P7 without Li-Ion?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know about a P7 flashlight that doesn't need li-ion batteries? My grandmother has macular degeneration, and I just realized that a P7 or MC-E would do wonders for her without the heat (fire risk), expense, or battery consumption of a hotwire.

Then again, li-ion introduces its own fire risk.

Also, I have a bundle tied up in Eneloops and nice NiMH chargers. Has anyone catered to us yet?

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you can wait 1-2 months, the Fenix TK40 uses 8xAA.

Other than that, there are a number of Mag mods/dropins that will run on 4x or 8x or 9x or 12x AA's (depending on cell configuration).

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK40 would be ideal, actually. What's the cheapest mag mod anyone knows of? This is not a hard use torch, straight lumens/dollar. I'm also willing to use a Cree showerhead or something like that if it'd work.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can drive a P7 on a multiple of nimhs... 18650 li-ions are just easy due to being near-ideal for DD.
I run a P7 on 8 cheap AAs in a 2D mag albeit driven at a mere 7W.
You can make one as cheap as the sum of the parts if you don't mind making it yourself and there won't be anything you can't achieve that the tk40 can but then again, it's really tough to beat fenix on straight lumens/dollar.

I'd wait for the tk40 if I were you.

Marduke

Flashaholic
If you could do the work yourself, the cheapest would probably be to buy a P7 or MC-E, mount it to a heatsink and wire it into a 3D Mag with the appropriate resistor, and load it up with either D alks/NiMH or parallel AA adapters.

Alternatively, you could get the TLE-300 and run it on any number of interesting cell configs, as well as the Malkoff tripple.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
More or less expensive than a bank of equivalent-brightness Crees, SSCs, or K2-TFFCs?

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant You find ANY better present for her birthday/christmas/...? :rolleyes:
how about some flowers, or ...
(or, better, special housing lamps - brighter and maybe another colour if that makes for a better sight)

because when You step back and rethink that light You ask for, You cant argue that
  1. she does not use any of the ligths she has (or has been given from whomever), thats how elderly ppl are
  2. normal wallplug-power housing lights are there any time and suited better (and she does not use them either - if she's like my grandma was)
  3. she wont like to use any D-celled light, possibly a C-cell (You dont have old hands, have You?) - if not point 1 comes into action
  4. SHE wont fumble around with a hundreds of those tiny cells "for just a light" (and possibly cant - old hands)
  5. You do not decrease general threats by giving someone a high-drain multicell AA-light :rolleyes:
    a light running on protected Li-Ions will be WAY safer

You want this light: get it, :)
but not for elderly person