Who wants to build Led Flashlights?

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Just like the title says! I have a good friend with a local machine shop here in Indiana who after listening to me about the flashlight hobby is very interested in manufacturing custom after market or modification parts for existing lights or custom lights as a whole...who is up to the task? The machine shop has full CAD design, CNC lathe and mills, Wire EDM and Fab shop capabilities, so nothing is impossible! If you have great ideas and are willing to go out on a limb let me know this is for real. There are a lot of people out here with useful knowledge why let it go to waste. My friends shop has manufactured custom racing parts for a well known company so he is very familiar with Aluminum, Titanium, Stainless steel as well as other exotic alloys! Who's not scared:naughty:. Lets have some real fun! :popcorn:

If you are already a builder but need some high output backup this is for you as well! My friends shop is setup for production runs...Lathes have bar stock feeders, mills have pallets with rotary indexing heads.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
This would probably fit best in Custom Builders & Modders, so I'm moving it there. It's an interesting proposition, and I hope people will see it.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your offer

How about a host for multiple LED configurations? Member LED Zeppelin makes some unbelievable heatsink kits and builds for the Surefire M6, now if you can build a custom host that would hold 3s X 17650, or even 3s X 18650 in a triangle pack, with multiple drop-in heatsinks for SSC P7, MCE, XRE, etc. you would have the best of both worlds.

The only problem I see, keeping the cost down. I know how easily a custom build can top $500 which takes it out of most peoples (including me) price range.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
What sort of machining are we talking about here? "I need two tubes of this-and-that size", or "here's a CAD drawing, CNC me a thousand please"?
Also, some prices would be nice :)

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are we talking "a run" or would it be possible to have custom made parts...?

:twothumbs

Last edited:

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Just to give you an ideal of the shop, the equipment consist of 1 Mazak quickturn 8 , 1 quickturn 10, 2, quickturn 15, Nexus qtn, Hyundai 15 & 20 and a slant 20 and 35. As for mills there are two Hurco's two vtc 20's with rotary indexers, 2 ajv 25's and a ajv 18 with a 2 pallet changer. Machining consist of anything from one custom part to thousands of parts. materials? You name it! I hope this gives you a good ideal. Thanks

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to give you an ideal of the shop, the equipment consist of 1 Mazak quickturn 8 , 1 quickturn 10, 2, quickturn 15, Nexus qtn, Hyundai 15 & 20 and a slant 20 and 35. As for mills there are two Hurco's two vtc 20's with rotary indexers, 2 ajv 25's and a ajv 18 with a 2 pallet changer. Machining consist of anything from one custom part to thousands of parts. materials? You name it! I hope this gives you a good ideal. Thanks

2pallets of what......??

Last edited:

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Pallets are machine tables. while one table is in the machine running, the other pallet is outside the machine being loaded with parts then they automatically swap out and run. less down time!

collector

Newly Enlightened
hehe, lolz.....
Hi, this is a nice offer. I have some work I need. Some custom parts machined, small runs, 1 or 2 pcs, maybe 3. Mostly circular tubes, some threads, maybe knurls, (yes, flashlight-parts, lol)...

My interest would depend on the price.
Is there a price for bar stock and hourly fee ?

I could send some drawings with dimensions (sorry, no CAD) if you can provide me your e-mail addy. Not sure if everyone should post their projects here...

Thanks in advance !

Packesel

Newly Enlightened
I started to create a flashlight with CAD. It will have an adjustable heatsink so that many different reflectors should fit (deep reflectors for more throw). At the moment I am not sure if the host will hold 3 x 18650 ore 1 x D-Lion. I would prefer 3 x 18650 but this would be more expensive. The LED will be a P7 or a Cree MCE. Both will work.
But what do I have to do with the surface if I choose Aluminium or Titanium? Is it enough to polish it? The color of my flashlight should be silver not black.
BTW: The size will be similar to a 1D Maglite.

Regards

Packesel

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys, I'm in the process of gathering some information right now. What I would like to do is get my friend setup on here to answer questions himself. I know he is not a forum user but we will see how it goes!

sport69

Newly Enlightened
Still working on getting my buddy out here, so far he has done one quote for another CPF'r! We will see how it goes. :wave: