Newbe looking for quick answer

usttdxd

Newly Enlightened
I want to but the brightest flashlight for 300 bucks....even if i have to make it....whats the simple easy answer? I Appreciate any help. I'm a flashlight lover that just realized that there are forums for this sort of stuff.......wild!:sick2:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
1: :welcome:

2: have you tried using 'search'

3: things arent as simple as " i want the brightest ", ok, so we recommend a set up within your budget but its HUGE e.g. runs off 12v car batteries, or we recommend something insanely bright but only runs for 4 minutes.

MY recommendation is : go to THIS LINK fill in the questionaire, cut and paste it in a reply to this thread so we can help you.

Your question is kinda like going to a tailor and saying, here's $300.00 make me the best suit ever!!! without telling him what the suit is for, what material you want, etc etc.

so, help US to help YOU.

cheers

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the brightest light(s) are:
1st a HID, like Maxabeam and such,
2nd ROP (a modded Maglite) is a bit less bright,
or some of these 15,-- crap lights with lead battery, that power an automotive bulb
but all are else huge, or weight a lot, or run for just short time, or all of these together and most possibly wont be with You when needed

so for a "use" light that You will have packed when needed, better a smaller one?

two AA batts: Fenix LD20
one 18650 li-ion: Jetbeam Jet III (one of the models)
all of these new led lights will be much brighter than 99 % of the lights the other ppl do bring around, You will like them
the 18650 is the better option atm.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I say just buy a bunch of florescent light with $150-200 and use the other part to build something to power them all. That should get you over 10000 lumen.

What type of light are you looking for?
Do you want throw or just output? A 10 lumen well focused light can out throw a 1000 lumen floody one.
How much runtime?
Power source?
Preferred price?
Multimode?
Preferred light source?
Use of light?
Quality?
What do you have now?

A typical 2D light with fresh batteries is around 15 lumen.

:welcome:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

There is no quick answer. So take your time learning and deciding.
I have seen too many newcomers buy half a dozen lights in the excitement of finding CPF, then post "My wife will kill me."
I have also seen many people spend $100 and more, way more, then try to sell the light in less than a month because they find it does not suit them.

Start with
The welcome mat.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172991

A few things to consider while making your choice:

1) SIZE
The brightest are usually HUGE
p1000031resizeji1named.jpg

Tebore got a sore back carrying that HID around that night. (A couple of CPF members have lights that have to be towed behind a truck!)
a) So do you need something that fits on a keychain so you have it with you as long as you have your keys;
b) Something bigger but still fit inside a pocket;
c) Something bigger but can be holster carried on a belt;
d) Something that will go in a backpack, briefcase, vehicle, kitchen drawer;
e) I don't care the size and weight, I only use it for demonstration purposes.

2) TINT
a) Most LED lights are 'pure white', they usually have too much blue in them. They are fine for indoors or downtown where most walls are white or gray;
b) If you go for 'a walk in the woods' LEDs are not great as they turn green leaves blue and do not differentiate the various brown colours of tree trunks and leaves during fall colour changes well. Many CPF members will stick with incans for that purpose;
c) There is a new breed of LED lights called neutral warm white. They have much less blue than the regular LEDs but not as yellow as the incans so are nice LEDs for outdoors. The downside - a dirty brown when used indoors.
d) High CRI LEDs - these are LEDs that are closest to sunlight in tint but they are not the brightest in their class.

3) PRICE
You have specified a maximum of $300. Would you be willing to split that up into multiple torches so the maximum is still under $300?
The way I see it is you need
a) An EDC AND A BACKUP. I was caught with a dead battery in my Solitaire during the big blackout of 2003 and have to feel my way up many flights of stairs. Now I always carry at least 2 torches.
b) A light in every vehicle.
c) A utility light in the kitchen drawer, workshop, and/or by your bedside.
d) A dedicated outdoors light if required.

If you show up with that great big HID in the picture above, everybody expects it to be bright - no surprise,
If you dig up a Fenix L0D CE/L0D Q4/LD01 out of your pocket, but have stealthily replaced the AAA battery with an 10440 Li-on the 140-200 lumens, while only 1/20th-1/30th that of the HID, will generate a lot of OOOHs and AAAHs. Nobody expects that kind of output from a tiny AAA flashlight.
The L0D CE is the one on the keychain on the right. (The minimag is a cutdown 1AA variant).
EDC.jpg

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's also important to note that some of the technology used in some of the higher power lights around here, especially high power incan, uv tech or li-ion batteries can actually be physically dangerous if not used, maintained and monitored properly. There are some lights around here that are very small - 2-3 cells - that produce around 700-1500lumens for a very short time. I'm guessing that's what you mean, brightest for a particular size? However I would say lights like these are really only for the more experienced users, as they use a lot of voltage, draw big current and the cells require constant monitoring to ensure safe operation. Have fun, but be safe.

Last edited: