Flashlight help

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
I need a flashlight and I'm overwhelmed by the number of choices available. I'm hoping one of the flashlight RKI's can help me find what I'm looking for. I'm kind of a noob so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

What I'm looking for is a light that has three settings, off, on/low and on/high. I need this to work via a single switch and I don't want to have to cycle though anything to get to the setting I want. I don't care if it's a rocker switch or a slider, but the middle position should be off. No tail switches, please. I don't need five different settings and I for sure don't need a strobe function.

It needs to be pretty bight when on high. By that I mean around 100 lumens, give or take a bit. That's plenty bright for anything I might want to do with it and should still give a reasonable life span (like a couple of hours).

I just need it bright enough on the low setting to light a room or a path in the woods enough so I don't bump into furniture or trip over branches on the ground. It doesn't take much light to do this and on low I would expect a life span of days.

It needs to be water proof, within reason. It's not a dive light, but if my geeky nephew drops it in the toilet (again) or I end up working with it outside in the rain for an hour or two it should still function perfectly, every time.

I'd kind of prefer it have a polymer body to save weight but I still want a durable light so if it needs to be aluminum that's fine. I'm not too particular about what battery it takes, although I'd prefer either AA or the CR123.

Anything like this out there?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

jankj

Enlightened
What I'm looking for is a light that has three settings, off, on/low and on/high. I need this to work via a single switch and I don't want to have to cycle though anything to get to the setting I want.

From personal experience I would recommend a slightly different user interface that cycles through Off -> low -> high. The light ALWAYS starts in low mode so it won't ruin your night vision. No mode memory, no fuss. If you want a high mode, just dobble click. (Or triple click if you, like me, own a fenix with a medium mode ...).

The fenix lights, which I otherwise would recommend, has a way to bright low level for your needs. This is the only flaw I can find in fenix lights, by the way...

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
From personal experience I would recommend a slightly different user interface that cycles through Off -> low -> high. The light ALWAYS starts in low mode so it won't ruin your night vision. No mode memory, no fuss. If you want a high mode, just dobble click. (Or triple click if you, like me, own a fenix with a medium mode ...).

The fenix lights, which I otherwise would recommend, has a way to bright low level for your needs. This is the only flaw I can find in fenix lights, by the way...

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply but I think you've lost me. What possible benefit could there be in having to cycle through low to get to high, as opposed to simply pushing the switch directly to high? If I was concerned with my night vision I would simply push the switch to low.

I'm surprised that none of the premium makers seem to offer a simple, quality light. Does everyone really use the 5 brightness settings and IR strobe funtion packed into a two inch long light? Are the manufacturers so focused on stuffing more and more features into an ever smaller package that they've never stopped to ask themselves if it's a good idea?

Oh well, thanks anagin for taking the time to answer.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are asking for the Surefire L1, not exactly how you describe the switch.

The L1 switch operates like this: You press it and it comes on in low, you press it harder and it comes on high. For constant on you twist it. Twist, it comes on low, twist it more and it goes to high.

jankj

Enlightened
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply but I think you've lost me. What possible benefit could there be in having to cycle through low to get to high, as opposed to simply pushing the switch directly to high?

Well, if you want low AND high mode and only have a button of the "push" kind of type ...

Clearly I lost you - but I read your post once more. I see that you'd really like to have a slider or some equivalent kind of switch with 3 positions (low - off - high). I think that would be pretty hard to find. Most modern lights of modest size appear to have a clicky switch at the rear end. Probably because everyone appears to like the so-called "tactical" kind of lights... Another reason is a more simplistic hardware (no additional wires from the switch, all current runs through the aluminium body and modes are controlled by programming of the driver controls).

The fenix interface would actually come pretty close to what you want: One click -> low. Thighten the head a fraction and its one click -> turbo high. Exept of course:

- The switch is at the rear end.
- The low is far to bright for your requirements.
- there are 3 modes there that you don't want. (Sticking to one click, you won't see them either. Unless you turn off your light and then on so quick the UI thinks you made a double click).

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
divine said:
I think you are asking for the Surefire L1, not exactly how you describe the switch.

The L1 switch operates like this: You press it and it comes on in low, you press it harder and it comes on high. For constant on you twist it. Twist, it comes on low, twist it more and it goes to high.

Thanks for responding. It looks like the Surefire E2L has the run time I would like. Would you know if the switch works the same way as the L1 you recommed?

jankj said:
Well, if you want low AND high mode and only have a button of the "push" kind of type ...

