My LD01 does

• not hum at all.

Votes: 28 51.9%
  • hum audibly.

Votes: 26 48.1%

• Total voters

Ice

Enlightened
I really like my Fenix LD01, but unfortunately it hums audibly on the low and medium setting (even though I have to hold the flashlight rather close to my ears to hear it).
Once I put the light on a glass desk and that amplified the sound so much that I actually could here it a few meters away...

Neither the L0D nor the LiteFlux LF2 or LF2X show this kind of behaviour.

I'd like to know if there are LD01s out there that do not hum or if this is a common flaw.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Ice

Enlightened
@Tigerhawk:
Thanks for the answer!
I heared that some lights do that, it's just that I really dislike it! It's rather annoying in my opinion.
I'd like to buy one or two more LD01s (as backup light and as a present), but only if this humming was not common...

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine hums on both medium and low with medium being a higher frequency (pitch) than low. On the bright side I do find it a relaxing and soothing hum though :whistle:.

I also find glass desk amplifies the hum considerably.

kts

Enlightened
My LD01 hums a little, so does my L0D Q4, but I cant hear it unless I put it right against my ear, and only a few people use a flashlight that way :crackup:

Ice

Enlightened
My LD01 hums a little, so does my L0D Q4, but I cant hear it unless I put it right against my ear, and only a few people use a flashlight that way
Well, when I walk in the street I usually put two AAA lights in both my ears so that I don't get overrun by some car...

Ok, jokes aside:
Some people stick AAA lights to their baseball cap and use them as a headlight for example.

And besides: The humming somehow "unpurifies" the perfectness of the light. :sick:
If someone understands that thought it would be here in this forum... :crazy:

dilbert

Enlightened
What did you say? I couldn't hear you over the humming.

I notice mine most when it is tailstanding or I hold it in my mouth. It reminds me of my Sonicare toothbrush.

One time it was so loud that I could hear it across the room, hasn't happened again since though. It may just be a coincidence, but it is much louder with an eneloop than with a Costco Kirkland AAA.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast

One time it was so loud that I could hear it across the room, hasn't happened again since though. It may just be a coincidence, but it is much louder with an eneloop than with a Costco Kirkland AAA.
Mine seems just the same on eneloops or alkalines just going by my ears.
Good one about the toothbrush.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two LD01ss. One hums (or whines) on low and medium, the other one doesn't.

i don't know if it's related, but the one I got with the first batch is silent, the one I got yesterday makes noise (I had to send one of the first batch back because of flickering issues)...

I've also an L2D Q5 which whines, but that's one's a lot louder, I can hear it while holding my hand down. Perhaps the steel holds some of the noise back?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Tried my L0D again. Could only hear it by sticking it in my ear. Glad nobody saw me do it. I think it was humming "Dixie".

Geoff

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only hear it by sticking it by my ear. It's a non issue. These aren't old fashion incans, they have circuitry in them, so it's not uncommon to have a little whine sound when PWM is being used.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can hear a hum if I stick it in my ear. It does become more audible when I tail stand it on a counter. I guess some sympathetic vibrations are causing it but it is still not that noticeable.

coppertrail

Enlightened
My Jetbeam MKII-X hums. Thought it was a problem with the light but apparently not.

LD01 should be here next week. The L0D, to my knowledge, does not hum, but I've not held it up to my ear or put it on a glass table/desk.

MWClint

Enlightened
mine started humming after i replaced the emitter.
no big deal as ive had an l2d that's hummed for a good part of a year
with no ill effects.

Ice

Enlightened
Thanks for your answers and votes!

I have to say that I was able to test four LD01s in the last few days (including one special edition) and that each and every one of those did hum quite noticeably and about equally loud.
And while three of those were from one shop, the fourth one was from a completely different one.
It is strange that so many people seem not to hear anything from their light, but to me it seems all LD01s do hum... :sick: