:shakehead

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I recommend that you do not run a KX2 head on 2 3.7V RCR123's.

A 17670 is good, an 18650 is even better. A minute or 2 won't kill it but 15 minutes probably will do some damage.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I can't help either as I do not have any 2 cell aleph/surefire bodies. I can say that all I run my KX2 is on 1 li-ion cell (aw protected rcr123). Like you, I wish there was a thread that had all of surefire's led heads and their min-max voltage range.

I'll second what Sgt. LED said and either use one 17500/17650 or 18500/18650 depending on the size of your tube.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though I DO run my KX2 occassionally on two RCR's (actually, just 2x RCR2 which may limit current and have some voltage drop) I would not recommend it either. I only do it because the low level comes on first, and I need to use my RCR2's more often. And then I only use high for a few seconds at a time.
Most of the time I use my new Fivemega 18500 body which is nearly ergonomic perfection.

coors

Enlightened
I have an E2L with a KX2 single-stage 45 lumen head on its way to me, right now (supposedly). It is to have the distinction of being my first Surefire flashlight. I'm considering purchasing some of these to use in it: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13810 Anyone know if these batteries are any good?
You've probably already seen this, but this guy used rcr123 (3.7v) in the 45lumen KX2 for his review of this head: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/183029 He's probably a good person to ask this question to.

coors

Enlightened
Here, read the bottom 1/3 of this page: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169212&page=4
Received an E2L w/ 1st Gen KX2 head (Cree/45_Lumen), today:
e2l_1.jpg

Seems like a very nice light!

*Edit* I just can't force myself to take the chance of messing this light up by trying rcr's. I thought that I could, but why risk messing up something this special (9 hrs of flat, 100% regulation). I have a new box (12x) of Surefires anyways. Tried an Ultra-Fire protected 17670, but it's too large to fit. I ordered some 3.0v rechargeables from DX, but because of Chinese New Year it will be awhile before I get those.

Last edited: