Are Flashaholics Prone To Be Night People?

GreyShark

Enlightened
I was just wondering about this. Many people could care less what they use for a flashlight. I'm not so interested in the technical aspects of the hobby but I am interested in the performance. I also often go to bed around the time the sun's coming up. It occurs to me there's a clear relationship, I live most of my life in the dark so it's very useful to be able to make light when you need it. It's a good excuse to justify the absurd amount of money spent on the hobby anyway.

Torch

Newly Enlightened
Nope, not me. In fact I've got to go now, it's getting late.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my life I've been a night person. I guess I still am. I usually go to bed around 1-2am. However, now that I have kids I get up at 5:20am or so and drive the wife and kids to the daycare. My wife is currently working there too. Then I come home and sometimes go back to bed for a bit. :) It's kinda cool though that I get to get up and drive over in the dark, so I can use my flashlights when needed. It's also nice to see the sunrise each morning on the way home, after dropping them off.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've always been a night owl, too. Don't usually hit the sack til sometime after 1 am. Definitely gives ample opportunities for light use.

Geoff

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, for the most part, I'm a night owl. I always liked night time drives, astronomy, drive-in theaters, and of course the perfect accessory for all my night time adventures, a flashlight (or 6)!

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I love thought provoking posts that delve into the psyche of the Flashaholic. I'll have to give this one more thought and observation but the night owl label certainly applies here as well.:ohgeez:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights are just tools that enable you to...use your other tools in the dark.

DISCLAIMER: Alright. I admit it. Mrs Umbra and I are both night people. Busted. But that does not affect my primary answer. If you have tools and you do things with them sometimes it will be in the dark whether you are a plumber or a carpenter. Flashlights are just tools that enable your other tools to be useful in the dark...

DucS2R

Enlightened
Yes, though having had kids, like WadeF posted, put a crimp on my diurnal rhythms. Now that the kids are grown I return to my nocturnal pattern. I like to go to bed late and get up late (yes, I do have a job that limits my time scheme). I am also an amatuer astronomer which entails spending many late hours awake (with a red beam flashlight).

Yeah, if I could control my life I would stay up till 3 or 4 and get up at 10. Ten years to retirement. It is 12:00 AM now and I am just getting going. Took the dog out with my Lunasol 20, which I love because of its low beam. We nighthawks have to preserve our night vision!

Great thread!

T.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am definitely nocturnal. As a father I have had to change my ways, but its not natural to me.

Sometimes I do my best thinking after 5-6PM. for whatever reason.

elumen8

Enlightened
I always felt night-time was the right-time. I usually wind up my day on the otherside of midnight...and the last thing I see before I sleep is a beam sweep of my Malkoff-G2 around the bedroom for any lurking boogeymen. :eek:

-JB

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Oh yeah! Night guy all the way. I go to bed 4AM and wake up at noon.

I work evening and night shift just so I don't have to get up early. :twothumbs

Now that I am not in the Army I sleep in every day! :cool:

cfromc

Enlightened
When on vacation I'm sometimes up until 3am or later and also sleep in. When I'm not on vacation I'm up until 11 or later. That's are very good question from the OP, I never even thought of it but it seems that we are overwhelmingly night owls.

cree_buyer

Newly Enlightened
it's 1:52 am and i'm replying to this thread... :candle:

*edit: the CPF time post is wrong, wrong, wrong! I'm synched with the atomic clock!

Last edited:

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
It's 5:25am est. as I'm writing this reply. I must confess I am a vampire. If you want people to not believe you, just tell them the truth, it works every time. The sun is about to come up so it's nighty nite for me. Happy Dark Trails, keep several good lights on you when you're in the dark, you just never know what's waiting for you. We really can't stand the light.