Simply put.... WOW!!!!

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes even after all the reading one does, and after everything youve learned, the lights still don't turn on. ;) Then all of a sudden one day :poof: the gears start turning and magic happens. This is what occured to me this evening. If interested, keep reading...

I purchased a Dereelight DBS 3SD - the one that uses 18650's with OP refector about a year ago. Had some issues with it not working. Alan was great to deal with, got the problem solved. Accidentally, Alan when shipping sent me the pill - not enough juice from the new 18650 I purchases to make it go - and not meant for 1 x 18650 either. So after talking to Alan, he ships out a 3SD (I purchase a SMO reflector at the same time) and I ship back the 3SM. In the process of my pill traveling overseas Alan changed shop, location, address. The 3SM comes back to me about 5 weeks later stating that the receiver no longer lives at that location. I contact Alan, he says to keep it. I am very surprised and pleased.

So tonight, I get a brilliant idea... let's remove the 3SD pill from the SMO reflector and screw in the pill from a Deal Extreme Cree R2 Drop-In 1-Mode LED Module (3.7V~18V) sku 11836. I put in 2 new out of the package Surefire batteries, grab my SF 6PD with the same pill, sku 11836 pill, but with one of Alans SMO reflectors over the OP reflctor that came with it. Batteries in the SF are 2 x tenergy RCR123's fresh off the charger. So outside in -22 celcius I head with a dumb grin already on my face, kinda like these --> :grin2: :huh:

I turn on the SF and it is impressive as always... love it to death (I've Lego'd it with a polished bezel head that you get off the bay, Z48 tailcap and leef grip). The SF throws like mad and lights up a neighbours garage about 7 houses down easily with city lights on.

Next I fire up my newly toyed with Dereelight and the first thing that I thought was HOLY MOTHER @#%$@*#'s is this thing BRIGHT!!! Before, the dereelight with the 3SD and OP reflector on high clearly beat out my SF. Now... lol I cannot even explain. The neightbours garage was lit up like day light. I am simply in awe of this beast.

I love this thing now. Thought the Dereelight was sick before, but now... can't wait to take it camping this coming summer and see what it can do where it is really dark out. From the looks of it, it will easily outshine a 1 million candlepower light.

Other info... in the basement afterwards, at a distance of approximately 25 feet, the hotspot on the SF was around 30 inches across. The dereelight was tight... really tight, a mere 13 or so inches only.

Thanks for reading. :D

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
im new to quality flashlights, and it always amazes me when i turn one of these new fandangled lights on, compared to the useless lights i grew up with,

200+ lumens regulated for about an hour in a tool that you can leave unattended for years and it still performs flawlessly is worth $120 of anyones money

imo:twothumbs:twothumbs

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!
I don't get outdoors as often as I'd like so camping is where I really have fun with my lights. I actually look forward to late night washroom trips. The Dereelight should be awesome in pitch dark. :thumbsup:

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
This thread wins the award for least descriptive title :D

LMAO! I cannot stop laughing at this comment. lol Dood, seriously... this is taking me like 3 minutes to comment here because of my laughing.

The purpose was to make readers wonder what it was and come read. lol Maybe I shoulda posted it as "Dereelight Pill & Batts swap makes for AMAZING change."

Mods, go ahead and change it if you like

Grog

Enlightened

That would be spelled dude if you really do talk like that.

The purpose was to make readers wonder what it was and come read. lol Maybe I shoulda posted it as "Dereelight Pill & Batts swap makes for AMAZING change."

I'll be honest, after the first paragraph still not having any useful info and also no pictures to show how much brighter it is I really gave up within three seconds.

Useful thread titles ARE useful because it can help when doing a search by titles only. If I wanted to search for different Dereelight models I would not find your thread.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any ideas on how many mA are hitting the emitter with that pill? :) I wonder how it would perform using 4xCR123's using a Dereelight DBS extension tube. :) Or 4xR123's!

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if thats the pill i think it is, ive legoed it up to 4 RCR123As......it LOOKS regulated...in that there doesnt seem to be any appreciable brightness change.

but its a bright module nevertheless...i had no idea it fitted in the DBS.....makes me want one..:ohgeez:

Crenshaw