Wuben        
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,497 of 1497

Thread: RARE MAGLITES

Default Re: RARE MAGLITES

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post

The silver ones are very rare! There's actually more finishes than I would have thought on those early lights. I suspect Mag was using them to test new finishes because they were small and easier to take a loss on if the finish didn't come out good. I've seen just about 10 finishes on them total. The full size Mags didn't start getting a lot of finishes until the mid 1990s.

I usually save whatever good parts there still are like the head and tail cap but pitch the body. I've tried dozens of times to restore these but they're just too small to work with. I use a wire brush attached to a drill on the larger lights to remove corrosion but I can't do that on these. The tail caps are almost always corroded too and then the spring doesn't sit right. I will def give you a shout if I run across any like that. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear about them. I do get a dozen or so requests a year to restore Mini Mags but I usually turn them down unless the original owner can get the tail cap off.
    Is ditching the body due to corrosion or unable to to get the cells out?

For cleaning corrosion on those, aside from a vinegar soak, a dremel has various attachments that can work well.

I've taken corrosion bubbles down with some careful scrubbing with round files.

I've got 3 mini mags on the way(one is a 3 aa) that are corroded shut. Hard part will be getting the caps off.
    I've been planning to alternate soaking between vinegar and penetrating oils to try and get those caps off.

Have you ever used a hydraulic press to get cells out?
    You'll likely have to sacrifice the bulb assembly but you should be able to press them out.

As for cleaning the inside, dremel tools are one option. Or, rolled up sand paper and time could clean the bores on them i would think.

Stuck end caps and stuck batteries have been my biggest challenges on the Mini Mags. Everything I do for the bigger Mags just doesn't seem to work on these because they're just too small.

I like the idea of the rolled up sandpaper though. I think I've done that over a drill bit in the past on other projects to expedite the removal of the corrosion so I may try that again here. Thanks!!

I recently picked up a Gold Anodized 1984 Mini Mag. I'm sure everyone has seen the gold plated over brass models before but this is the first anodized one I've seen. It has the white fill in the stamping and it's very light so it's definitely aluminum and not brass. The gold plated over brass is at the bottom and the gold anodized is right above it. A couple other cool 1984 Mini Mags are thrown in too. I think I have all of the finishes now although they aren't shown in this photo. The only exception is Pink. I missed out on a Pink 1984 about a year or so ago. They must be super rare and another member here picked it up.

If you mean the light pink then I can't help. If you mean hot pink I have 1-2 extra of those.

For pink... I would search overseas: germany and switzerland.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    If you mean the light pink then I can't help. If you mean hot pink I have 1-2 extra of those.

For pink... I would search overseas: germany and switzerland.
    Are they the stamped bezel, 1984 ones? That's really the one I'm after. I have a laser etched one I think.

Also, I found this awesome light fixture for sale recently. I wanted it really bad for our dining room but my wife said "NO!".

.... I found this awesome light fixture for sale recently. I wanted it really bad for our dining room but my wife said "NO!". ....
    Could probably sell more than a few of those here on CPF
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post

Future collectables:
    This years National Law Enforcement Memorial lights
    I bought the 2aaa minimag and the solitaire version.

The aaa minimag

The Solitaire
    2D ML300 version available now and a aa minimag pro, plus XL50 version.

I ordered the 2D version for a useable display to ward off evil spirits and andy tifa.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-12-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    John 3:16

Another of my custom Maglites. Seoul P7 emitter, Flupic driver and tailcap switch.

Also, I found this awesome light fixture for sale recently. I wanted it really bad for our dining room but my wife said "NO!".
    Happy wife - happy life, and everything, but that's pretty darn cool.

Icarius,how efficient is the Flupic driver?

Bill

bykfixer, I see what you did there.
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Icarius,how efficient is the Flupic driver?

Bill
    Hi Bill,

Well, the Flupic is a linear driver (max input voltage = 5.5V) so efficiency depends on the voltage difference between input and output. The higher the difference the more has to be burned off so the less efficient the driver will be. The more the input voltage drops towards the output voltage (Vf of the LED) the more efficient the driver becomes. In other words efficiency will improve as the input voltage drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Another of my custom Maglites. Seoul P7 emitter, Flupic driver and tailcap switch.
    Very awesome!! I love seeing those custom Mags! I sometimes go back and look through some of the old Fivemega posts and drool over them. It's crazy how different things were in the flashlight world just 10 - 15 years ago.

I also thought I'd share a pic from another collector that I correspond with. He gave me permission to post it. It is of super rare Red, Gold, and Blue 7Ds. Like the 7D Vari-Beam that sold a few months back they are one off pieces that a Mag employee had done. Unfortunately for us Maglite only officially produced 7Ds in Black. All 3 are brand new and unused. The variations in early Maglites is amazing and I'm fully convinced there are still rare lights out there that we haven't seen yet.

Very awesome!! I love seeing those custom Mags! I sometimes go back and look through some of the old Fivemega posts and drool over them. It's crazy how different things were in the flashlight world just 10 - 15 years ago.
    These were the heydays of CPF. Fivemega did some great things with Maglites. Not to mention the Ellies which were based on Maglites but had a 3" head and wider battery tube.

I also thought I'd share a pic from another collector that I correspond with. He gave me permission to post it. It is of super rare Red, Gold, and Blue 7Ds. Like the 7D Vari-Beam that sold a few months back they are one off pieces that a Mag employee had done. Unfortunately for us Maglite only officially produced 7Ds in Black. All 3 are brand new and unused. The variations in early Maglites is amazing and I'm fully convinced there are still rare lights out there that we haven't seen yet.

They are soooo beautiful! Do they also have a serial number?

Given they are likely a hand done job... serial numbers would not match.

Also, is it the pic or has the red faded a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Also, is it the pic or has the red faded a lot?
    Right, the red looks more like orange.

I edited out some of the warmth in the original. Hope Lift'd doesn't mind.

... It is of super rare Red, Gold, and Blue 7Ds. Like the 7D Vari-Beam that sold a few months back they are one off pieces that a Mag employee had done. Unfortunately for us Maglite only officially produced 7Ds in Black. All 3 are brand new and unused. The variations in early Maglites is amazing and I'm fully convinced there are still rare lights out there that we haven't seen yet.

Those are the stuff of dreams!

Alright already with posting the picture. Four times is more than my OCD can handle with the lights not being parallel with the Oak flooring!!!

Part of me wants to post it a 5th time to see if CG will actually burst into flames……

Nah that would not be the CPF thing to do.

Part of me wants to post it a 5th time to see if CG will actually burst into flames……

Nah that would not be the CPF thing to do.

At least you could tilt it so that the floor looks straight.

. .. ... .... ..... NOPE!

Funny thing, I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it, lol.

Just me or does the finish look 'matte'?

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    They are soooo beautiful! Do they also have a serial number?
    They do. The serial numbers are stamped before the lights are anodized. The Mag employee sent these bare lights off to be anodized with others (mostly 2Ds and 3Ds) so the owner tells me they are the same finish as the other Mag blue, red, and gold lights from the same generation.

I edited out some of the warmth in the original. Hope Lift'd doesn't mind.
    Thanks!!! That looks more like I would expect them to!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Alright already with posting the picture. Four times is more than my OCD can handle with the lights not being parallel with the Oak flooring!!!
    I thought I was the only one!

One of my favourite Maglites.

Here's one that will be like the Cabellas Maglite someday. Only available at Nine-Line Apparel, which is a foundation that assists wounded soldiers return to a normal life whether the scars are mental or physical.

The 3 cell ML300 LX.
    The 2 cell ML50 are all gone and only a few ML300's remain.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404344454647484950