Klarus        
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283132333435363738
Results 1,111 to 1,132 of 1132

Thread: RARE MAGLITES

Flashaholic

Default Re: RARE MAGLITES

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Awesome! Interesting on the spring. Did you grind off the anodizing? I did on mine and it was a big pain!
    I just used a small piece of sandpaper, 220 grit I think, and sanded the ano off in the base of the cap where the spring sits down in, and then checked it with a volt meter to make sure I had good electrical contact. It really only took a few minutes.

Matt has a video on his website that shows him removing the ano with a wire brush attachment and a drill.

Flashaholic

Where have all the Maglite guys been? Everyone on vacation at the beach?

Well this isn't rare, but I thought I'd show you guys the new stainless steel bezel I just got. It was around $30, and came with a glass lens and an O-ring.

It has a bead blasted finish, but I'm thinking of putting a mirror finish on it like I did on the end cap I posted one page back. It's pretty well made and looks nice on any color of Maglite.

The black one is an aluminum one I got from Gene a while back.

Very cool! A modern day Vari-Beam! A couple of questions for ya. Is that shimmer blue or standard blue? It looks pretty light like Shimmer Blue. Also, is that a glass breaker bezel and have you tried it? I had a Bust-a-Cap tail cap a while back and it actually worked pretty well. I brought it to the local junk yard to try out. I had it on a red 2D LED but I think my brother has it now because I cant seem to find it and I remember lending it to him.

The rumor going back a while is that Maglite tried to buy Bust-a-Cap but could never settle on a price. I guess Bust-a-Cap beat them to the glass breaker/flashlight combo patent.

I have a few new very cool and very rare Mags to show but I've been so busy with work I haven;t gotten too much time to take some pics and do a write up. I'll be on vacation for the next few weekends finally but I'll prob be too lazy then.

Flashaholic

Very cool! A modern day Vari-Beam! A couple of questions for ya. Is that shimmer blue or standard blue? It looks pretty light like Shimmer Blue. Also, is that a glass breaker bezel and have you tried it? I had a Bust-a-Cap tail cap a while back and it actually worked pretty well. I brought it to the local junk yard to try out. I had it on a red 2D LED but I think my brother has it now because I cant seem to find it and I remember lending it to him.
    Yes, that is a Shimmer Blue 2D. I think the seller called it Ice Blue, but I'm sure your name is the correct one. It's definitely way lighter than all of my other blue Mags.

The bezel wasn't really advertised as a glass breaker, but it does have some sharp corners. It would be a skin breaker if you dropped it on your foot. I'd suppose that you could hit a car window with any part of a Maglite and break it, even with a stock bezel.

I do have one of those end caps you're talking about. I haven't had the opportunity to try it, but also thought of taking it to the junkyard to have some fun.

I have another silver Mag coming in the mail. Thinking of polishing up another end cap, and maybe the head. Then I'm on the hunt for a smooth Nascar tube / Maglite to polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Guy View Post
    Yes, that is a Shimmer Blue 2D. I think the seller called it Ice Blue, but I'm sure your name is the correct one. It's definitely way lighter than all of my other blue Mags.
    The names for the Mag finishes have been soooo inconsistent. Ice Blue may be right. I think maybe Crumbly posted a package a while back that said BLUE SHMR which is why I'm thinking it's Blue Shimmer. I have one 2D Blue Shimmer but it's in rough shape. I got it as part of a lot I bought.

Here's another light I recently came across that I've never seen before. Well, err not so much the light as I have a few of these but the package. It's a 1984 NIB Mini Maglite. 1984 was the first year for the Mini Maglite and up until recently I hadn't seen one NIB. I knew that in 1985 Maglite switched their logo from the rounded early one to the Horizon style logo and I've seen a bunch of 1985 on Mini Maglites NIB but never a 1984. I think these may have come in a small cardboard box as well but I've never seen one.

Shown below is the one year newer 1985 model I have and I've seen a bunch in this type of packaging.

This one was found at an estate sale so I don't know a lot about it. There's no price on it but I have heard these were around $10 when they came out or about $25 today so I'm guessing it was just purchased as a spare and never used. The ID on these early 1984 Mags is much smaller than the current AA lights and I heard that during the 90s when AA cells became larger Maglite offered a free trade in program so I'm guessing that along with the infamous alkaleak issue is why you just don't see many of them today.

The names for the Mag finishes have been soooo inconsistent. Ice Blue may be right. I think maybe Crumbly posted a package a while back that said BLUE SHMR which is why I'm thinking it's Blue Shimmer. I have one 2D Blue Shimmer but it's in rough shape. I got it as part of a lot I bought.

