Surefire tailcap switch cover replacement?

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
The rubber switch cover on my Surefire D-2 is looking rather old and worn, and I have a couple of clickies from my L-4, when I thought I had a switch problem(turns out I had an early L-4 with a solder type 'ball' contact v. the newer rivet type. Surefire replaced the entire KL4.) and was wondering if it was possible to disassemble the tailcaps and switch the knurled rubber covers? I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Jay

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you talking about switching the rubber boot from a Z57(L4 tailcap) with the boot on the Z41(D2 tailcap)? If so, they're different sizes(underneath). At least I think they are.
Call SF. I don't think they'll replace the D2's tailcap for wear, but you can probably get the rubber boot from them. Lighthound used to have them, when they carried SF parts, and I thought I had a couple, but I can't find them.

If you mean switch from one Z57 to another...you should be able to do that.

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to drag this in another direction, but, does anyone know where one could pick up a switchboot for an L1/A2 tail? Surefire doesn't sell em...

fritzcat

Newly Enlightened
Does Surefire supply tailcap replacements?

Where can I buy one? :wave:

Fritz

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire does not replace worn rubber switch buttons as this is considered normal wear and tear. They are designed to afford grip and so like vehicle tyres will wear down through use.

The rubber switch buttons are not designed to be replaced by the end-user and so SureFire does not sell these components.

SureFire does sell complete new TailCaps. You can purchase these from SureFire by calling them directly, or any SureFire Dealer can order you one.
In general, most SureFire TailCaps have a Z-number model number.
The standard LockOut TailCap for the 6P and other standard body SureFires is Z41-BK (Black)
The standard Clickie TailCap for the E-Series in natural HA is Z57.
If you let us know the flashlight we'll let you know what TailCap is has and whether it is one with a Z-number. If it hasn't got a Z-number you'll need to call SureFire directly.

I hope this helps?

Al :)

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire does not replace worn rubber switch buttons as this is considered normal wear and tear. They are designed to afford grip and so like vehicle tyres will wear down through use.

The rubber switch buttons are not designed to be replaced by the end-user and so SureFire does not sell these components.

I hope this helps?

Al :)

Thanks Al - that was my experience when I ripped the boot on my A2 cap. I called SF CS to order a new boot but they just sent me an entire new cap (even though I insisted otherwise)! This is wonderful CS from SF but I am still left with a perfectly good bootless A2 cap that I'd love to re-boot and be able to use :cool: (what a mouthful :rolleyes:).

captainKrunch

Newly Enlightened
I just called/emailed the other day for a new boot for my L1 from 2005. I told them I carried this light daily for three years and the rubber finally had a hole worn through it. They are sending me a whole new cap. I would have been happy with just a boot.

I did mention that I recently purchased a few more SF's to let them know I am still buying their products

My pocket clip just broke also on my new L1 and of course they are sending me a new clip.

I really like their customer service and will spend the money to have their lights

seale_navy

Enlightened
I called surefire yesterday and I spoke to Greg from the customer service telling them about the worn off tail cap.

they told me, I have no choice but to buy new one..

well i know, that its stated in the warranty, boot switch its not covered. so its their right to say no to me..

but out of curiosity, has anyone experience the same thing as I did recently?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The warranty information that came with my 6P only mentions that WeaponLight switches aren't covered. The information with my E1L says no switches are covered. Has their warranty changed over the years?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sabrewolf has been working on making switch boots out of various GITD colors, for a whole variety of lights with a variety of markings. Right now the project is on hold, he needed to get some machining done. Apparently he made some but could not crank them out fast enough if I remember correctly.

Neale