View Poll Results: My LD01 does

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • not hum at all.

28 51.85%
  • hum audibly.

26 48.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix LD01 - Does yours hum, too?!?

Flashaholic

Default Fenix LD01 - Does yours hum, too?!?

I really like my Fenix LD01, but unfortunately it hums audibly on the low and medium setting (even though I have to hold the flashlight rather close to my ears to hear it).
    Once I put the light on a glass desk and that amplified the sound so much that I actually could here it a few meters away...

Neither the L0D nor the LiteFlux LF2 or LF2X show this kind of behaviour.

I'd like to know if there are LD01s out there that do not hum or if this is a common flaw.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Ice; 01-23-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Default Re: Fenix LD01 - Does yours hum, too?!?

Many lights do that. It's usually the inductor. Don't worry about it.

Yeah I can certainly hear it.

Flashaholic

@Tigerhawk:
    Thanks for the answer!
    I heared that some lights do that, it's just that I really dislike it! It's rather annoying in my opinion.
    I'd like to buy one or two more LD01s (as backup light and as a present), but only if this humming was not common...

Mine hums on both medium and low with medium being a higher frequency (pitch) than low. On the bright side I do find it a relaxing and soothing hum though .

I also find glass desk amplifies the hum considerably.

My LD01 hums a little, so does my L0D Q4, but I cant hear it unless I put it right against my ear, and only a few people use a flashlight that way

Flashaholic

My LD01 hums a little, so does my L0D Q4, but I cant hear it unless I put it right against my ear, and only a few people use a flashlight that way
    Well, when I walk in the street I usually put two AAA lights in both my ears so that I don't get overrun by some car...

Ok, jokes aside:
    Some people stick AAA lights to their baseball cap and use them as a headlight for example.

And besides: The humming somehow "unpurifies" the perfectness of the light.
    If someone understands that thought it would be here in this forum...

What did you say? I couldn't hear you over the humming.

I notice mine most when it is tailstanding or I hold it in my mouth. It reminds me of my Sonicare toothbrush.

One time it was so loud that I could hear it across the room, hasn't happened again since though. It may just be a coincidence, but it is much louder with an eneloop than with a Costco Kirkland AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by dilbert View Post
    One time it was so loud that I could hear it across the room, hasn't happened again since though. It may just be a coincidence, but it is much louder with an eneloop than with a Costco Kirkland AAA.
    Mine seems just the same on eneloops or alkalines just going by my ears.
    Good one about the toothbrush.

they should make the hum a lot louder to scare away burglers thinking you have a phaser
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I've got two LD01ss. One hums (or whines) on low and medium, the other one doesn't.

i don't know if it's related, but the one I got with the first batch is silent, the one I got yesterday makes noise (I had to send one of the first batch back because of flickering issues)...

I've also an L2D Q5 which whines, but that's one's a lot louder, I can hear it while holding my hand down. Perhaps the steel holds some of the noise back?
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Tried my L0D again. Could only hear it by sticking it in my ear. Glad nobody saw me do it. I think it was humming "Dixie".

Geoff

I can only hear it by sticking it by my ear. It's a non issue. These aren't old fashion incans, they have circuitry in them, so it's not uncommon to have a little whine sound when PWM is being used.
    Facebook: Wade Fulp - Follow me on Twitter! @flashlightguy and my main feed @WadeFulp Google+ PROFILE

I can hear a hum if I stick it in my ear. It does become more audible when I tail stand it on a counter. I guess some sympathetic vibrations are causing it but it is still not that noticeable.
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Neither of mine hum at all.

My L0D Q4, the LD01's predecessor, also hums but I don't like the tune

I can only hear mine if I put it in my ear. This is for NiMh and 10440.

My Jetbeam MKII-X hums. Thought it was a problem with the light but apparently not.

LD01 should be here next week. The L0D, to my knowledge, does not hum, but I've not held it up to my ear or put it on a glass table/desk.

mine started humming after i replaced the emitter.
    no big deal as ive had an l2d that's hummed for a good part of a year
    with no ill effects.

Flashaholic

Thanks for your answers and votes!

I have to say that I was able to test four LD01s in the last few days (including one special edition) and that each and every one of those did hum quite noticeably and about equally loud.
    And while three of those were from one shop, the fourth one was from a completely different one.
    It is strange that so many people seem not to hear anything from their light, but to me it seems all LD01s do hum...

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rose View Post
    My L0D Q4, the LD01's predecessor, also hums but I don't like the tune
    Is the L0D's hum a lower pitch than the LD01 as the PWM is slower?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Thanks for your answers and votes!

I have to say that I was able to test four LD01s in the last few days (including one special edition) and that each and every one of those did hum quite noticeably and about equally loud.
    And while three of those were from one shop, the fourth one was from a completely different one.
    It is strange that so many people seem not to hear anything from their light, but to me it seems all LD01s do hum...
    I imagine that some of it may be down to our individual hearing due to age etc.

However Henk_Lu stated above that one of his hums and the other does not.

Every light I own whos brightness modes are PWM controlled make some noise. Some more than others, as some are more effective as "speakers" than the rest. The LD01 conducts this sound particularly well. You'll note many users report hearing a similar "whine" from lights like the Nitecore D10, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Homer View Post
    Every light I own whos brightness modes are PWM controlled make some noise. Some more than others, as some are more effective as "speakers" than the rest. The LD01 conducts this sound particularly well. You'll note many users report hearing a similar "whine" from lights like the Nitecore D10, etc. etc.
    True but in my case I can only hear the "hum" with the LD01 and I have several lights that use PWM. My hearing is not too bad unless I'm told to do housework or something.

I've had the LD01 a couple days now and so far no hum.

Edit - I stand corrected: after placing it close to my ear, it hums on low and medium modes, but not on high.
    Last edited by coppertrail; 01-30-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Flashaholic

However Henk_Lu stated above that one of his hums and the other does not.
    Well, that is a good point...

after placing it close to my ear, it hums on low and medium modes, but not on high.
    That's normal because on high the light is not pulsed but shines continuously (no PulseWidthModulation).

There might be a song in there somewhere! Makes me wonder if it might be a bluegrass tune! (I can name that tune in 3 notes!) The reason they're humming could be because they don't know the words! (HaHa)

Seriously, I own 3 L2D Q5's, 2 L2d CE's, 3 E01's, and a P2D Q5. I run everything from Alky's to NiMH Hybrids to Lithium Energizers in all of mine, and I've never heard any of mine hum.
    You only need three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape, and a flashlight. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape & if you can't fix it with a hammer, you WILL need the flashlight!

Flashaholic

I have had three (mode switching issues). Every single one whined. The first time I heard it was when I just got my first LD01, was really happy with it (first few min), then I needed some hands-free operation, so I tail stood it on a glass shelf. That is when I heard the whine, and turns out it does whine on low and med. Pretty loud, if only it was a higher frequency so I wouldn't have to hear it.

I would like to add, PWM really sucks, is there a reason they chose such a low frequency? I read it was supposed to be 1600hz.
    And diff_lock said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Flashaholic*

I have 2, one makes a tiny hum but I have to practically have it in my ear to hear it. I love them both, one on my keychain, one going on the wife's.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

Absolutely no sound at all. It is SS though, which might interfere.

Most of my flashlights make some level of noise - the only ones loud enough to be noticeable from a few feet away are my two Litefluxes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast