Question for VW car owners.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm in the market for a new car. The Jetta looks like it would be a good fit. (A little bigger than my old car, more safety features, more power).

But according to Consumer Reports, the cars need quite a bit more upkeep & maintenance after two years than some cars need after several years.

For those who own VW cars in general, and Jettas specifically, have you had to invest a good chunk of change to keep your VW running reliably?

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uhm... I am on my second VW.. Had a 2001 Passat 3B with the 1.8l Turbo
engine.. The engine itself was Okay, But it had leaky seals and some other
minor things to fix later in life. You HAVE to keep up on changing the fluids
in the trannys and engine. If you dont, you will have problems. My current
car is a 2006 Golf Turbodiesel that has been upgraded up the yingyang
with a larger (Much Larger) turbo, race suspension and much much more..
I still get 35-40Mpg average. But the maintinence goes up quite a bit.
I Love my VW's.. But they need some T.L.C. to keep them running like
kittens. The newer models have better track records for repairs because
VW gets better at it as time progresses. All of the newer models are on the
same Platform. Jetta, Rabbit, Eos, Passat.. Same vehicles, just diff sizes
and layouts. The same is true with the previous models except the passat
was the same platform as the Audi A4/A6..

If you really want to talk more about this, shoot me a PM :grin2:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm an ex-owner. Hopefully things are now better, but my '85 Jetta GLI became a serious junk box. It always was fun to drive, the engine and tranny was fine, but it developed many other troubles. Catalytic converter, window motors, radio, disc rotors, water pump, paint, headliner, and probably others I've forgotten. Some things were to be expected, but I never felt I could trust it.

I'm sure they're better now, but I've still got a sour taste in my mouth. I'd say heed the reviews and professional recommendations. I might someday give them another chance, but not yet.

Geoff

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned quite a few watercooled VWs. They're known by their chassis designations: A1, A2, A3, A4, and, the current model, A5 (not to be confused with the Audi cars that are called A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, etc). The A1 chassis debut back in 1975 or so and was replaced with the A2 chassis back in 1985. The A3 chassis replaced the A2 chassis in 1993, I think. The A4 chassis made its appearance in the VW New Beetle in 1998, I believe, then the Jetta and Golf were redesigned in 1999 on the A4 chassis. The A5 chassis was introduced in 2005 as the current model Jetta. As you can see, each chassis designation can have several car models made on it. The A1 had the original Rabbit, Scirocco I and Scirocco II, Jetta, Cabriolet, and the Caddy (pickup). The A2 had the first Golf, slightly more round Jetta II, and the Corrado. The A3 had the Golf, Jetta III, and restyled Cabriolet. The A4 had the New Beetle, Jetta, and Golf. The A5 has the Jetta, new Rabbit, Eos, Tiguan, and GTI. I believe that the Passat is still designated a B6 or B7 chassis.

Quality and reliability have improved with each new chassis and so has standard equipment. The first few years of any new chassis or model will always have problems but the later year cars seem to improve on these as they figure out how to make the cars better with experience. Having said that, the A4 cars seem to have suffered from the most complaints about quality and reliability for some reason. Fortunately for me, that is the one chassis I have not owned, though I have driven a few.

My current car is a 2006 Jetta GLI. It's been a wonderful car so far. The only problem I have had with it was an airbag light coming on that the dealer fixed. Other than that the ignition switch sometimes does not read the security chip in my key so the car doesn't start but I just need to remember to push the key up as I turn it to start the engine. I really need to bring it back to the dealer to have them look at that but the car has been absolutely a blast to drive so I've not had any thoughts about bringing it in.

My '98 Jetta TDI had 167,000 miles on it and it was going strong before I wrecked it on a rainy day. Had I not crashed that car I would probably still be driving it now.

I'm sure that, with the current model being relatively new to the market (the oldest examples being about 5 years old, now) that we're hearing about problems with the previous generation cars. I've belonged to a few forums for the Mk V VWs and VWs in general and they don't seem to have a whole lot of problems that the owner didn't cause in the first place and forums are typically places where you hear about the problems, not the "My car has XX,XXX problem free miles and I love it" type of posts.

Sabrewolf, are you a member of Fred's TDI Club? I am member 67 over there, though I have not posted there in years. I was a moderator there for a few years but couldn't dedicate the time needed to do an effective job of it so I gave it up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the responses guys.