Clearly I lost you - but I read your post once more. I see that you'd really like to have a slider or some equivalent kind of switch with 3 positions (low - off - high). I think that would be pretty hard to find. Most modern lights of modest size appear to have a clicky switch at the rear end. Probably because everyone appears to like the so-called "tactical" kind of lights... Another reason is a more simplistic hardware (no additional wires from the switch, all current runs through the aluminium body and modes are controlled by programming of the driver controls).

The fenix interface would actually come pretty close to what you want: One click -> low. Thighten the head a fraction and its one click -> turbo high. Exept of course:

- The switch is at the rear end.
- The low is far to bright for your requirements.
- there are 3 modes there that you don't want. (Sticking to one click, you won't see them either. Unless you turn off your light and then on so quick the UI thinks you made a double click).

Maybe everyone is buying lights with the tail switch because that's all that's out there to buy. I'm looking around on line and it looks like more often then not it takes both hands to turn on a flashlight. Press this, twist that and then cross your fingers and hope the thing doesn't come on in "blinding stobe" mode. :confused:

I guess this all works but seriously, if I'm reaching for a tactical light I can't help but think I'll have more important things on my mind then trying to remember the "process" required to turn on the light.

Thanks again for replying and trying to help.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The switch of the E2L is different then the L1's switch.

Most of these light are not meant to be tactical lights so they don't worry too much about a very simple user interface(the Fenix interface is actually pretty simple). A bright light is not a tactical light. A tail switch doesn't mean multimode.

Also the problem about the type of switch you want is complexity. Surefire has spend a good amount of time making the L1 and A2's switch work the way they do. Having 3 modes in one switch might be even harder. A slide switch is hard to machine in metal and can also be much harder to waterproof or requires an oddly shaped tube.

I don't remember polymer lights with multimode. I know there are a few but I don't think they are what you are looking for.

Some of the lights you can program to do something similar to what you want(3 modes single switch), but you'll have to tap the switch to change the mode.

:welcome:

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
The switch of the E2L is different then the L1's switch.

Most of these light are not meant to be tactical lights so they don't worry too much about a very simple user interface(the Fenix interface is actually pretty simple). A bright light is not a tactical light. A tail switch doesn't mean multimode.

Also the problem about the type of switch you want is complexity. Surefire has spend a good amount of time making the L1 and A2's switch work the way they do. Having 3 modes in one switch might be even harder. A slide switch is hard to machine in metal and can also be much harder to waterproof or requires an oddly shaped tube.

I don't remember polymer lights with multimode. I know there are a few but I don't think they are what you are looking for.

Some of the lights you can program to do something similar to what you want(3 modes single switch), but you'll have to tap the switch to change the mode.

:welcome:

Thanks for replying and for the welcome. Please forgive my use of the word "Tactical", it's not what I meant in the literal sense and not really the application I'm looking to address with this light. However, if I'm reaching for a flashlight then there is a good chance the circumstances are already less then ideal. At the very least the lights are out. In my life this is usually an indicator of a problem. With this in mind, I still think a simple, three position switch that gives me the option of directly and immediately accessing the level of light appropriate to the situation would have enough merit as to be available from someone, somewhere. Apparently no premium flashlight company produces anything of the kind.

I've got a desk lamp with a three position switch that works exactly like I want a flashlight to work, so the switch technology is not beyond the limits of modern engineering. It works great and the whole thing, lamp head, cord, clamping base and articulating arm cost less then a hundred dollars. It's difficult for me to imagine that building such a switch into a flashlight would be either particularly expensive or a difficult manufacturing challenge even with my need for moderate waterproofing.

danpass

Newly Enlightened
the A2 functions similar to the L1. It appears to meet all your requirements, even the lumens requirement is functionally equivalent (IMO, in my opinion).

It has become my EDC (every day carry).

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised that none of the premium makers seem to offer a simple, quality light. Does everyone really use the 5 brightness settings and IR strobe funtion packed into a two inch long light? Are the manufacturers so focused on stuffing more and more features into an ever smaller package that they've never stopped to ask themselves if it's a good idea?

nail and head comes to mind ;)

It takes a VERY brave manufacturer to come out with a light as simple as you've described nowadays, with the advent of 200+ lumen lights, "brighter is better" and "more throw is better" and "more lumens are better". If you want a nice, lower powered flooder, you're very limited for options, for example. Thankfully there are still pockets of sanity around (most notably malkoff and a few of the semi-custom guys), though no-ones quite got what you want sorted.

