Problem with Novatac 120T

Shandstech

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Novatac 120T a week ago. Well, 2 of them actually. The first one I returned because it DID NOT WORK OUT OF THE BOX!!! The second one has a problem with the switch. Sometimes when pressing it, nothing happens. Sometimes it takes a few clicks to get it to work. The serial # is 30499. Oh and did I mention this made it a PITA to do the 250 clicky tricky? And I have low light flickering. What should I do? Take it back and buy another surefire? Buy a new tailcap?

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Novatac 120T a week ago. Well, 2 of them actually. The first one I returned because it DID NOT WORK OUT OF THE BOX!!! The second one has a problem with the switch. Sometimes when pressing it, nothing happens. Sometimes it takes a few clicks to get it to work. The serial # is 30499. Oh and did I mention this made it a PITA to do the 250 clicky tricky? And I have low light flickering. What should I do? Take it back and buy another surefire? Buy a new tailcap?

Buy a Ra Clicky. Henry has just introduced new models that are very competitively priced. New models will be shipping to dealers next week.

Like this one, for example: $99
http://www.ralights.com/?id=EdcExecutive

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Shandstech and welcome to CPF,
Like a fine sports car NovaTac lights sometimes need a little 'tune-up' when new to get optimum performance. Many of us have gone through the same type of thing, but trust me, it's well worth the effort for what you get in return...... a wonderfully rugged and flexible light with that gorgeous NovaTac beam.

Here's my tune-up procedure:
1. Take out the battery and clean all of the battery contact points with contact cleaner (70% rubbing alcohol will work if that's all you have). Use a clean, lint free cloth if possible. The two main spots are the spring in the tail-cap and the positive contact in the head. Be sure and don't let any cleaner drip down into the head, so hold it head up during the process. Also go ahead and clean both ends of your battery while you're at it.

2. The big spring in the battery tube that wraps around the battery is used to transmit control information from the tail switch to the head. It's important that it makes good contact too, so clean both ends of that Big spring and also the areas where it makes contact in both the head and tail.

3. Some of us have found that it also helps to lengthen that Big spring a bit to ensure good contact. The way we feel is best is NOT to just stretch it, but rather to to slightly unwind it..... just a tiny bit. If you simply stretch it, it might become too tight around the battery, and it's important that the battery floats freely so that it maintains good contact while being jostled around. You might not do this step unless all the other things you do don't seem to help.

4. Look down in the tail-cap. You will see a slender silver disc around the outside that has 4 small notches in it. That is the tail-cap retaining ring. Using a pair tweezers or small needle nose pliers, or even a bent paper clip make sure that ring is tight by twisting it counter clockwise using 2 of the opposing notches. Now, look in the head and you will see the same retaining ring. Check it for tightness too.

5. Clean the threads in the head and tail area and also the battery tube. Apply a light amount of lube. Use a lint free cloth if possible. 70% rubbing alcohol works well for this too.

6. Okie dokie, were almost done. Reassemble your light making sure that everything is nice and tight.

Hopefully that will fix many, if not all, of your problems. I know it seems like a lot of stuff to do for an expensive new light, but this light really is like a fine sports car and is worth the small initial effort to get it up to peak performance. I had to do this same thing when I first got my light and it's given me flawless performance as my EDC for the last year and a half. Good luck and let us know if any of this helps.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of clip does that Ra light use?

Photos of the Ra Clicky clip can be seen in the thread which I have linked below. I find the official clip to be excellent, but it was not well received here on CPF as many consider it to be "ugly". Those that do not like the official clip have been using ARC4 clips, which also work and apperantly are not "ugly".

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217201

EDIT: I should also note that the official clip now comes in black. Many were not crazy about the chrome finish, myself included.

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to admit, that is pretty ugly.

Ugly or not, it works really well. You won't lose your light with that sucker.

The ARC4 clip is the currently availible alternative. I'm sure some modders will have other solutions soon enough.

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
Buy a Ra Clicky. Henry has just introduced new models that are very competitively priced. New models will be shipping to dealers next week.

Like this one, for example: $99
http://www.ralights.com/?id=EdcExecutive
My NovaTac 85T had a poor switch. It was replaced under warranty and works fine now. I didn't know about Henry's new lights. Just what I didn't need to see. Wallet gets thinner, pocket fills up.

Shandstech

Newly Enlightened
Update: I tried to return my Novatac, but the store would only give me store credit. I decided to make the salesman open every Novatac package until we found one with a 2xxxx serial number. I went ahead exchanged my second one with 3xxxx for it. I've checked all functions on the new light and have no problems. I just don't know if I even want to mess with Novatac products any more.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: I tried to return my Novatac, but the store would only give me store credit. I decided to make the salesman open every Novatac package until we found one with a 2xxxx serial number. I went ahead exchanged my second one with 3xxxx for it. I've checked all functions on the new light and have no problems. I just don't know if I even want to mess with Novatac products any more.

The 20k lights are definitely better. Good work.

Shandstech

Newly Enlightened
I think I might just sell the new 20k Novatac to help finance one of those new Ra lights.

litework

Newly Enlightened

I've had a few flashlights that were defective right out of the box. Surefire is not immune from putting out a few flashlights with defective clickies...neither is Fenix. It happens from time to time. If you've got a good Novatac, you've got a great flashlight.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I might just sell the new 20k Novatac to help finance one of those new Ra lights.

If you've got a good Novatac, you've got a great flashlight.

Agreed. Before the advent of the Ra-Twisty and later Ra-Clicky, NT EDC was the best of what was availible in single cell production EDC lights (my opinion).

So, the NT will serve you well, but there is a better option availible now and for a competitive price.