Here's another light I recently came across that I've never seen before. Well, err not so much the light as I have a few of these but the package. It's a 1984 NIB Mini Maglite. 1984 was the first year for the Mini Maglite and up until recently I hadn't seen one NIB. I knew that in 1985 Maglite switched their logo from the rounded early one to the Horizon style logo and I've seen a bunch of 1985 on Mini Maglites NIB but never a 1984. I think these may have come in a small cardboard box as well but I've never seen one.

Shown below is the one year newer 1985 model I have and I've seen a bunch in this type of packaging.

This one was found at an estate sale so I don't know a lot about it. There's no price on it but I have heard these were around $10 when they came out or about $25 today so I'm guessing it was just purchased as a spare and never used. The ID on these early 1984 Mags is much smaller than the current AA lights and I heard that during the 90s when AA cells became larger Maglite offered a free trade in program so I'm guessing that along with the infamous alkaleak issue is why you just don't see many of them today.
    Had to change the way the engraving was done on the head of the flashlight, this is a rare one for sure. About the mid 1990's an agency was hired to tweak the brand logos and consistency across the product line. Great pics.

[QUOTE=Guitar Guy;5324501]Dang, I forgot about the Vari being the larger pre letter size. Did they even make the early Maglites in silver? I have a red one. Would be hard to find I'm sure. You may have to try the Drano on a black one. I think it will work, but I read that you can't leave it in too long or it will eat too far into the aluminum. If you can get the black out of the grooves, you could put a shotgun cleaning mop on a rod into a drill and polish it with the alum. polish.

Tiffany Company and Maglite did a Sterling Silver Solitaire back in the day...very hard to find, heavy as well but it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by CALight View Post
    Tiffany Company and Maglite did a Sterling Silver Solitaire back in the day...very hard to find, heavy as well but it looks good.
    Hey, thanks for the info and welcome to the forum!! I think I've seen that light before. There was one hanging around eBay UK for a while and the seller wanted $300+ for it. If I remember correctly there weren't any logos or anything on it but it looked very professionally done. I couldn't figure out what it was and I passed. It was so long ago I can't even find it by searching the completed listings. Do you have any more info on them? Any chance you have a pic?

Thanks for the welcome! The Tiffany Solitaire came with no engraving and it was a non-knurled barrel. Packaged in the Tiffany blue box in their "blue" leather baggie. I will check the archive I remember seeing a photo of one. These are a little more rare to find than the gold plated Mini Maglites (not anodized gold color, but gold). Always like seeing unique MAG's.

Flashaholic

Welcome, CALight. It's always good to have another person who knows and appreciates Maglites.

If you've looked through this thread, you've seen that there are some amazing collections and amazing Maglites, including some very rare ones. I'm still at a lower level, but have acquired some nice C and D Mags over the last couple of years. Good luck.

Long live the Maglite ........

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Guy View Post
    Welcome, CALight. It's always good to have another person who knows and appreciates Maglites.

If you've looked through this thread, you've seen that there are some amazing collections and amazing Maglites, including some very rare ones. I'm still at a lower level, but have acquired some nice C and D Mags over the last couple of years. Good luck.

Long live the Maglite ........
    There aren't many of us so I'd say you're in the top 10 for sure!

I'm not a Mag collector nor will I ever be. However, I very much enjoy the collections of those of you that are. Thanks, guys!
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I'm not a Mag collector nor will I ever be. However, I very much enjoy the collections of those of you that are. Thanks, guys!
    Ohh come on, you know you want to. Why don't you try just one??????

Default RARE MAGLITES

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nbp; 09-01-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Selling is for another subforum. ;)
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Ohh come on, you know you want to. Why don't you try just one??????
    That's what got me into trouble with The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner over this situation...... and those are just the pretty ones.

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic

That's what got me into trouble with The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner over this situation...... and those are just the pretty ones.

Cool photo, but I thought you've posted Maglites on here before too. If not, you need 1 or 2 or 10.

CG posting Maglites would be like PK bragging about his new Elzetta. Or a French chef serving the entre'with ketchup.

ie, not likely.

He has like the worlds best four sevens collection going. Now Mrs CG may secretly have a Maglite under the seat of her car though……
    John 3:16

Thanks guys. Indeed long live Maglite. I am partial to the brand. But love all lights equally

Both Guitar Guy and bykfixer are correct.

Presenting The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner's modified Mags. -

Both Guitar Guy and bykfixer are correct.

Presenting The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner's modified Mags. -
    Hi Chance, how are they modidied?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Hi Chance, how are they modidied?

Bill

Howdy Bill, They're both triples. The mini Mag was massaged by kyfishguy. I'm the second owner and after 3.5 beers I don't remember the details.

Matt did all the mods on the Big Fella.

The red Micro Mag is loaded with XP-G3 S5 3C emitters, a narrow frosted optic, has four levels from about a lumen up to 2000 on a high drain 14500.
    But February made me shiver
    with every paper I delivered.

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283132333435363738