As for a light for you, I'd recommend the nitecore D10 or EX10. They don't exactly fit your needs, but from off, triple click will get you low mode every time, double click and then hold will get you max every time. Plus there's a load of levels in the middle should you need something in the middle, but you don't have to touch them if you don't want to. If you're not fussed by battery type, then performing an emitter swap on the EX10 to a Q2 5A warm tint will drop the output slightly bringing it closer to 100 lumens, but give a much nicer beam colour. Although it is possible to swap the emitter in the D10, its harder.

jankj

Enlightened
I appreciate your position - I certainly like to keep things simple.

Although it is entirely possible to manufacture such a light, most companies will go with the trends of the market. I'm afraid your specifications seems not to be any part of current market trends, so you will have a though part finding one. But do keep looking :)

Your next best option is to find a light that is close enough for comfort, i.e. a simplistic UI that is not exactly what you want, but one that you still will be quite happy with. You will get a lot of that kind of recommandations here :)

As for your "need a light" scenario - if it is pitch dark, ANY light EXEPT a strobe/SOS will be a huge improvement. So any flashlight where it is easy to find and press the switch without seeing will do. (Of course, you're looking for a light either without the strobe/SOS modes or one where those modes are well hidden.) Try finding the switch with thick gloves on and your eyes closed - this is a good indicator. (Maglite thumb switches are hard to find with gloves. Fenix tail switches are easy).

Based on my experience, it is better to start with a little light and add more if that's not enough. Low light leaves your night vision less disturbed, which is a very good thing. Switch to more light if you need to look further ahead or illuminate a wide area.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
So you want a cut down 1D LED Mag mod and a 3 CR123 battery holder with a 3 position rocker switch? Middle is off, depressed towards the tail is low, depressed towards the head is high.

Who around here used to use rocker switches in Mags.........

Last edited:

deranged_coder

Enlightened

All due respect, but just because a light manufacturer does not cater to your specific needs is no reason to assume that manufacturers are not thinking about whether or not what they are doing is a good idea. There are many premium makers that offer simple, quality lights, albeit not in the UI you are looking for. I can list a few below.

I'm looking around on line and it looks like more often then not it takes both hands to turn on a flashlight. Press this, twist that and then cross your fingers and hope the thing doesn't come on in "blinding stobe" mode. :confused:

I have yet to personally encounter a flashlight that takes both hands to turn it on. As a matter of fact, many flashlights are designed to be easily manipulated with a single hand. :thinking:

Now, getting back to your request for a simple, two level light, there are a few commonly available UIs for those that I have seen around. There may be more but I personally have not encountered them. The ones I am familiar with are:

• Two stage tailcap - similar to the Surefire L1 and Surefire A2 that has been mentioned before, press halfway to get momentary low, press all the way to get momentary high, twist the tailcap part way in for constant low, twist it all the way in for constant high.
  • tailcap on/off + rotate head to select low high - examples of this are the Fenix L1T and L2T, JetBeam Element and EagleTac flashlights. There is a tailcap switch that is actuated to turn the light on or off. To select the mode, tighten or loosen the head. If the head is on tight, the light comes on in high mode. If the head is slightly loosened, the light comes on in low mode. Once the light is on, one can switch between high and low modes by tightening or loosening the head without having to turn the light off.
  • Head twist activation and selection - an example of this is the Muyshondt Aeon. From an off position twist the head clockwise to switch on in low brightness, keep twisting further to access high brightness, twist counter-clockwise to turn the light off.

None of the lights I mention above have the "5 brightness settings and IR strobe funtion [sic]" that is bothersome to those who want a simple, two level light. :)

I realize that being told, "as far as I know, the UI you are looking for does not exist," is probably not the answer you are hoping for but I think at this point the forum members who have tried to help so far are stumped as far as finding a light that has the specific UI you are looking for. :shrug:

So, I think your options are:

• Keep waiting that someone else will chime in and give you the light you are looking for. There is still hope that the flashlight you want is already being made, you just need some patience and it will come. :)
  • Build one yourself (the guys in the custom section can give you lots of help and advice if you need it). If your building skills are up to the task, then building one yourself could be a fun, rewarding activity that will result in you getting the exact light that you want. :thumbsup:
  • Ask someone to build it for you. You can try asking in the custom section to see if there is someone who can do it for you. :)
  • Adapt to what is already out there and settle for something that is not exactly the specific UI that you originally desired but can still deliver what you need as far as getting a simple, two level light.

