Angryfox        
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293233343536373839
Results 1,141 to 1,158 of 1158

Thread: RARE MAGLITES

Default Re: RARE MAGLITES

Got one with a bit over 6 minutes left.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-01-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

That 40th Anniversary looks pretty cool, but dang, that's a lotta $.

I like the smooth barrel. I see the black lettering on the bezel too. I can't quite tell if the lettering is painted on ... or what. Maybe silkscreened?

I probably won't spring for one at that price. I tend to like the older Mags.

It shipped today so I'll post some pix when it arrives.

Yeah, it was pretty pricey. But the voices that talked me into working some OT last week said it would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    It shipped today so I'll post some pix when it arrives.

Yeah, it was pretty pricey. But the voices that talked me into working some OT last week said it would be ok.
    It's not always about what we need. Sometimes it's just about what we want. Congratulations.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Yeah, it was flashlight that will probably live in a box inside a safe but……

If the enviro nazis are wrong and we make it past the next dozen years my kids can sell it on eBay when I'm under the grass.

40th Anniverssary light arrived.

The logo appears to be screenprint.
    No texture feel like laser etched, yet not texture feel like screen print either. Really thin application of something on the raw alluminum tube.

Same thing on the bezel ring.
    Note the smaller font and California is spelled out. No USA either. Chamfer on the 40th bezel ring is rounder too.

Also note bolded "Mag" and non bolded "Lite" and no "LED on the bezel ring.

Nothing special serial number was no surprise.
    Maglite seems to keep production numbers to themselves unless you know how to find out from inside.

The barrel is as smooth as a baby's bottom though.
    This one is a true collectors piece. It seems to be the price is meant to keep demand low.

To me the surprise was the generic box.
    I was half expecting the box to be part of the charm. But then again a 100th anniverssary Marines Targus 1911 came in a plain brown box, so what the heck.

After evaluating it a few ticks and snapping a few photos I put it back in the box, then shipping carton and put it away for safe keeping. So if I'm ever robbed the klepto would not know there's anything special about the container. It felt lighter than the production version. Aside from being smooth and the different writing on the bezel ring it appears to be an ordinary ML300. The barrel is not heavily polished but not unfinished either.

Anyway it may end up there's a whole bunch of these around. If they end up on the clearance rack I'll grab another one for display purposes.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-09-2019 at 03:19 PM.

With no knurling and high gloss finish, this would be tough to put to any real use...shelf queen?
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

I suppose it could be as useable as some of those super shiney jewelry lights, but it seems to be a dedicated collector piece.

Looks good! I would think that they won't sell many of these and they will be hard to find in a few years - definitely a collectible.

BTW I was thinking that a 4D ML300 would be more appropriate for the 40th anniversary?

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    BTW I was thinking that a 4D ML300 would be more appropriate for the 40th anniversary?

Yes!

I thought same double x

Flashaholic

That 40th Anny. looks cool, byk.

I'm still curious about the logo. I wonder if anodizing can be formed into letters / logos ... the way you said how thin it seems to be. Maybe there's a way to apply it the way paint is silkscreened, to anodize the logo into the aluminum. That would be really cool, and more durable than paint, but I'm really just speculating. Nice light tho.

I did not dare do a fingernail test.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I did not dare do a fingernail test.
    Haha, I don't blame you!

I'm sure we'll find out in a less destructive manner. Since you're a proud new owner, an email or call to headquarters could get that answer. They're pretty helpful. Or maybe Lifted will get one and do a page on his blog, and find out. Or ... maybe I'm the only one who gives a hoot.

My brother in law and I inherited one of 200 ever made Remmington 1898 model NRA edition rifles. They arrived in a plain cardboard box. I took mine out of the box and carefully looked it over then wrapped it in a bed sheet before putting it back in the box.
    My brother in law cocked his and pulled the trigger. "Click". I asked "what are you doing man?" He replied "what good is it if you don't use it?"
    An hour later he was blasting away at targets with his. Me, I stashed mine same as the 40th Maglite. If I had to use the 1898 and Maglite to feed my family or protect them from harm I would in a New York minute. But if all goes normal I have other options.
    Perhaps some day I'll reach out to Ester (spelling?) at Maglite. She is the one who has actually called me to say "we're out of item X, would you prefer a refund or pick another item?" at times. Or perhaps the 40th will show up in clearance at some point and I'll do like my brother in law and obtain a user.

I speculate the original Maglite best seller was a 3D number. Back in the day my pop had one and if memory serves lots of my neighbors dads had those too. I always preferred a 2D but the 3 was brighter without being much larger. I also speculate the ML300 in 3 cell is the best seller. Which may be why the 40th was a 3 cell ML300.

Very cool 40th anniversary light!! I must have missed my Maglite e-mail about them and din;t get a chance to score one. Was it on Mag's website? I'm sure one will pop up on good ole eBay sooner or later and I'll snag it then. Thanks for sharing!!

EDIT: I see that they're still up for those interested. I just picked one up.

https://new.maglite.com/products/40t...-ml300l-4d-led

I discovered the countdown clock resets every time you open the email.

Dratz. Still, at that price they probably won't sell very many.

Like most other Maglites they probably won't be worth a fortune but probably will be hard to find in a few years. Maglite also currently has 20% off. Just enter MAGLITE20 in the discount code section when checking out. I plan to post some pics with the 1979 3D I have when it arrives. Thanks Mr. Fixer!

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293233343536373839