Anyone happily using any Amilite products?

coors

Enlightened
Lately I've been pouring over Amilite reviews, from early 2007, and the Amilite site itself. The Neo T5 model is the one that I'm most interested in, because it's clicky. Apparently these were very highly regarded flashlights when they first appeared, according to 2x glowing reviews that I've read. I also read where people were using rcr123s and burning out the LEDs, because of over voltage, and how the reflectors were misaligned/hard to align.
I'm wondering if any early adopters of these lights are still using them, and what the opinions are of people that have purchased one of these in recent times.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd still recommend the Neo T5. It's almost two years old now, but still holds its own with current lights. It's like a floody E1B with the stages reversed (and no clip, unfortunately).

Incidentally, all of the AmiLite bodies and heads are interchangeable. Last I checked, they didn't sell the Neo T5's 2-stage, clicky body separately, but it works just fine with the CUTY head.

Xak

Enlightened
Got a T5 couple years ago. Use it for my light @ work (Paramedic). The beam is flawless, like a snowball. No definable hotspot, it's just brightest in the middle and fades into spill. ...and there's plenty of spill. It has 2 modes, Low and High. I like it simple like that during emergencies, and if I need to hand the light to someone else it's easy for them to use as well. The low is perfect to do tasks that are up close and saves battery life. The high is very bright. I wanted a small 1x123 light because I can hold it in my mouth if I need to while I'm starting an IV or something.

Since I've gotten it there have been other 1X123 lights out there that have interested me (I own a chrome Lumapower IncinDio V2 that I carry outside of work), but none of them have significantly improved on the brightness, beamquality, runtime, simple Low-High-Off interface enough for me to replace it. I've dropped it on the cement a couple times and it didn't scratch and always worked.

The Novatac series had interested me, they use the same P4 LED and most likely have a beam just as beautiful, but even the simplest one had 3 modes and I only wanted low and high. The new EagleTac 1X123 lights interest me because they have low and high modes, but in order to change modes you need to twist the head (IIRC). This is a dealbreaker for what I need @ work. Sometimes when I pull out the light I need a free hand and I prefer just clicking the power switch a second time to get more light not clicking the power switch then fumbling with the head to get the desired amount of light I want.

Of all my lights the Amilite T5 still has the nicest beam.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've handled a T5 - great build quality - and it has as nice a beam as any light I know of. I love the way it is brightest in the center and fades very evenly out to the sides. The only reason I don't have one is the lack of a good rechargeable battery option. I have 3.0v protected LiIon cells, but they have such low mA capacity it is frustrating.

coors

Enlightened
Hey, thanks a whole lot for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me about this light/company's lights. I really enjoyed reading all that you wrote! Based on the info shared here I definitately want to get a T5, now. I've purchased 2x cr123 flashlights within the last year. While both are bright they are exceedingly inefficient, one giving max runtimes of less than 20 mins (on rcr) and the other hovering around 30 mins. Also, the complex UI's are getting tiresome. I really think the the T5 could be a refreshing departure from the "latest and greatest" pit that I have felt like I've been falling into.
:candle:

Xak

Enlightened
Yeah, but I was told that they aren't designed for rechargeable batteries. i.e. the 3.7v or 3.6v (whichever they are). They can burn the bulb. I would just use primaries or the 3.0v rechargeables.

The Amilite T5 is not quite as effecient as other lights, but not too far behind. The high mode will last you somewhere around 40-45min. The low (which I use far more often) is good for at least 4 hrs.

When I first got mine it would flicker alot. I e-mailed the owner, he sent me a brand new switch right away, and I haven't had any problems since.

Sometimes the reflector can shift inside the head, leaving the LED off center. This doesn't effect the beam, though. I hear this is fixable on your own.

Just trying to let you know of problems I've had and heard of. But like I said, I love this light, and still can't find another that is significantly better to fill it's niche.

coors

Enlightened
Thanks for the additional info, Xak! That's good to hear, that they stand behind their product. Is the 40-45min, high-mode runtimes, from primaries or 3.0v rcr123's? That's about half of what they are plugging on their site. I'm glad that you mentioned this, because my expactation was for 90min runtimes and I guess that I was deluding myself about that. I will have to reconsider my take on this, based on these new facts that you've presented. Still, a nice beam and "perfect" UI make me really want one of these. I really appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with me!:)

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love my amilite cuty xre and now i lego it with my P2d & L2d body and i have tactical amilite cuty :kiss:

IPMON:%20LL014020_TRSB_Taiping_loopback%20is%20back%20UP%20at%2008:58:41%20%5BWednesday,28-Jan-2009%5D%20%5Bping%5D%20%20Duration%20of%20Failure:%2016%20hours,%202.97%20minutes
P7140038Custom.jpg

P7140037Custom.jpg

litetube

Enlightened
That is one funky looking setup. I luv interchangeable light components and this is definitley going to the extremes!!