Doesn't look like the Jetta is the right car for me. :sigh:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What other cars are you looking at?

I recently took the Nissan Altima off my list due to finding out that the CVT gets confused, if you drive a certain way (Which happens to be how I drive). The Mazda 6 also isn't looking good, as it seems to have been turned into a not-so-fun mainstream family sedan. Considering the weight of the car, the 4-cylinder version is even blander. (But the V6 version is still a possible purchase).

The other three I'm seriously looking at is The Dodge Magnum / Charger, and the Mitsu Galant.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting choice in cars.

What was it about the VW that took it off your list, if you don't mind my asking?

Cars are a very personal thing when you can pick and choose it (not like borrowing your parent's car or having your parents give you their old car).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Interesting choice in cars.

What was it about the VW that took it off your list, if you don't mind my asking?

Cars are a very personal thing when you can pick and choose it (not like borrowing your parent's car or having your parents give you their old car).

VW cars have a reputation for needing a lot of care to keep them running reliably. Quite a bit more care than other brands. Sadly, the replies I got above indicate that the reputation is spot-on.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a Mazda 3. They can run maintenance-free for years - I know, because I own one (hatchback version, it's the only one they sell here).
Or if you want minimum maintenance you could get a Toyota. I hear amazing things about their reliability, although their looks aren't really anything to write home about.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
VW cars have a reputation for needing a lot of care to keep them running reliably. Quite a bit more care than other brands. Sadly, the replies I got above indicate that the reputation is spot-on.
Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe I've been lucky with my recent cars but the last two, which were bought new, have been absolutely reliable. The first one had a leaking seal on the engine that was covered by the dealer but that was it. It never went back to the dealer after the first few free oil changes. I did all of the maintenance on that car myself. The only times I tinkered with it to fix a problem was when I caused the problem to begin with. It had 167,000 miles on it when I crashed it. My current car has only been to the dealer's once for the airbag light and has not been back since. Again, I handle the maintenance on that car. It has 37,000 miles on it now. One of my brothers has a Mk IV Jetta that has had all kinds of weird electrical problems. I did mention that the Mk IV cars tended to be problemattic but the current ones seem to be much better.

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned quite a few watercooled VWs. They're known by their chassis designations: A1, A2, A3, A4, and, the current model, A5 (not to be confused with the Audi cars that are called A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, etc). The A1 chassis debut back in 1975 or so and was replaced with the A2 chassis back in 1985. The A3 chassis replaced the A2 chassis in 1993, I think. The A4 chassis made its appearance in the VW New Beetle in 1998, I believe, then the Jetta and Golf were redesigned in 1999 on the A4 chassis. The A5 chassis was introduced in 2005 as the current model Jetta. As you can see, each chassis designation can have several car models made on it. The A1 had the original Rabbit, Scirocco I and Scirocco II, Jetta, Cabriolet, and the Caddy (pickup). The A2 had the first Golf, slightly more round Jetta II, and the Corrado. The A3 had the Golf, Jetta III, and restyled Cabriolet. The A4 had the New Beetle, Jetta, and Golf. The A5 has the Jetta, new Rabbit, Eos, Tiguan, and GTI. I believe that the Passat is still designated a B6 or B7 chassis.

Quality and reliability have improved with each new chassis and so has standard equipment. The first few years of any new chassis or model will always have problems but the later year cars seem to improve on these as they figure out how to make the cars better with experience. Having said that, the A4 cars seem to have suffered from the most complaints about quality and reliability for some reason. Fortunately for me, that is the one chassis I have not owned, though I have driven a few.

My current car is a 2006 Jetta GLI. It's been a wonderful car so far. The only problem I have had with it was an airbag light coming on that the dealer fixed. Other than that the ignition switch sometimes does not read the security chip in my key so the car doesn't start but I just need to remember to push the key up as I turn it to start the engine. I really need to bring it back to the dealer to have them look at that but the car has been absolutely a blast to drive so I've not had any thoughts about bringing it in.

My '98 Jetta TDI had 167,000 miles on it and it was going strong before I wrecked it on a rainy day. Had I not crashed that car I would probably still be driving it now.

