UltraStinger advice needed

Torch

Newly Enlightened
Hear is the deal. I live on 9 acres and am looking for a light, preferably a rechargeable one that sits in a charger between uses, that will allow me to see what my dogs are barking at. My most powerful light right now is a SF L6. While good for it's relative small size, it just doesn't have enough throw for my purposes. While I'd like something easily portable, small size is not a requirement.

Amazon is selling the UltraStinger for about $80 shipped.

Is this a good light for my purposes? If not, what would you all suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Torch

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultrastinger is a really good light, and for your purpose, I'd be hard-pressed to find a better light.

It has a proven track record, proven reliability, excellent Streamlight warranty (if needed) and bulbs are readily available at most police supply stores.

-dan

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
How about the Dorcy 220 lumen rechargeable LED flashlight $50 from Sears? It is one of the best LED throwers currently on the market and can light up objecs well over 300 yards away with ease.

It has a 2 hour runtime, and does have to be unplugged once it is fully charged, but other than that it fits your criteria perfectly.

The Dorcy is long but still very lightweight and small enough to be carried in a pocket.

Last edited:

The Alliance

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the Dorcy 220 lumens is $40 now at Amazon, good price.

I have the Dorcy 1.5 million candle spotlight and the throw is amazing. Runtime stinks though.

Torch

Newly Enlightened
The Dorcy looks interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

How will the throw on the Dorcy be compared to the US?

maxilux

Enlightened
Torch, in my opinion i would not buy an Ultrastinger, it was a very good light, but it is years ago. I would better buy an led light, at example the Stinger C4 Led or others, there you can get more Flashlight, no replacement bulbs, i think near the same throw and so on.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From the numbers I see the Ultrastinger should throw similarly to the Dorcy.

Runtime on the Dorcy seems to be short though because of low capacity batteries.

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
Torch,

I feel your pain. I have a similar situation. I used to live across from a large public park. I used my Ultra Stinger to run folks out of there at night. (Teenagers cutting up and smoking dope.) The US really reached out even with a fair amount of ambient light from street lights. I have since moved and no longer have need for that sort of reach, but I still use the US for checking out what my pups are upset with outside. It just sits in the charger until I need it.

It is no longer cutting edge technology or very high speed, but it is a reliable, robust set-up that pushes a lot of lumens out the front. Until I upgrade to a 500+ lumen light, the US will be the go to light for outside. That said, my in-laws live on three open acres and they have an el cheapo rechargeable spotlight by the back door. This thing has a 4" head with a smooth reflector. That sucker will throw. It's a little embarassing how well it works compared to nicer, more expensive lights.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you consider easily portable? I am thinking n30 or vector pob or another spotlight, hid or otherwise for that matter. Both of those are a little hard to get right now. The mega illuminator is availibe but thats big.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know. I know. The UltraStinger is outdated. archaic old technology. There are brighter, smaller, higher tech lights by the dozen.

So why do I use it almost every day? It is plenty bright, light weight, and rechargeable without exotic batteries or expensive chargers. It is there, ready to go when I need it. I have added a Nite-Ize Grip 'N Clip for easy carry.

My Surefire D3 with Turbohead and HOLA will certainly equal or outperform the US, but at the much higher cost of primary cells. Under half an hour at full output.

I am keeping and using mine.

Mark

KIRWILLE

Newly Enlightened
Out of all the lights that I own my ultra stinger gets the most use. It comes with the home charger and the car charger so its either in my garage or my truck fully charged 24/7. I think because its rechargeable I always grab for it first. Everytime I get a new light I compare it to the US and I'm always impressed at how nice the US still performs...... If you get one I don't think you'll regret it.

D-Dog

Enlightened
I think the LED vs Incan debate which seems to make its way into every thread really comes down to how important color rendition for this thread...although there will always be other things as well... (LED's are more efficient, LED's run cooler, etc.)

I agree with some in saying the ultra is a gerat light, however with ni-cd batteries and an incan bulb, I can't really recommend it anymore. Just as much light can be thrown by an R2 or Q5 LED with an aspheric lens (mag mod), or even something like the Olight M20 with smooth reflector.

Plus these lights are smaller, will run longer, and are regulated... which means no ugly yellow beam at the end. Still, if the incan color tint appeals to you, by all means go that route. Hopefuilly by this time next year the warm-tint LED's will have caught up with the "cool tint" ones :)

rala

Newly Enlightened
If your property has any trees or shrubbery, I'd most likely use an incandescent. Especially if they're quite a distance away. I love my LEDs. But if my dogs were barking at someone hiding behind a bush, I think that with an incandescent it would be easier to differenciate them through the bush because of the better color renditioning. As opposed to an LED blending them in with the bush causing me to overlook them.

somebody

Newly Enlightened
Out of all the lights that I own my ultra stinger gets the most use. It comes with the home charger and the car charger so its either in my garage or my truck fully charged 24/7. I think because its rechargeable I always grab for it first. Everytime I get a new light I compare it to the US and I'm always impressed at how nice the US still performs...... If you get one I don't think you'll regret it.
I'd agree - not practicle for an EDC, but great to have around when you need them!

somebody

Newly Enlightened

I agree with that - Not very practicle for EDC, but a great light to have around!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Torch,

If you are considering incandescent, then I highly recommend the Dorcy Industrial Rechargeable Xenon Lantern which can be bought at Sears for $40 or OpticsPlanet.com for around $10 less. This light has almost double the throw of the Dorcy 220 lumen LED flashlight, and should throw much farther than the UltraStinger too. It has a 4 hour runtime on a full charge.

It has an amazing throw of about 500 yards and an extremely concentrated beam. The light itself is featherweight and compact.