Your advice? Trail running at night- second light!

todd92371

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Wanted to ask your advice about something.
I currently am starting to use a Petzl Myo Xp headlamp while trail running at night! I am also using a small Tikka led in my right hand also. I want to find something with alot more power to augment the Myo on the head. I have noticed that a light down lower helps with the depth perception and such! I am considering the Fenix TK11 or one of the tactical lights on Dealextreme that can run off of 18650 batts (simplicity). What do you guys think? Was also considering a dedicated bike light such as a cygolite NiteRover and just place the battery in a fanny pack and hold the light. I'm used to holding lights in the hand while running and prefer it anyway. What do you think?
The Fenix looks like it may have a too tight beam for what I want to do.
Thanks for your input!

todd:twothumbs

Pöbel

Enlightened
I would recommend something with a floodier beam like the Novatacs. I also don't know whether the Fenix TK lights aren't too big for carrying during longer runs.

elugelab

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix TK11 is definitely not too big to carry. Fits perfectly in my hand, and my hand isn't even that big. It might actually be too small to hold comfortably for a bigger hand.

pjhaas

Newly Enlightened
If you're going down the Fenix path, why not a LD10 or LD20? Much more pocketable and still powerful. And it uses the same batteries as your Petzl, which is very useful. How difficult is your terrain? Mountains? I do some trail running with the Petzl Myo XP belt and find it more than adequate, even runnung through a pitch dark forest. I wouldn't take a second light unless my life depends on it. I like to keep it as light a possible.. But think about the LD10/20 and the battery issue.

Please read my second posting: the Fenix TK20 might be the light for you.

Last edited:

Pöbel

Enlightened
it's not too big to carry for any normal task. But Trail running for longer periods? I'm not so sure.

pjhaas

Newly Enlightened
I just thought of something. The Fenix TK10/11 and LD series are metal. They will start to feel very cold in your hand at night. I would look at the Fenix TK20. This light has a rubber grip so it won't be so cold (or slippery when wet). It also has a more natural color of light, and still an output of 150 lumens. Great throw too. It seems the TK20 just fits the bill.

todd92371

Newly Enlightened
That is a great point. The myo xp is really nice. I just want something with some ooommmpphhhh to have lower in my hand to add depth and shadow to the obstacles. Really helps! :)

hopkins

Enlightened
walmart has some good deals on Cree LED flashlights that throw a good spot.
3aaa powered. Good for a couple hours. $20 or so.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
* generally skip anything with 3 AAAs (except for good quality makes and - at the same time - when You need small and light)

* that point with the rubber on the Tk20 is a very good one

* more ooomph for headlamp: Princeton tech Apex (runs on AAs also)

* "better" than a TK11: Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST, easier to grip, smaller, beam a bit more on the wider side
have modded mine with a Sandwich Shoppe 17 mm reflector, now it really is a small, medium/wide beam light (without Cree ring as a plus)

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Petzl Ultra the thing you need? :eek:

If not, I would go light (not heavy I mean...) and small. With rechargeables, your choice is limited, what about an Olight M20 Warrior? Not too heavy, powerfull, 3 different outputs, OP reflector with the possibility of installing an SMO. Unfortunately it's not regulated on the 18650.

Lighter is a Fenix PD30, but it doesn't take the 18650. Everything with AAs will be heavier and less powerfull, though the TK20 is a good light without any doubt, as a geocacher it is my favorite in the forest, but I don't run and it doesn't matter if I don't see an obstacle 5 meters ahead.

I don't know if you need quick modes change or if you choose one mode and run the whole track, but the Olight has a more complicated UI and it gets dark while changing modes and you always have to pass the (useless) SOS and strobe. With the Fenix UI, you just have two modes, but these can be changed with one hand if needed and there's no dark moment while changing. Best would be a TK10 I think, but again it doesn't take the 18650...

Greets,

Henk

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Fenix LD10 + 14500 li-ion

This way you get the output of the LD20 on high. You lose low modes, but you can loosen the head for a "medium" mode. And it's pretty compact.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Best set-up ever would be, IMHO, a SF G2 in nitrolon (light and comfortable at any temperature) with a Malkoff M60LF drop-in (a W version would be even better for color rendition). Adequate brightness, floody beam, long runtime, rechargeable ready, simple as can be.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run every night for around 12 kilometres and use a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M60 exclusively.

The reason I use this light is because of the huge spill beam this drop in creates. The spot beam is also very useful but its the bright spill that ensures you can see where your actually running.

Some of my run includes dirt roads in poor condition. I have tried other lights but only the M60 equipped 6P allows me to hold the light in a horizontal position providing maximum throw whilst providing a bright spill beam that extends up to your feet!

It really is like a car headlight on low beam! I use AW ICR123 rechargables and they always last a full run. It is a heavier than average little combo but unless you're a total weakling, you will have no problem carrying it on extending runs.:)

James...

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
The Lumapower IncinDio is the floodiest 1X123 light I have, has 3 light levels, and fantastic regulation.

gsnorm

Newly Enlightened
Todd, you did not mention if you preferred a tailswitch or sideswitch activated light.

With a tailswitch light you of course have to raise your hand toward your chin to aim the light which might feel a little awkward especially if you want to illuminate the path for a length of time. Or you could switch on the light while your hand is in the "running" position and then manipulate it to aim.

A sideswitch activated light works much better IMHO - grip the light with a fingertip resting on the switch and hit that switch when you want light. The best thing is that you really don't have to reposition you arm and hand from the normal running motion. That said, after using a Streamlight Stinger, Stinger LED and Pelican 7060 for night running, I now use an Elektrolumens shortened C Mag with P7 running an AW "C" cell. This thing does an incredible job of lighting up the road ahead with tons of flood and very good throw. Not really that heavy and a little grip enhancement (bike inner tube) and sweaty hands are no problem. :D