new edc purchase advice please

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello i an looking to purchase a new edc possibly a fenix looking at the ld 10 or the pd 20 both being single cell and compact ,output not critical run time more of a benefit . Would appreciate advice from people who are familiar with these lights , i.e. The pros and cons of both models . Thank you cliff

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those two are great lights. I have nothing to complain about the modes since I only need the max brightness setting. I have the P2D and believe me there are not many flashlights (if any) that can perform better for the money.

Get the LD10 if you're not familiar with li-ions.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The PD20 and LD10 heads are identical, so you are buying the same light either way. The only difference is the cell choice. Do you want CR123 primaries (not RCR123's), or AA powered (alkaline, NiMH, or lithium primaries)?

Notice all the modes are the same brightness, except turbo. The PD20 has the same brightness on turbo as the LD20, which also uses the same head as the LD10.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I only have an older P3D which is really too big for your pants pockets as it is a bit too long. I have not needed the extra lumens you get with the PD30 either, and would choose the PD20 today for edc.

I have not owned either ofthe lights you mention. I did notice however that the PD20 is lighter in weight (39gms vs. 50 gms) and is shorter than the LD10. This shorter body makes it easier to carry without even being aware of it in your pocket. The LD10's AA battery has more capacity than the cr123a's, so may have a bit more runtime. This may sway you one way or the other...

Actually you might as well get them both now as you will anyway. It's just the way it is. And a TK20 too for the better night color vision ability. And don't forget a Deereelight DBS for throw. Oh, and you gotta have a SureFire E2D Defender for incan protection. Try to space the purchases out. Maybe a couple of days apart if you can. lol. Welcome to the club.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello thanks for the input ,liking the sounds of the pd 20 i have not owned a cr 123 powered torch before the price of the batts have put me off owning one ,here in the u.k. they can cost around £5 each for decent brand unless you buy in bulk then you get them for around £2 each ,so might give one a whirl . Let you know might get one of each .cliff

scout24

Flashaholic
My PD20 runs well on Tenergy 3.0v rcr123a's , 900 mah. in the long run, 2 or 3 with a charger is much more cost effective than primaries.
scout24

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello that was another question will the pd 20 work with rcr's or is that a strict no no as i use rechargeables in my current edc so charging batts not a problem .thanks cliff

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to consider for your EDC is the availability of batteries. The nice thing about using a 1xAA light is the ability to find inexpensive AA batteries almost anywhere if you need one. The CR123 batteries, on the other hand, can be hard to find in a pinch or VERY expensive if you can find them.

Of course you can buy CR123 batteries on-line quite inexpensively, but I'm talking about being out in the world and finding that you need a new battery.

Having said that, I still like 1xCR123/RCR123 lights because they can be quite compact while still being bright with good runtime.

While I really like Fenix lights, if I were looking to get an EDC now, I would seriously consider the new LiteFlux LF3XT:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=186497

Here is an excellent review by CPF member selfbuilt:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/218912

So what to do? My solution has been to carry 2 EDC lights. My primary EDC is a 1xRCR123 based light and my backup EDC is an inexpensive 1xAA light. That way I get the benefits of carrying two lights, and while I use my RCR123 light most, I know I can always find a AA battery if I need one.

If you decide you can only carry one EDC, you might consider going with a 1xAA light than is designed to use a 14500 lithium-ion rechargeable cell as well as regular AA batteries. That way you get the advantages of the the lithium-ion cell, but with the ability to pop in a regular AA battery if needed.

Here are two good choices:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181714
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=502

Good luck on your search for a new EDC.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello my current edc uses aa rechargeables infact most of my stuff uses aa 's but i have the need for a smaller edc , my aa mini mag serves me well (on my third atmo) ,but feel like i need a change a new bit of kit so to speak.cliff

Marduke

Flashaholic
hello my current edc uses aa rechargeables infact most of my stuff uses aa 's but i have the need for a smaller edc , my aa mini mag serves me well (on my third atmo) ,but feel like i need a change a new bit of kit so to speak.cliff

Since you have an AA setup already, the Fenix LD10, L1D, and NiteCore D10 and NDI, and Photon Proton Pro are 5 to look at. The D10 will be the smallest.

If you think you might go to Li-Ion later, the D10 and NDI will also accept those chemistries.

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
I cannot speak for the PD20, but the PD2 works with rcr123 cells. However, when I use rcr123 cells, the lower modes do not work, everything is in turbo mode. I knew this when I bought it, but it dosn't really bother me.

rockz4532

Enlightened
the rcr cells in the P2D is a risk, it may work or it may burn out the driver. i recommend the P2D also, i have one and it's my EDC

wishywashy7

Enlightened
So what to do? My solution has been to carry 2 EDC lights. My primary EDC is a 1xRCR123 based light and my backup EDC is an inexpensive 1xAA light. That way I get the benefits of carrying two lights, and while I use my RCR123 light most, I know I can always find a AA battery if I need one.

+1. This is why I carry a P3D backed by a L2D :thumbsup: