Is this going to do anything bad?

Whind Soull

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm a flashlight n00b, so I thought I'd just run this setup by you guys before I fry things:

Solarforce L2 1x18650 host
Solarforce +1x18650 extension
x2 AW IMR 18650 batteries (3.7v each)
LF IMR-9 lamp (7.4v)

--Is this a good setup for $80?
--There's nothing else I need that I'm forgetting, is there?
--What do you think my runtime will be?

Thanks,
Will

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
As per Lumens Factory sight ~ 35mins, but not at a steady level as you'll get dimming over that time. Looks like you have every thing you need though. I'm sure others will chime in here soon though. Good luck and have fun.:twothumbs

Dan

Whind Soull

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Is there an easy way to maintain a steady light level? You can add regulator chips or something like that, right?

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
from my experience, the only regulated lights I've seen are in LED's. I did see one Maglite ROP that had a regulaeted driver, but I can't even tell you who's building these. With ican's you just have to expect some drop in brightness over time, how much?, I think depends on each light. Just a side note.. LF bulbs rate their lamps as "at the LED" and not "out the front" so I'm told, so they end up being a little over rated compared to most other lights that rate their's as "out the front lumens". That being said though , I think they have a great beam shape for their lamps.

Dan

BSBG

Enlightened
Be careful if you are using the Solarforce clickie tail cap - in general a twisty tail cap is recommended and can handle the higher current. This whole subject turned pretty contentious is one thread so I will leave it at that :).

Whind Soull

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks guys.

What twisty should I get for <$25?

What about a charger? I was looking at the Pila one, but I really would prefer not to spend $50 on one if it's not necessary...

How do you think this light will compare in brightness to a P91 lamp (to give me a better idea of brightness, since you say there of lumen count differences)?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The A2 and a few others are regulated incans. It can be done! Willie hunt's LRV........

Any twisty will do. Check the marketplace for good deals.

There is a Pila charger group buy in the marketplace that will save you around 10 bucks.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The setup is perfectly sound and I doubt you will have problems with that reverse clicky. I ran an ultrafire host with a reverse clicky with a P91 (draws even more current) for a long time without problems.

I would say see how the clicky works out, if you destroy it, THEN spend the money and get a Z41.

Don't forget a decent charger. Pila IBC if you're willing!

Superdave

Enlightened
I killed a Surefire Z59 clickie using 2 18650's and a LF E0-9 in an extended 9P.. the internal springs got hot and it wouldn't shut off.. lol. I was able to repair the switch but it still kinda sucked. :sigh:

So yes, a twisty if you want it to be reliable.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I killed a Surefire Z59 clickie using 2 18650's and a LF E0-9 in an extended 9P.. the internal springs got hot and it wouldn't shut off.. lol. I was able to repair the switch but it still kinda sucked. :sigh:

So yes, a twisty if you want it to be reliable.

Z59s are known to be problematic even when used in normal applications.

My Z59: ~0.35 ohm
My SolarForce reverse: ~0.05ohm
My Z41: Too low to measure with my equipment.

-----

One of these days I need to try to dissemble my Z59 and see if there is any way to reduce that resistance issue, but until then, I'm trying to keep it primarily on LED configurations.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Ok, good.

You say the P91 draws even more current--is it brighter?

I don't think I would suggest running a P91 on a pair of IMR18650s, it's already very overdriven on regular LiCo 18650s, the LiMn chemistry cells are very likely to blow it IMO. As for which one is brighter... it would probably depend on what you powered each with for the comparison, but the more important point is that they probably have different beam characteristics, LF is notorious for producing throw oriented beams, while the P91 is known for being a wall of light flood type beam, so in this comparison, brighter wouldn't matter in the least as each will likely have it's own ideal applications. If we were talking IMR16340s, the P91 would be fine. Both bulbs are probably close enough in total output that there would be no practical difference.

Eric