Breakaway neck lanyards

danpass

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to make one using 550 paracord (because I have it).

(I too see the irony in using paracord in a breakaway system lol)

All the ones I've seen break away at the light. I want to make one that breaks away from around the neck though.

I've gone through Lighthounds selections and found THIS so far. Sufficiently strong that it won't just drop off the neck yet won't take you with it lol?

I did a search for 'breakaway' in the title but that didn't answer my question.

thanks.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
One easy way to fashion your own is to just use a generic cord lock to hold ends of the cord together behind your neck. A strong tug will pull the cord out of the cord lock and cause the cord to break away.

I have also used shrink tubing in a similar fashion but that is not so easy to put back together in the field once the lanyard breaks away. :p

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The break-away connectors on lighthound will work with very little force.They work nicely for an I.D. badge neck lanyard but I prefer a stronger connection for a light or knife.Small lights may work OK but a larger light will probably break-away too easily.
The cord lock ends will require considerable force to break-away,I have to use plyers to snap them shut.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
The cord lock ends will require considerable force to break-away,I have to use plyers to snap them shut.

To clarify, I meant cord locks, not cord lock ends. Here is an example of what I mean by using just a cord lock to improvise a break away lanyard:

P1040547.jpg

You can see in the photo that the ends of the cord I am using are held together simply by the cord lock i.e. there is no knot or cord lock end beyond it so that with a firm tug the cord lock will break loose from the ends of the cord.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Nice idea dan_pass.
And I like your implementation deranged_coder.

I just might try that. And in regards to fastening it back together in the field, I would melt the ends so it would be easier to put back into the cord lock.

Nice going guys!

:wave:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
Nice idea dan_pass.
And I like your implementation deranged_coder.

I just might try that. And in regards to fastening it back together in the field, I would melt the ends so it would be easier to put back into the cord lock.

Nice going guys!

:wave:
Melting the ends will negate the breakaway aspect of this set up IMHO. I use many custom cord locks on my backpacking rig and once the ends are melted, they will not slip through the cord lock but rather get stuck and hang up on whatever body part that the lanyard is around and cord locks are called "locks" for a good reason. Break away lanyards are "Break Away" for a reason, so you don't loose an appendage on machinery or other snags.

I don't know the force involved to strangle a human or to cut off blood supply to an arm or leg but if you want/need a device to be break away than I would be careful about manipulating the strength of the system. There is probably a Military Spec or Osha standard for breakaway lanyards and searching with those parameters might help you find what you are looking for.

Safety First:party:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give SKaccessories a try...there holders are designed for badges, etc, but should be easibly suited to a light...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I've done the paracord thing connected to shrinktube connected to ball-chain trick. Looks good and snaps apart with a good tug. Not field repairable if it gives at the shrinktube instead of the ball chain.

The cord lock is cool, quick and easy.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
If the break away is used can they be fixed or is it time for a new one?

Mine gets ripped off me at least once a week by some irate patient.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
If the break away is used can they be fixed or is it time for a new one?

Mine gets ripped off me at least once a week by some irate patient.

looks like u you may need a steel cord coated with PVC!:crazy:

then get some quality stainless steel rigging accessories like quick-releases.

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds pretty reasonable. what's the easiest way to thread it?
Thread the 550 cord? You remove the inside core heat the ends to stop fraying and slide the chain in. When I was active duty military guys did it all the time on their dog tag chains.