Can you beef up a Dereelight DBS R2?

purezero

Newly Enlightened
I just got a DBS last week (my first "real" light). And while the build quaility and all that is extremely nice, it just isnt quite bright enough. Is it possible to overdrive the led and get some more out of it? Or would I be better off just building a new light?

And Im not real worried about runtime. I use the light all day long, but only 10-30 seconds at a time. Probley less than a hr total.

I am running a 18650. I thought about upgrading to the MCE, but Im kinda doubting it will do the job either as Manufactures want to keep there runtime up so they keep the current down.

Greg G

Enlightened
The DBS drives an R2 at 1.2 amps already, so..... not much room to improve there.

Are you looking for more spill or more hotspot? The MC-E will put out more lumens, most of it in spill.

JasonH

Enlightened
Im guessing you want more spill? in that case DBS with a MCE is a better choice then the R2, though neither are extremely floody. If you want more throw, then the only way is an aspheric or incan/hid.

Sector7

Enlightened
I've spoken to FlashCrazy about the 2.4 Amp version of the MC-E and he has discovered the head gets extremely hot fast and not that much higher output without damage to the led. (Note: cunrrent draw is high so safe only with 2X18650, do not use CR123 primaries) Its not so much an issue of runtimes but led life although if you managed to keep the head cool enough it would cut down runtimes with no obvious significant lumen benefit. With that being said, I would speculate that would probably hold true with the R2 version as well.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
There can be slight performance gains with customized pills, as StefanFS has shown, but nothing that will satisfy you if the stock flashlight doesn't. If you want more throw you will have to go aspherical. If you want more flood, look for something with a MC-E or P7.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the DBS doesn't satisfy you I can't think of anything else that has not already been mentioned maybe look at the DEFT, but it sounds to me like you need a barn burner :devil:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, if the DBS isn't doing it for you, time to look into high powered incans, HID, etc. :)

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
But still, like he originally suggested, can't the LED be driven with higher current and achieve more output........even though it will decrease the life?

Maybe change the driver so it delivers higher amperage to the LED.:shrug:

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
But still, like he originally suggested, can't the LED be driven with higher current and achieve more output........even though it will decrease the life?

Only if you find some insane way of keeping the led cool (think overclocked computer cooling) otherwise you will be DECREASING brightness due to the excess heat.

Greg G

Enlightened

Yeah....but there isn't much to be gained there. If he isn't happy now he won't be happy then.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah....but there isn't much to be gained there. If he isn't happy now he won't be happy then.
I agree,but what he has to understand jumping up to the realms of polarion,XeRay surefire beast,MAXABEAM comes the price tag he may reconsider and think the DBS is Ok after checking that out :whistle: