Need some advice on InCan -> LED upgrades of flashlights

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I want to put an LED in my 4C MagLite. It's like 13 years old.

Both Krypton batteries broke finally…I think it was because I was using it as a hammer because even the end-cap one broke. Lol I guess I took those old commercials literally….so I won't be driving a truck over it for fun.

I just want to replace it with an LED one and put another one in the end-cap for spare I guess. I usually just carry it with me on occasional trips to look for sticks for marsh mellows and stuff like that, but I do like to hammer with it too! :) Can I do that with the LED?

I would like it bright but I don't want it dangerous in case little kids get a hold of it. I saw the Malkoff one says it can damage your eyes.

I also want to get some 3V LED's to replace my "drugstore flashlights" bulbs around the house. The bulbs are kind of old and I would rather have something brighter and more reliable to boot.

What are some of my options? Any recommendations?

Thanks! :twothumbs

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hi rasmasyean,

Welcome to CPF!

You might consider trying out the maglite brand "3W" LED drop-in module, it can be found in most stores that carry mags. It's a pretty reliable little bugger, decently bright, but won't be as crazy bright as a MalkOff, and since it is thermally regulated, it will back off to protect the LED as it warms up, which is important since the Mag switch assembly doesn't have anyplace for heat to go. The 4 cell platform is ideal for the 4 cell drop-in modules, as it regulates the output very nicely and gives TONS of runtime.

Eric

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
Cool. I also came across a TerraLux one. Is this good too? Some other posts said it was a bit brighter. But is it "damaging" bright?

Also, do I use the MagLite 2-Cell's for the cheap flashlights?

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:, rasmasyean!

If you want super bright, get one of Malkoff's offerings. I also recommend a nice Stanley claw hammer. ;)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
LEDs are much more impact resistance then incan bulbs.

As for the upgrades, what price, output, and runtime are you looking for?

:welcome:

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
LEDs are much more impact resistance then incan bulbs.

As for the upgrades, what price, output, and runtime are you looking for?

:welcome:

Thanks for all the welcomes. :)

I guess best bang for the buck. I would like it bright but not too much that it will damage ppl's eyes. :laughing:

Is this good for a 6 V Maglite? How do you install that?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html

Is this good for a 3 V regular flashlight? Also, it says 45 lumen and 1 Watt. But is that consistent throught it's range of 1.5-8V?
http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-86-41-1642-15-v-8-volt-1-watt-led-module.aspx

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You have any old non Mag 2D lights lying unused? POWERSTIK™ -- PS1 <-This thing is nice. Regated incans are not common!

For the Mag:
If you want to get decent performance for decent $$ Terraux modules are OK.
If you want the best period get the Malkoff. $$ but very worth it.
If you want a bit less output and good runtimes get the stock Mag LED bulb.

*Your Mag may not handle the Malkoff, depends on how old it is! What is the serial number?*

The first item you linked to is pretty decent but you can do better than the bottom one. IMO

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the warnings on a lot of products are there to cover the manufacturers @sses. Yes the Malkoff is bright, but it is not like a laser that will damage someones eyes with just a brief glance at it. I think someone would have to hold the light right up to the eye for an extended period before any damage occurred. The natural reaction to blink or look away would help protect the eye. there are a lot of things children can get their hands on that are more dangerous and more likely to be used in a dangerous way.

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
You have any old non Mag 2D lights lying unused? POWERSTIK™ -- PS1 <-This thing is nice. Regated incans are not common!

For the Mag:
If you want to get decent performance for decent $$ Terraux modules are OK.
If you want the best period get the Malkoff. $$ but very worth it.
If you want a bit less output and good runtimes get the stock Mag LED bulb.

*Your Mag may not handle the Malkoff, depends on how old it is! What is the serial number?*

The first item you linked to is pretty decent but you can do better than the bottom one. IMO

Thanks for the info! :)

I checked the Malkoff site and it says it has to start with a "C", but mine only has numbers.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It comes with 2 bulbs in the box. 1 is bright for 5 hours 1 is dimmer for 12. It's incan not LED but the battery pack gives it runtime like an LED while still giving you the familiar and pleasing color rendition of an incan.

Regulated means the combined voltage of 8AA cells is not hitting the bulb all at once. The battery stick meters out 3.6V to whichever of the 2 included bulbs you want to run. Most incans start getting dimmer from the second you turn it on but this battery stick will deliver the same brightness for the entire runtime till it blinks letting you know it will soon shut down. The bulbs are both Xenon filled so you get white light out of each but 1 will be brighter hence the shorter runtime. One of the few incans to be regulated like this is the Surefire A2.

I just wanted to throw this option out there for you, you may prefer LED I wouldn't blame you at all!

Last edited:

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
Just to make sure.

Will the TerraLux or Mag LED fit into my 13 year old 4C Maglite?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Terralux would be brighter though presuming it is one with a current gen LED. All MagLED drop-ins use the previous gen Luxeon IIIs. Swap in a current gen LED and you will get double the output with the same runtime.

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened
The Terralux would be brighter though presuming it is one with a current gen LED. All MagLED drop-ins use the previous gen Luxeon IIIs. Swap in a current gen LED and you will get double the output with the same runtime.

Is there a way to check? Or is there something I can ask before buying?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you buy from Batteryjunction it should be the current one. As long as it says Cree XR-E, Seoul P4 or TFFC K2 it is a current gen LED one. I think the current one uses a TFFC K2. There was one with the old K2 but batteyjunction doesn't sell that anymore and I think the Seoul P4 version was swapped with the TFFC K2.

Their coupon is "CPF2006" unless they changed it. I think it was 5% off.

rasmasyean

Newly Enlightened

Is this one better for the cheap 2D flashlights?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-1f.html

It says it can use 2-6 cells.
What actually happens? Will shine 50 lumens for longer with the 6 cells and just drop the voltage to discipate it as a heat? Isn't that like "wasting" the energy of the battery as an drawback of having a "universal bulb"?

Latest posts