All the best in whatever route you choose. :)

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
danpass said:
the A2 functions similar to the L1. It appears to meet all your requirements, even the lumens requirement is functionally equivalent (IMO, in my opinion).
danpass said:
It has become my EDC (every day carry).

Thanks for the reply, I'll look at this and all of the suggestions made.

nail and head comes to mind
It takes a VERY brave manufacturer to come out with a light as simple as you've described nowadays, with the advent of 200+ lumen lights, "brighter is better" and "more throw is better" and "more lumens are better". If you want a nice, lower powered flooder, you're very limited for options, for example. Thankfully there are still pockets of sanity around (most notably malkoff and a few of the semi-custom guys), though no-ones quite got what you want sorted.

As for a light for you, I'd recommend the nitecore D10 or EX10. They don't exactly fit your needs, but from off, triple click will get you low mode every time, double click and then hold will get you max every time. Plus there's a load of levels in the middle should you need something in the middle, but you don't have to touch them if you don't want to. If you're not fussed by battery type, then performing an emitter swap on the EX10 to a Q2 5A warm tint will drop the output slightly bringing it closer to 100 lumens, but give a much nicer beam colour. Although it is possible to swap the emitter in the D10, its harder.

It's apparent that what I'm looking for doesn't exist and that I'll need to decide on what compromises need to be made. I'll be sure and look at each of your suggestions and thanks for taking the time to reply.

I appreciate your position - I certainly like to keep things simple.
Although it is entirely possible to manufacture such a light, most companies will go with the trends of the market. I'm afraid your specifications seems not to be any part of current market trends, so you will have a though part finding one. But do keep looking

Your next best option is to find a light that is close enough for comfort, i.e. a simplistic UI that is not exactly what you want, but one that you still will be quite happy with. You will get a lot of that kind of recommandations here

As for your "need a light" scenario - if it is pitch dark, ANY light EXEPT a strobe/SOS will be a huge improvement. So any flashlight where it is easy to find and press the switch without seeing will do. (Of course, you're looking for a light either without the strobe/SOS modes or one where those modes are well hidden.) Try finding the switch with thick gloves on and your eyes closed - this is a good indicator. (Maglite thumb switches are hard to find with gloves. Fenix tail switches are easy).

Based on my experience, it is better to start with a little light and add more if that's not enough. Low light leaves your night vision less disturbed, which is a very good thing. Switch to more light if you need to look further ahead or illuminate a wide area.

Simple is good, mostly. I'll be looking at all of the recommendations given. I need to decide what I can and can't live with now that I know what I initially described isn't available. I agree on low light being "first up" as something desirable in the light I'm looking for. Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

So you want a cut down 1D LED Mag mod and a 3 CR123 battery holder with a 3 position rocker switch? Middle is off, depressed towards the tail is low, depressed towards the head is high.
Who around here used to use rocker switches in Mags.........

I understand the part about the rocker switch and yes, that's what I apparently can't have in a modern flashlight.

deranged_coder said:
All due respect, but just because a light manufacturer does not cater to your specific needs is no reason to assume that manufacturers are not thinking about whether or not what they are doing is a good idea. There are many premium makers that offer simple, quality lights, albeit not in the UI you are looking for. I can list a few below.

Please don't take anything I've said as a complaint, it's my frustration at not being able to find something I incorrectly assumed would be fairly common that's showing through in my posts. A flashlight with both high and low settings is a wonderful thing but a tail switch seems to impose some inherent restrictions on being able to directly access both. The fact that a single tail switch can be made to do a multitude of things is interesting but seems less then ideal for this particular application.

deranged_coder said:
I have yet to personally encounter a flashlight that takes both hands to turn it on. As a matter of fact, many flashlights are designed to be easily manipulated with a single hand.