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
Hold your horses. I recently spoke with an Amilite rep and was informed that there are new lights coming our way. He didn't reveal a release date but indicated that things are in the works. Of course, don't let this hinder your purchasing a T5 or Cuty XRE. They are both fantastic lights!

I happen to own the T5 and can attest that it is one of the finest lights I own. As previously mentioned, the beam is flawless and I've found nothing yet that has influenced me to replace it.

The company makes outstanding products and puts a lot into quality. Late last year, being on the tail-end of my MBA, I contacted the company and offered a series of suggestions as to how they could improve their offerings and compete with other companies within the industry. Nevertheless, I hope that whatever direction the company takes, they will continue to provide us with quality products. I believe some of the most successful companies are those who take consumer feedback into consideration (not necessarily mine).

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 T5's and 1 T3. I had trouble with the T5's but it was fixed by Amilite. On the end of the body where the switch spring goes through there is supposed to be a plastic insert in place. It was missing. Amilite sent them for free. I have also ordered Bizman bezels and they sell very nice lanyards too. I got a two stage tail for the T3, works great. Very nice lights all in all.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very rarely carry clicky switch lights, just due to preference, however, I still carry and enjoy the T5, as it has a great beam pattern and is IMO, well made.

150810491_F2Dx6-M.jpg

Next to a TnC Cr2
150810561_f9eSY-M.jpg

Xak

Enlightened
I got the Bizman head, too. Better for pocket carry, I really don't need a strike bezel on a 1x123 light. BTW, I use primaries in mine.

As far as the runtimes I never did just leave it on straight till it died. I've read reviews of people who did and I believe they said roughly 40 - 45min on high. I don't consider this too shabby for a 130 lumen light on 123 primaries. I've had the light a couple years and have only changed the battery a few times, but like I said I use it mostly @ work for short periods of time.

The battery died on me once when I was in the attic helping Serve-Pro clean up after a leak in my roof. We needed to use tools on the end of broom handles to get way far into some crevace and therefore needed lots of light. They had crappy lights, I mean useless. I used the T5 and let them hold a cheaper light of mine. Anyhow, having a well used battery as it was the light lasted about 1/2 hr on high then "poof" it went out. I turned it on again, it went on low, but would not switch to high. I thought it is good that the light won't totally leave you in the dark if it's the only light you have and the battery runs out. I replaced the battery and was right back in action.

Other than situations like that you'll be surprised how often you use the low mode over the high mode because it is simply too bright.

Another thing that surprised me, and grew on me, was that the light is a dark green, not black like it appears in some of the website pictures, but this is a nice strong finish (annodizing?) and does not mark up easily.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold your horses. I recently spoke with an Amilite rep and was informed that there are new lights coming our way. He didn't reveal a release date but indicated that things are in the works. Of course, don't let this hinder your purchasing a T5 or Cuty XRE. They are both fantastic lights!

I happen to own the T5 and can attest that it is one of the finest lights I own. As previously mentioned, the beam is flawless and I've found nothing yet that has influenced me to replace it.

The company makes outstanding products and puts a lot into quality. Late last year, being on the tail-end of my MBA, I contacted the company and offered a series of suggestions as to how they could improve their offerings and compete with other companies within the industry. Nevertheless, I hope that whatever direction the company takes, they will continue to provide us with quality products. I believe some of the most successful companies are those who take consumer feedback into consideration (not necessarily mine).
Excellent news!!

Thanks for sharing.

coors

Enlightened
Really nice images, guys! jeffb, what kind of light is that behind the T5 in your 1st image? That looks interesting too, to me.
I'll probably be ordering one of these T5 Neo's, soon. Thanks, again, Xak for your valuable input. I'm trying to decide whether I want to go with the Bizman (15lumen low-mode) or the Double (30lumen low-mode). Yes, jeffb's outdoor pictures really show the color nicely. That's just the perfect color for a light, in my opinion.
That's nice to learn that this company is planning to release even more models/improvements. Very good to see that they're thriving, especially in these times!:)

coors

Enlightened
Received a T3...

ami_1.jpg

Image shows the T3 w/ a T5 body and tailcap. Having low-mode is great as it makes the cr123 batteries last a lot longer. I've also changed the emitter to a Cree XP-E R2 (WG-tint) and I've substituted the smooth reflector (my T3 is an early version) with a 26deg Ledil LXP Optic. This is my favourite light!

:)

Last edited: