Options for replacing a 4x 2/3A pack (123 etc)

Mong

Newly Enlightened
Looking to upgrade a Brinmann Maxfire rechargeable light. Currently it has a (dead) 4 x 2/3A 650 Mah Nicad battery as well as the stock charger (100ma if I remember). It will be upgraded to a Malkoff 60 series drop-in and I am aware of the heat issues (it will not be used for long runs at all).

#1 Run 3 x 123 batteries with a spacer. It looks like a spacer of about a 1/2 x 123 would be the correct size but if someone knows for sure I would gladly appreciate the size and where to get it if possible.

#2 Using #1 as a backup, get a replacement pack from www.cheapbatterypacks.com using the Elite 1500 2/3A cells. I am aware of the long charge time using the stock charger and that would be acceptable. Would there be any issues with charging a NimH pack at such a slow rate? If there is a charger that you can recommend, please do so although cost is always an issue and option #2 can be scrapped for now.

#3 Do both, and that is the preferred option :D

If the 2/3A pack goes down I can switch to the 123s as well as to a backup light. I'm not really interested in LiIons for this but will listen to any thoughts you may have.

Any suggestions?