My apologies for the exaggeration and I have no doubt that the vast majority of flashlights are capable of producing some kind of light one handed. It is, of course, finding a particular mode that seems to take two hands. This may or may not be true, but it's the impression I'm left with in reading the operating instructions posted on line. Your descriptions below are good examples, as any time I'm supposed to twist something I assume I'll need one hand to hold the body of the light and the other to twist whatever it is I'm supposed to twist. That may not be true in all cases, but I don't have the hands on experience to know that.

deranged_coder said:
Now, getting back to your request for a simple, two level light, there are a few commonly available UIs for those that I have seen around. There may be more but I personally have not encountered them. The ones I am familiar with are:
deranged_coder said:
· Two stage tailcap - similar to the Surefire L1 and Surefire A2 that has been mentioned before, press halfway to get momentary low, press all the way to get momentary high, twist the tailcap part way in for constant low, twist it all the way in for constant high.
· tailcap on/off + rotate head to select low high - examples of this are the Fenix L1T and L2T, JetBeam Element and EagleTac flashlights. There is a tailcap switch that is actuated to turn the light on or off. To select the mode, tighten or loosen the head. If the head is on tight, the light comes on in high mode. If the head is slightly loosened, the light comes on in low mode. Once the light is on, one can switch between high and low modes by tightening or loosening the head without having to turn the light off.
· Head twist activation and selection - an example of this is the Muyshondt Aeon. From an off position twist the head clockwise to switch on in low brightness, keep twisting further to access high brightness, twist counter-clockwise to turn the light off.
None of the lights I mention above have the "5 brightness settings and IR strobe funtion [sic]" that is bothersome to those who want a simple, two level light.

I realize that being told, "as far as I know, the UI you are looking for does not exist," is probably not the answer you are hoping for but I think at this point the forum members who have tried to help so far are stumped as far as finding a light that has the specific UI you are looking for.

The people on this forum have been tremendously helpful and I appreciate all of the answers I've been give. It's apparent that what I want isn't available and I've already started the process of deciding what compromises need to be made and prioritizing those features that are available.

deranged_coder said:
So, I think your options are:
deranged_coder said:
· Keep waiting that someone else will chime in and give you the light you are looking for. There is still hope that the flashlight you want is already being made, you just need some patience and it will come.
· Build one yourself (the guys in the custom section can give you lots of help and advice if you need it). If your building skills are up to the task, then building one yourself could be a fun, rewarding activity that will result in you getting the exact light that you want.
· Ask someone to build it for you. You can try asking in the custom section to see if there is someone who can do it for you.
· Adapt to what is already out there and settle for something that is not exactly the specific UI that you originally desired but can still deliver what you need as far as getting a simple, two level light.
All the best in whatever route you choose.

I'm aware of my options, thanks. I've continued to respond in this thread not because I want to complain about not being able to get what I want, but to acknowledge the individuals who've taken the time to respond to my initial request. You apparently think I've gotten about all I'm going to get from this thread and I suspect you're right. That being the case, combined with me not wanting to ware out my welcome any further, I'll say thanks again to everyone that took the time to reply one last time and then move along.

Regards,
Steve

deranged_coder

Enlightened
It is, of course, finding a particular mode that seems to take two hands. This may or may not be true, but it's the impression I'm left with in reading the operating instructions posted on line. Your descriptions below are good examples, as any time I'm supposed to twist something I assume I'll need one hand to hold the body of the light and the other to twist whatever it is I'm supposed to twist. That may not be true in all cases, but I don't have the hands on experience to know that.

This really all depends on the light that you choose. Most of the lights that have a twisty UI can be operated with one hand and a bit of dexterity (ok, sometimes a lot of dexterity :p) albeit it is usually much easier and faster to simply use two hands.

I do not think you have worn out your welcome (believe me, the people here in the forum are a very welcoming bunch). However, I do think that we are out of ideas as far as getting you the light with the specific UI that you want. So we have been reduced to offering you alternative UIs in the hope that you will find one that, while not exactly the same as what you originally hoped for, will still work for you regardless.

So by all means, please keep providing feedback so we can help you find the light that can fulfill your requirements. :thumbsup:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Steve and welcome to CPF,
To be honest, for a new comer I think you've made a fine showing with your first thread!

You obviously spent a bit of time looking around first for what you wanted and were surprised to not find it. After reading your post last night I looked around too, thinking that surely somebody must make a light like you described (I always enjoy a good challenge).

Well, I was surprised too. Such a simple request, a 2 level water resistant light, one level reasonably bright, the other reasonably low..... with access to either level via or slider or rocker type switch.

I'll keep looking, I'd like one too! Let us know what you end up with.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are willing to pay a bit, a modder should be able to mod a light to fit what you want.

A rocker switch might be more susceptible to damage then a clickie, that could also be a reason for their scarcity.

Latest posts