Jetbeam        
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 252829303132333435
Results 1,021 to 1,046 of 1046

Thread: RARE MAGLITES

Default Re: RARE MAGLITES

Eh, the blister pack may crumble anyway. I found some nip Streamlight (incan) Keymates in yellow'd plastic and it was like handling paper mache'. Too much clamp in any area ended up with a hole in that part of the package.

No harm in removing a Maglite light from the original packaging.
    John 3:16

Crumble it did, indeed! But only after the seller clearly opened it with a knife. The sharp pieces of plastic putting shallow scratches into the lens that don't buff out. Not happy! Okay, bought some Malkoff accessories to transform it into something I can use nowadays. On the outside it'll still look stock. Guess that decision of upgrade or preserve as is, was made for me.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I like Maglites, I sold the compacts in my retail store in the mid 1980s to early 90s after we dropped the Teknas. I know most of this thread are the big boys, but wanted to add a couple of promotional Maglites of the smaller kind because I am sure that nobody had seen them. One gold 2 AAA, a promotion Kodak films had that if you bought a certain amount of film you get a free commemorative Maglite by mail for the 1988 Olympics games in which they were a sponsor. Since I sold Kodak film, it was quite easy to get. Sadly, I had left batteries in it for years and of course they leaked luckily I was able to remove them but had damaged the bezel front in the process. Besides those dents it looks pretty good. The other is a Solitaire, from about the same time with a promotion from Camel cigs. Yes I smoked back then. It's in excellent condition. Not pictured I have a sealed NASCAR rainbow 3 D. I actually bought it to use around 2001, but luckily never opened it. If I recall it was about $20.00. Looking at these incan models, the light output is so sad. It's like a blob of annoying yellow rings. When I got my first LED Maglite I was blown away.

I have one of the Camel Solitaires...maybe two, can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    I have one of the Camel Solitaires...maybe two, can't remember.
    Yeah, they are pretty common since if i recall you got one with the purchase of two packs of cigarettes. Back then it was about a dollar a pack, so two dollars got you two packs and a little Maglite. A good deal.

I remember finding a Camel solitaire outside or something when I in my teens. I scraped off the anodizing so that it was silver because I was not a smoker and didn't want that association. For some reason I remember I had a tough time finding AAA back then we didn't have many things that ran off one around. Once I found a AAA cell I fired it up, looked at the pathetic output, laughed to myself and took the battery out and chucked it.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    I remember finding a Camel solitaire outside or something when I in my teens. I scraped off the anodizing so that it was silver because I was not a smoker and didn't want that association. For some reason I remember I had a tough time finding AAA back then we didn't have many things that ran off one around. Once I found a AAA cell I fired it up, looked at the pathetic output, laughed to myself and took the battery out and chucked it.
    But back then, before the days of LED there were really not any better brighter lights of that key chain size. I carry a tiny Energizer LED on my key ring that takes 4 tiny button cells. It's 15x brighter than any little light back then and cost about $9.00.

Oh I hear you, but it was so far beneath the Rayovac Workhorse 2D I owned (which was my first light) it didn't get any consideration....I was a teen so impulse pitched the solitaire.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Very nice lights guys!

I got in this beaut the other day for restoration. It came in pretty rough:

But I got her all fixed up and lit!

It's a 1980 2D Vari-Beam, serial number ~54,000. You can tell due to the "Paten Pending" stamp on the barrel along with the low serial number. It had the original switch with the bare copper contacts but due to battery leakage it was pretty well corroded. It left with a later style plastic retaining ring switch because the owner plans to use the light. Most times I am able to restore the old switches and keep these lights original but that wasn't desired in this case. There would have been a lot more labor and I would have still had to purchase a new switch to replace the broken post. Luckily the retaining ring wasn;t stuck ans they take a considerable amount of effort to remove I also soaked the light in vinegar and removed a ton of corrosion inside.

Lesson: always store your lights without batteries and always use new, high quality batteries from the same lot if you're using alkalines! Hope ya enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

My Red Maglite 2C was manufactured in March 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    I got in this beaut the other day for restoration. It came in pretty rough:

But it turned out looking really good after restoration!

