• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB - 18650 dead / dying size cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I am working on a project light (Project "Tornado" ) and would like to double check a variety of 18650 ish size cells for fit, ideally, at least a few of a number of brands.

Examples
- Pila 600P
- AW 18650 2200 and lower capacity
- Tenergy
- A123 cells
- etc.

I don't need new, perfect cells - this is for mechanical fit up use only. If they are dead or dead-like, that is fine. Scratches are fine as well. Please - no obvious leakers.

The reason for this, is that I had a body bored to the theoretical spec size, and some brands fit, and others still didn't. JimH was kind enough to help me test this at a recent flashlight party / get together, but I failed to bring along the proper measuring tools. :ohgeez:

Anyway, I am hoping to pick these cells up relatively inexpensively used, rather than drop a few hundred dollars on enough new cells to be "sure".

I am more than happy to pay domestic shipping and a nominal fee for the cells - or - you can just let me know what the total would be, and IF - BIG IF - I ever get this Project Tornado light going, then I would just drop this off of the price back to you.

This should not be considered a down payment that is for buying a light - more just a contribution to a MAYBE IT WILL HAPPEN, MAYBE NOT project light. I have a long memory for those that have helped me.

This next 2 weeks will be quite busy for me - travel + Photonics West Conference, so don't expect rapid replies please. If you post here or pm, I will reply with a PO box adr for you.

Thanks

HarryN

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: WTB - "Mechanical" size cells

I may be able to measure some cells for you at work, if that helps. I can't send them to you.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi PaulR - Thanks - it does help of course - and I would appreciate it if it is not too much bother.

The trick is that modern protected cells are not really circles and not quite elliptical either They have little protection strips on the sides and other bulges just to keep life interesting. Sometimes, they are a bit soft as well.

The measurements will help, but real life cells to test after before and after re-boring for fit are still needed.

Thanks

Harry

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Harry,

PM me your address, and I will send you one for the cause.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a 2 dead unprotected 18650 Samsung cells if your interested. They are yours for $4 shipped if you would like them. Let me know!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
jdriller - thanks - pm sent

Jason - Thanks, but I am going to pass on the unprotected cells. Those did fit. The challenge is really the non round aspect of the protected cells.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Harry

I have a dead flat-top protected AW 18650, but it looks like it has leaked out of the + terminal. I have several dead AW 17670's as well if you need them.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Harry

I have a dead flat-top protected AW 18650, but it looks like it has leaked out of the + terminal. I have several dead AW 17670's as well if you need them.

Hi - Thanks for the offer. The largest dia cells at the meet seemed to be the new AW 18650s and the Pila cells IIRC. This is really what I need as a double to send on to the machinist for final fit up.

The AW cells are pretty inexpensive, so that is not a big deal to buy 1 - 2. I saw one site selling Pilas where the min order was $44. That seemed like a lot for cells that I don't plan to use myself. That is my main reason for looking around some more.

Maybe it is just me - I try to rotate old cells out of use every 1 -2 years just for safety regardless of cycles. I figured there would be plenty of marginal stuff out there.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will give this one bump, then I guess if no cells show up, I will just buy some and send them to the machinist.

Go figure, a room full of flashlight guys and no one admits to having a dead battery. :crackup:

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm closing this, as it does not belong in this section. Cells, used or otherwise, are not custom or modified items.

Status
Not open for further replies.