Decision: upgrade old E2 w/ new KX2 head or buy a new E2L???

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been thinking about buying an LED head to upgrade my 6 year old incandescent E2... and looking around it seems the new KX2 head would be a great upgrade.... but costly... at around $120 - $130 or so.

BUT, I keep coming back to the thought that for less money, around $110 or so, I can just buy a brand new two-stage E2L (which has the same KX2 head, right?) Then I'll have two E's. At present my E2 has the hottest Lumens Factory High Output incandescent bulb in it, driven by two 3.7v AW RCR123A rechargeables.

Would you upgrade an old E2 body with a new KX2 head or just buy a new E2L to have in addition? Seems like getting the new E2L is a no brainer, but wanted to run this by folks who have more experience than I do. If I get the new E2L, I will probably STILL want to upgrade my old E2 to LED, or should I keep it incandescent?

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I recall reading the (huge) thread about the SureFire price increases for 2008. While prices for complete lights were going up ~10-30%, posters had noted that the prices for individual parts had gone up like ~50% (just my recollection, I didn't have anything of particular importance to contribute to that debate). This would explain your upgrade sticker-shock. Speculation was that SF wanted folks to buy more lights and less parts, IIRC.

The new E2L's sound very nice from what I've read here on CPF. Has SF made any fundamental changes to the switch operation since your early model for obtaining two-stage operation? Maybe someone can post on this. There are a few different UI's on the various SF's and I'd hate to get a UI that I wasn't expecting. There is currently a UI-related thread running for the E1B and E2DL, does the E2L and E2DL have the same two-stage toggle UI?
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/220246
If so, the UI for the L1 seems better to me:
Momentary operation: Press for low, harder for high. Release for off.
Twistie: Twist for low, twist more for high. If twisted on for low, press momentary for high. Release momentary to go back to low. Perfect. For me at least. :)

Sounds like your incan E2 might be happiest as being a backup backup in a desk drawer or car glovebox instead of being upgraded with more $$?

Also, you already have some nice single-level SF's, but are still a little thin on two-stage SF's like the new E2L or the L1...:whistle::poke::nana:

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel... yep, I decided to check out the new dual output E1L and E2L. I have other lights I would choose for tactical use where BRIGHT is the first priority, but (again, thanks to you) I realized the need for a light which would be great for general use, starting with a very low output initially and capable of very long run times, for camping, map reading in the darkness, etc. It seems like the E1L and E2L would be great lights for this. We shall see. I know that they have a momentary and then click for on. Not sure how to change to bright mode... perhaps a second click. I will find out shortly. The L1 seems like it would be great, but it's a bit long for a single cell light... the smaller form factor of the E1L appeals to me. Who knows, I may trade out the E2L for an L1. We'll see.

As for the older E2 I have... I'll leave it as is with the Lumens Factory Extreme Output lamp for the time being.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
From a financial standpoint, buying the second light would seem to be the best choice the only other consideration is if after you have bought the light, will you still want to upgrade your old incan. Sounds crazy I know but we are not called flashaholics for nothing.

1.I love LEDS, but incandescent lights and high output ones at that are truly beautiful useful tools.
2.You will almost always find another use for another light, even if it is just as backup in your car, object d art, or as a future sale item to purchase other improvements.
3.You have already bought the 3.7 rechargeables and the HO incan bulb and I don't think that the two 3.7 batteries can be used in the new E2l although I am not certain of this fact.

Don't waste your money but asking a junkie if he wants another hit will pretty much give you a go ahead so proceed as you see fit from your own financial perspective.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I don't think that the two 3.7 batteries can be used in the new E2l although I am not certain of this fact.
I think I can recall someone on CPF saying, 'will definitely :poof:', but I can't recall where.
Two primaries, voltage sag under high drain: 3.0v -> 2.5v x 2 = 5.0v @ regulator.
Two LiIons, voltage sag under high drain 4.2v -> 3.7v x 2 = 7.4v @ regulator.
The learning curve for this experiment would be a little steep for me.;)
K

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kestrel.... yes, I agree on the learning curve... could be pricey! I guess I'll just have to learn to use only primaries in a few of my lights... I have really come to love using rechargeables... tends to steer a guy away from Surefire, though.