Custom Flashlights can be addicting

J Smyth

Newly Enlightened
I have liked Flashlights for a long time but recently got the bug again and have bought a few custom ones that I really really like. I do use all the lights I own which is part of the fun of flashlights for me. :twothumbs This is most of what I could find in our house. There's a few that are MIA and I have about a half dozen more lights at our vacation home but there all repeats of whats in this picture.

Seems there's been a lot of advance's over the last 3 years or so in LED technology. For the most part I have Surefires and a Gladius lights that I have been carrying and leave in the cars now. Looks like some more customs may be in my future. :)

Cheers, Jim

fl1a.jpg

fl2a.jpg

FredLPK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I am with you!! Custom lights are very addicting! You MUST get a McGizmo!

What are those really small ones? Those are cool looking.

J Smyth

Newly Enlightened
morelite, me and Fred have been trying a few different things on the finish of a few LPK's. I am a hobbyist knife maker and I work a lot with Ti. I saw one of Fred's light's on a knife vendor's web page late last year and that got me to find Fred here. It's a long story but Fred sent me 2 LPK chassis to play with along with a couple of holders so I dont have to get my fingers in the buffer. The holders also were used to hold the LPK while being satin finished on the lathe. I high polished them and then heat colored them with a torch. I also soldered a 14KT jump ring on them both and made leather lanyards with Gold Vermeil findings. I have one and Fred (or Fred's wife) has the other. ;) I started wearing mine daily to first off check out how well the leather necklace holds up because I make other things in Titanium that I am going to sell on the lanyards. Unfortuantely after about a month my LPK started wearing the color slightly off on the edges. I thought it would hold up better but I guess with daily use it wont. So I put it back on the holder and spun it on the lathe and gave it a nice 600 grit satin finish leaving the color in the recesses where it wont go away with use. Pretty nice look I may add. I am sure Fred can do this on any of his Lights if you want it done that way. It can either be heat colored or anodized. This coloring would preferably be done initially before he epoxies the emittor/driver in the head of the light. I hope this helps..............:D

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, I really like the look of it. I have the AAA Killer on a Ti chain around my neck. I may have to give this a try if I can remove the guts from the head.

Latest posts