Next-function mode? Me no like!

magician13134

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm very new to not only this site, but to flashlights in general... I just bought an UltraFire WF-502b and after a little battery trouble (protected 18650 have no little sticking-out-part grrrr!) which I was able to work around (with a dead button-cell battery completing the circuit in there) I have finally gotten to use it a bit. I REALLY like it, nice and bright, feels good (scratches a bit easily, though) BUT there's one thing I ABSOLUTELY hate. It's the whole [next-function] (edited to be what I meant) thing! Before this, the only light I've ever owned was a Fenix PD30, so I've never seen this before. I don't get it! Why would ANYONE EVER want this? If I'm in a dark situation and have to turn my flashlight off for a minute, I don't want it to be a blinding strobe the next time I turn it on! That's rediculous! Is there anyway to bypass this? Thanks!

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Memory? Me no like!

You put a dead button cell in there to make contact? You know about the possible risks?

magician13134

Newly Enlightened

You put a dead button cell in there to make contact? You know about the possible risks?
No...? I guess that was a dumb thing to do? What could happen? (This may sound dumb, but...) At this point isn't it just a piece of metal? There's no charge in it...

And don't encourage me to buy new lights! I'm plenty addicted now as it is! (Is the PD60 similar to the PD30? I have that one... Is it just the 18650 version?)

kramer5150

Flashaholic

eeeasy.... just take a deep breath, just a little trouble shooting is all. hobbies are supposed to relieve stress.

Its probably a bad idea to use a dead cell like that. That module should have a small spring at the "+" terminal. If the spring is too short you could coil up a small segment of solid wire and solder it onto the spring to extend its length a little, in place of the dead cell.

Your comments don't make sense. You don't like mode memory, yet you complain of being blinded by a strobe when you turn the light off and back on again. What you are describing is commonly called "next mode" operation, where every time you turn it off it advances to the next mode upon power-up. The scenario you describe does NOT fit that of a light with mode memory. Mode memory will remember the last mode used and power up in that EPROM stored mode.

FWIW, we are discussing SKU:16516

A general assumption I make when searching through DX, if it does not explicitly state it has mode memory then I assume its next mode operation. Some lights always start in high or low. Read the user reviews and comments.... post questions if you need to. The DX forum is pretty good and there are some good technical discussions there too.

And part of being a noob is understanding your preferences likes and dislikes. Apparently youre like the majority of CPF and don't like "next mode" UI.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic

No...? I guess that was a dumb thing to do? What could happen? (This may sound dumb, but...) At this point isn't it just a piece of metal? There's no charge in it...

And don't encourage me to buy new lights! I'm plenty addicted now as it is! (Is the PD60 similar to the PD30? I have that one... Is it just the 18650 version?)

Not to take thsi thread too far off-topic, but: :caution:

A dead cell being used to conduct current can be reverse charged and do nasty things. I have no idea how nasty a button cell can get, but at least it can leak. "Real" cells can explode under such circumstances. In addition to that I suppose it burns up quite some energy this way.

Second, an unsecured spacer (your button cell) can short the (+) terminal of your battery to the negative flashlight body, causing a short on the battery. Depending on battery type (protected? Li-Ion?) this can cause catastrophic failure.

You don't want that. Please read some threads about those batteries and about spacers before doing something you might regret later.

bernie

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 to Bernie

Using a dead cell as a spacer? Why not use gunpowder, or gasoline? :) I worked at a camera store and we had all kinds of batteries laying around. We had a box that we kept spare batteries in. One day there was a bang, a button cell had probably shorted out against another battery and exploded!

Putting a dead cell in your light could result in an explosion, leaking, fire, etc. It may or may not result in you being injured, but it could ruin the light.

Most of use use small magnets for this purpose.

magician13134

Newly Enlightened

Ok... Sorry, I'm REALLY new to this!
Ok so. Memory is fine then. It's the next function I don't like, sorry to get my terminology wrong :sigh:

About the battery... I still can't imagine that happening, I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll take your word for it and take it out, but... Yeah, you're they experts, not me!

And everyone has said there should be a spring, but there's not. On either of the lights. There's BARELY any metal.

I've heard nightmares about DX returns... so... I think I'll probably just sell this light and be happy with what I've got (yeah right, we'll see how long that lasts!)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Some pictures might help. That light uses a P60 style module,which has a spring for the center contact. The tailcap should also have a spring in the center.

And yes, reverse charging a small lithium cell is a BAD idea.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Maybe try using a couple pennies and put some tape around the edges so it won't short out on the body, like Bernie said.

Geoff

Sector7

Enlightened
Perhaps the OP is describing memory mode but he is depressing the on switch sooner then the required pause time for memory mode to engage so it does the next mode switch.