Surefire

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering buying my first Surefire. I want something very bright for the size that is not too expensive. Any suggestions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Catman10

Enlightened
I just recieved my Z3 and love it. With the P91 head it is very bright. It may be a little big for EDC, but is not too expensive (relative to other surefires).

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big favorite to carry here is the E2E-HA but if that makes your wallet shriek /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif there is always the G2 or G2Z.

More will comment as it is in our nature, Welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have looked at the E2e-HA. Can anyone post beamshots of how it compares to the PT Tec 40? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

lhz

Newly Enlightened
I find the G2 to be the one that best fits your criteria. If I could turn back the clock I'd have bought a black G2 instead of the M2, which I've since found to be overkill for my needs(a little too large and heavy, not to mention very expensive. its a fantastic light though). I've decided I prefer Nitrolon to the heavier aluminium bodies, for the reduction in weight, corrosion resistance, better shock absorbsion, reduction in price etc etc.

tardis

Newly Enlightened
According to your needs the G2 looks a winner to me ! You can't go wrong. Maybe E2e later perhaps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
lhz: ditto...M2 is nice, but overpriced and overkill, and a little overweighted. i sold my M2 and got a C2 instead cos i needed the clip and found the grip ring very useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i've got a G2 on the way too.

lhz

Newly Enlightened
I like the combat grip myself, though I can live without the clip. I really should have bought the G2Z Nitrolon like I initially planned to, but at the time type 3 anodized aircraft grade aluminium seemed cooler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif To say nothing of the shock that the M2 does NOT include the lanyard, depite the wording on the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I like lanyards on all my lights, a habit carried over from night diving with my UK lights, its nice to know I won't lose the light if my hands lose their grip. It'd be nice if surefire actually made a dive light with their nitrolon body, with the twist-on talicap but minus the thumb switch. Or better yet, no tailcap but just a twist-on bezel (like the Q40), so that the light only needs one O-ring for water resistance. Also include a lanyard ring at the end of the light. Really, the UKs are excellent diving lights....but they're so...ugly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am seriously considering buying the G2+20 batteries from Botach. Any reason I shouldn't order from them? I have heard complaints about them in the past.

Catapult

Enlightened
Botach's prices are very tempting. Many have had bad experiences with them, and some had no trouble at all. Just be very careful. If you think it's worth the risk, then go for it. I've been thinking about risking it too. Maybe I'll give them a try soon.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure that you understand the risk in ordering from Botach. There have been problems with this dealer for a lot of members here, so my feeling is, if you order from them, be very vigilant about your order...

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
lhz: i agree! and i later found the bezel was too large to carry comfortably, and i never used the P61 (except for testing it out when i first got it). i think the G2Z is actually an excellent light, just that i can't justify spending that much on what is essentially a plastic light. i know its irrational, but i can't help it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i once went for a diving trip (qualifaction dive, which i failed) at pulau tioman. on one of the dives i was on the way up and when a casio watch i had in my pocket dropped out. the sense of loss i felt whilst watching it sink down to the bottom of the sea forever was very intense! i can't imagine if that was my C2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pi_is_blue: the deal is over if i'm not wrong...i ordered from them, but after two weeks they emailed me back telling me that they no longer accept credit card as a form of payment from international buyers, and only bank wire transfers and paypal is allowed. they cancelled the charge on my card, and now i'm waiting for a reply from them to see if i can still get the G2 + 20 batteries. my only complaint about them so far is their slow email responses but its understandable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lhz

Newly Enlightened
Actually I LOVE the P61's beam, but the 20 minute runtime means I have the P60 lamp installed instead. If I run into an emergency reguiring a light, I'd probably need it for longer than 20 minutes. But it sure is fun playing with the P61.

Looks like a G2's in my future then, I'll probably order a lanyard ring for it as well. Which dealer do you usually order from, or do you actually buy your stuff locally?

At least you lost a casio, not a Rolex! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did you finish your diving course later??

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree...the P61 has a much rounder and intense hotspot, but the 20 minutes runtime is unacceptable to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

so far i've had 4 surefires pass through my hands...3 were from sngarms, and one was bought from a SIDB member in the USA, but that was because i didn't have a card then. now that i do, any future purchases will probably be from meridian tactical because i've heard good things about chris and they do international shipping.

the G2 will leak through the tailcap, so you might want to find some way to seal it up first. i wouldn't take any surefire deeper than 15 metres. using silicon to seal the bezel and changing out the O-rings for oversized ones might do the trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i wonder how that casio is doing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif well i never really found the time and money to finish the diving course afterward, but i might in the near future /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lhz

Newly Enlightened
No way I'm taking ANY surefire down with me. I like my diving lights to have more than 60 minutes burntime. The el cheapo(compare to surefire) UK lights are better designed for diving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Assuming the site you dropped it bottoms out at 30 metres or less, it has probably been picked up by some other diver.
I've had friends find all sorts of stuff while diving..watches, jewellery etc.

I ordered an E1e w/KL1 from Meridian this Monday through their site, so far no confirmation email, tracking number etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I sent them an email today, if they haven't shipped my order I'm going to cancel it.

P.S. Does Sngarms carry the lanyard kits and spares carriers?? I forgot to include those in my order

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
The person behind Meridian is Chris. He's quick and hassle free person. If you wait for a day more I am sure you get his reply. I've dealed with him several times.

[ QUOTE ]
lhz said:

I ordered an E1e w/KL1 from Meridian this Monday through their site, so far no confirmation email, tracking number etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I sent them an email today, if they haven't shipped my order I'm going to cancel it.

[/ QUOTE ]