Got M4 body on the way..... Lets' talk LED options...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a sweet M4 body from someone in the market place. I have a C2-HA on the way which I probably won't keep so I'll use the tailcap from that and part out the rest. So now I need a head and LED option for it. I would love to stick an M3TL head on there but I'm not going to spend what that thing cost! LOL. I've thought about getting an M3 head and doing the ol' D36 mod. However, per info in the "integrated sphere" thread, the Dx6 modules don't really put out anywere near their claimed output. (170 lumens after warm up for the D26) I'm looking to create a retina-scorcher, and I'm a throw junkie. (C'mon Gene, make a Malkoff for the M3 head! LOL!) So I'd like to hear some great ideas for an LEDs' for this "little" project of mine. I'm definetly looking into using 2x17670s' with it so any suggestions there would be appreciated as well. Fire away!!!

roadie

Enlightened
OMG ! i was going to post the same thing also for my M4 body laying in the cupboard.

damned! i also wan to know what LED options can i have on it ...

-_- Great minds think alike? :)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you probably don't wanna hear this, btu pretty much no matter what you do, your gonna spend some loot.

Just the M3 head alone will set you back $40 for used and $55 for new.

Then you have the LED mod you want to do...The D36 is probably the cheapest way.

If you can't mod yourself, it will cost some money.

I'll keep trying to think of ideas for a more budget build, but it seems Donn has found the cheapest way possible with the D36 mod.

EDIT....Good idea! Swap the emitter and driver!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose I could get LightFactory to send one of their "select" tints, but still change the driver. Maybe run it at 1.2a?

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a sweet M4 body from someone in the market place. I have a C2-HA on the way which I probably won't keep so I'll use the tailcap from that and part out the rest. So now I need a head and LED option for it. I would love to stick an M3TL head on there but I'm not going to spend what that thing cost! LOL. I've thought about getting an M3 head and doing the ol' D36 mod. However, per info in the "integrated sphere" thread, the Dx6 modules don't really put out anywere near their claimed output. (170 lumens after warm up for the D26) I'm looking to create a retina-scorcher, and I'm a throw junkie. (C'mon Gene, make a Malkoff for the M3 head! LOL!) So I'd like to hear some great ideas for an LEDs' for this "little" project of mine. I'm definetly looking into using 2x17670s' with it so any suggestions there would be appreciated as well. Fire away!!!
Get the SureFire Turbohead and run the new Lumens Factory IMR lamp assemblies, pretty insane stuff!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Get the SureFire Turbohead and run the new Lumens Factory IMR lamp assemblies, pretty insane stuff!
I'm a throw addict as well, I've got a thread running on Turbohead options, including high-output lamp assemblies and a bit on LED towers, for the C-type SF bodies (not the M-type bodies) but you may find some helpful info in there. There are a few turbohead vs standard beamshots in there as well. Hope this helps.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2787979#post2787979

roadie

Enlightened
yup, was thinking of that but ..... what if it doesnt like 12V like the kl2 and kl6 .... :(

[btw, i am in negatition of getting a kl2, maybe jus suck it by putting a dummy cr123 in between ...]

yes, i can throw in 2 x 17670 ....

there's one more but ... when is it going to arrive at all ? :shrug:

dun like waiting :( :sick:

and maybe maybe shall get a Tx-3 from opticsplanet ... but its only Q5 ... sigh

Just save up for the M3tL heads from SF.
They are the first 4-die heavyweights in the throw category with their huge TIR optic...

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
promoting yr thread?> :crackup::crackup::crackup:
but we are talking LED options ......... :grin2:

1. I'm just trying to help
2. 7 posts in that thread deal exclusively with LED options
3. A half-dozen or so posts in that thread mention LED options
4. Did you even notice the post that I was quoting and replying to?

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a throw addict as well, I've got a thread running on Turbohead options, including high-output lamp assemblies and a bit on LED towers, for the C-type SF bodies (not the M-type bodies) but you may find some helpful info in there. There are a few turbohead vs standard beamshots in there as well. Hope this helps.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2787979#post2787979
Excellent thread!

Thanks for sharing.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone taken a D36 apart and know how difficult it would be to swap drivers? Sounds like it would be a good mod. Also, what driver board would you recommend to get the settings I would like? The settings I want are Start out Hi,then release and press within 1.5 seconds to go to Med then again to Low. I would also have it reset to high first if off more than 2 seconds.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Just save up for the M3tL heads from SF.
They are the first 4-die heavyweights in the throw category with their huge TIR optic...

I've asked this question on another thread but didn't get any comments.

If the TIR optic is suuposed to reflect most of the light and focus it....what's the point of the big turbo head then? I am talking about the coming 2009 SF M3TL of course.

As for the topic of this thread, I have a M4 as well and wanted to go with the LED mod...as I am not that impressed with the incan MN60 bulb. For some reason, I expected more from a 225 lumens lamp. This is Surefire lumens too and I think my Jebeam Jet-I Pro IBS is brighter and throws almost the same. Maybe I just haven't experiment outdoors enough times yet...who knows...

Last edited:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've asked this question on another thread but didn't get any comments.

If the TIR optic is suuposed to reflect most of the light and focus it....what's the point of the big turbo head then? I am talking about the coming 2009 SF M3TL of course.

Yes, I've seen your question but I'm honestly unsure of what you mean by your question nor do I have a definite answer for what I feel it is you might be inquiring about.

Are you referring to the size of the TIR optic or the head?
The TIR is obviously very different from anything we've seen so far since it was designed for a 4-die led like the P7/MC-E and supposedly measures 2" wide since the size limitation is the same for TIR and reflectors when it comes to a led with multiple dies and a much larger emitting area.
The head would therefore be large in order to fit such an optic in it.

It doesn't sound unreasonable for either of them to be much larger than the TIR optics and heads designed for single die leds.

Then again, I know close to nothing about it; all my assumptions are purely based on what I've seen so far on the subject of TIR optics and specs of the M3TL.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Yes, I've seen your question but I'm honestly unsure of what you mean by your question nor do I have a definite answer for what I feel it is you might be inquiring about.

Are you referring to the size of the TIR optic or the head?
The TIR is obviously very different from anything we've seen so far since it was designed for a 4-die led like the P7/MC-E and supposedly measures 2" wide since the size limitation is the same for TIR and reflectors when it comes to a led with multiple dies and a much larger emitting area.
The head would therefore be large in order to fit such an optic in it.

It doesn't sound unreasonable for either of them to be much larger than the TIR optics and heads designed for single die leds.

Then again, I know close to nothing about it; all my assumptions are purely based on what I've seen so far on the subject of TIR optics and specs of the M3TL.

Yeah, I think I chose the wrong terms to use in my question.

What I mean is, based on the turbohead that the M3LT is using, the reflector used is large because they want to better focus the beam and create further throw....just like a M6 or M4 now. Well, it make sense that they need a larger head to fit the larger TIR optic but why do they need to use the Turbohead configuration with the large reflector if the purpose of the TIR optic is to focus all/most of the light in itself? That means the reflector is not really used then?

Again, I can get this completely wrong....

Latest posts