I'm sure that, with the current model being relatively new to the market (the oldest examples being about 5 years old, now) that we're hearing about problems with the previous generation cars. I've belonged to a few forums for the Mk V VWs and VWs in general and they don't seem to have a whole lot of problems that the owner didn't cause in the first place and forums are typically places where you hear about the problems, not the "My car has XX,XXX problem free miles and I love it" type of posts.

Sabrewolf, are you a member of Fred's TDI Club? I am member 67 over there, though I have not posted there in years. I was a moderator there for a few years but couldn't dedicate the time needed to do an effective job of it so I gave it up.

Yes, I have the Same name over there. But i havent posted
since last year due to waaay to many kids on the site that i dealt with.
Its not Nearly as bad as the Kiddies at VWVortex, but it comes close.
I was trying to get some Led Foglights going there for sale. But most
did not want to pay for anything worthwhile. They just wanted to nickel
and dime me, Except for a few choice members.
I got the First Prototype Turbo through Rocketchip Jeff from Garrett Turbo.
Hit me with a PM if ya wanna talk cars.. I have Lots of stories...and Upgrades.........:whistle:

bltkmt

Enlightened
I have owned a few...a 1985 GTI that I drove into the ground (135k miles) and a 2001.5 Passat that I sold with about 70k miles on it. Both were pretty solid, although they do cost more to maintain. I currently have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and love it, so don't really miss my VW. The comment about Toyota reliability is spot-on in my experience.

22hornet

Enlightened
If you do not want any surprises, get a Toyota or a Honda.
Reliability is just amazing and they last forever.
Whenever one thinks that European cars have finally caught up with the Japanese, new "horror-stories" spring up to prove the opposite.

Supposedly "better" brands get their share of reliability issues as well. The absolute "worst" car I 've ever come across was a business relative's Mercedes CLS55AMG: the car was an absolute dream to drive (think of a modern age Dodge Challenger) but reliability was worse than an old Lada (no kidding) and after four years rust had destroyed the chassis to such an extend that the car was considered a wreck.

Buy a Prius and never look back.:twothumbs

Kind regards,
Joris

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supposedly "better" brands get their share of reliability issues as well. The absolute "worst" car I 've ever come across was a business relative's Mercedes CLS55AMG: the car was an absolute dream to drive (think of a modern age Dodge Challenger) but reliability was worse than an old Lada (no kidding) and after four years rust had destroyed the chassis to such an extend that the car was considered a wreck.

Kind regards,
Joris
I had a coworker who was given a Mercedes 300E as a graduation preset from her parents after graduating from college. After working for a few years she decided to trade it in for the newest version of the same car, the 320E. She hated it. It was not as well built as her old car and it made a few unplanned trips back to the dealer to fix things. Her old car was absolutely reliable. What was the difference? Chrysler! Her 300E was pre-Chrysler and the 320E was during the Chrysler influence.

VW seemlingly has gone through a similar transformation but the influence seems to come from Audi, which I believe to be a step in the right direction.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had several VWs over the past several decades. I currently drive a gasser '98 Jetta automatic but am right on the edge of buying a '09 TDI (diesel) 6 speed manual. I'm over on TDI club site as well. Typically some good info, some comedians.

My '95 5 speed manual just rotted away---body went to Hades and I've gotten too danged lazy to crawl under it and rivet or weld sheet metal. My
'98 is getting similar problems. Both cars have had some repairs which, as I understand, generally don't happen with the Toyotas or Hondas. I've looked at the Corolla, the Civic (gas and hybrid) and the Mazda 3---all in the same class as the Jetta in my book although all cheaper. The Civic and the
Mazda 3 were the most fun to drive (though I do not like the turn on, turn off engine of the hybrid) but neither one of them has a trunk large enough for anything other than a roll of toilet paper--I have to use my cars as cars and not think of buying an accessory trailer to haul around snowshoes, hiking equipment, shovel and salt in case I get stuck and FLASHLIGHTS(!). The Corolla probably the best economic deal--best price and mileage combination but, the Jetta by a long shot the most solid and, with the diesel engine, a good mileage performer despite the premium price for the diesel fuel.

Karl

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for ease of maintenance In general I would avoid any front wheel drive car with a V6. Like others said honda or toyota. The newer accords are pretty nice, the four cylinder of course.