I love maglites but never knew that there was a call for rare ones. I just saw on eBay a guy selling a supposed prototype solitare, before they were called solitares. Said it was known as "marques" or something like that. Things beat up and used and he wants 500 for it lol
    ~Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst~

It's not technically a prototype but they are extremely rare. They were produced for only 1 month in 1988 before the name was changed to Solitaire. I did a post on my blog about probably more than you'd ever want to know: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2...solitaire.html

That one's been kicking around on ebay for a while. They are one of the rarest Maglites but collectors are looking for the large lights like 7Cs and 7Ds because they display much better and are just perceived as cooler. The mods don't like discussion about price here but I will say I've never seen one sell for much over $50. Collectors just don't pay the high prices that the bigger lights fetch. I've gotten quite a few inquiries on my blogs about buying the full size lights but never once on a Solitaire and only a couple on Mini Mags. Here's my pair of Marquis:

They also came in silver and are ever rarer in that finish! I don't have one but would love to someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    My Red Maglite 2C was manufactured in March 1990.
    Man I am digging that red C cell! It's the only one I've ever seen. Not sure why but the red ones are tougher to find than Lime Green, Std. Green, Purple, Blue, just about any other finish.

Thanks for the link, ill read it here in a few and browse through the other articles. I love maglites, even though I've talked bad about them here recently with a few that gave me problems. But there's something "holy grail" about holding a D maglite that's good for the flashaholic soul lol
    ~Pray for the best, but prepare for the worst~

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Man I am digging that red C cell! It's the only one I've ever seen. Not sure why but the red ones are tougher to find than Lime Green, Std. Green, Purple, Blue, just about any other finish.
    Me too, I had never seen one before. Even no photo on the internet except for the advertisement picture of mounting clamps holding a Red 2C.
    If you want you can use my pictures for your blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Frijid View Post
    Thanks for the link, ill read it here in a few and browse through the other articles. I love maglites, even though I've talked bad about them here recently with a few that gave me problems. But there's something "holy grail" about holding a D maglite that's good for the flashaholic soul lol
    Lol, I can find a flaw in just about any light, Maglites included! I still use them every day but Mag lagged for so long in LED technology and even to this day I wish they would improve their tints and switch to an orange peel reflector. Their reflector and focusing system is awful and makes for a ton of artifacts in the beam. If you even take a stock incan and throw a glass lens and orange peel reflector in it ti's a leaps and bounds improvement!

I mainly carry a Malkoff MD1 with high/low ring and an M61N now and even that light I have some gripes about. Lol, I think the only way I'd be able to get a perfect light would be to build one from scratch or commission one!

Unenlightened

My Pre-C Mag collection. (7C is enough )

https://imgur.com/0cHGpJ6
    Last edited by din107; 04-23-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: errors

Nice collection! 7C is not easy to find, especially not in the same condition as your other C's.

Quote Originally Posted by din107 View Post
    My Pre-C Mag collection. (7C is enough )

https://imgur.com/0cHGpJ6
    SWEET collection!

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Awesome!! I've always had a soft spot for the 5Cs. I've actually found them harder to find than the 7Cs. About the same number were made and I don't think many people know how rare they are so they almost never come up for sale. I used one for about 4 months in my truck. I liked it! I just wish there were more LED options for them.

Flashaholic

Hey all. I haven't been on here for a while, but GREAT score on the red 2C. Love it. The red 2C and the 2C Vari-Beam are my "grail" lights. Maybe someday. Congrats!

JT

Been a while but I think I may have run across something new and exciting. Has anyone seen a hard anodized Mag? I have a contact that supposedly has 2 original 3Ds circa 2008 that are hard anodized by Mag, not custom. I'm thinking they were a special order for a store or something similar.

Also, I recently acquired one of my grail lights! An AA Mini Mag Vari-Beam. I've been chasing this one for a while.

I only have a few lights left I'm really after, namely an original Surefire 6 and a Kel-Lite Baton Light.

Congrats on finding the Vari-Beam! I've been searching the internet for an orange Preon P2 for a couple of years. I know what it's like to want.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Congrats on finding the Vari-Beam! I've been searching the internet for an orange Preon P2 for a couple of years. I know what it's like to want.
    Thanks! Ohh my gosh I know! At least none of these lights are too too expensive though. Sometimes even if you're trying to offer a high price to pick something up it can't be gotten. Just good old fashioned keyboard time is the only way.

One of my secrets is to save the ebay search to my favorites so I get a daily e-mail when something pops up. For instance you can search Orange Preon or even Preon P2 and then filter by used if you want. Then save the search so every day you'll get e-mail alerts for what you're looking for with the filters applied.

BTW, Being There was on TV last weekend. Haven't seen it in so long, great movie, wish someone would do a remake.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by willrx View Post
    I'll start with a 3D Mag made in March 1981. Notice "PATEN PENDING" stamped on the barrel.

What a great collection! Amazing pics!

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 252829303132333435