Burnt E2e KL1 -- RESTORATION COMPLETED!!!!!

skillet

Enlightened
RESTORATION COMPLETE!!! SEE POST #84

MORE PHOTOS ADDED - POST #36 - I FOUND THE OTHER BATTERY AND THE REST OF THE KL1

11/29/09 *******PUT BACK INTO DUTY!!! SEE POST 123 --- 11/29/09

Yes, you read correctly. E2e w/KL1 FIRE!!!

But NOT exploding batteries...

Let me see if I can tell the whole story...

Two days before Christmas, my youngest teenage son comes in and tells me he has lost his flashlight. The light he has lost, is the E2e w/KL1 head I had given him for Christmas the previous year. Two days short of having it a year. Well, he retraced all his steps and searched pretty hard for it even going so far as to riding the lawn mower around looking on the side of the road where he had walked to a friends. We called all the places he had visited that day, you know, all we could do and no luck. Well, I didn't grieve over it or even reprimand him(Don't judge me, you hypocrite. You get attached to the stupid lights as well). It was his light. I gave up my "relationship" with it when I gave it to him on Christmas '06. I thought it might turn up wet and muddy or someone would find a great light they would never be able to get batteries for because the hole at the tailcap was to little or they just wouldn't know what they were..

Fast forward to Saturday night....

My son runs into a cousin of his at Walmart and he tells him he thinks they found his light at my uncles garage where Nathan works from time to time. We go down there tonight after church and out back in a pile of ashes, is what you see before you..

So what had happened... Friday my uncle was welding some metal over head for a new lift he had installed and some sparks caught a box on fire. They rushed the box out the back door and just let it burn... The next morning, what should be laying in the gravel but the sad remains you see before you. My son had been there two days before Christmas just to say hello, but had not worked. He had climbed and retrieved something for my uncle, and it would seem that that is when the light was dropped or fell from his pants pocket into a box of junk of other used smaller boxes from around the garage and this was the box set on fire Friday when they were welding.. They just packed it outside, they didn't know anything of value was in it.. :(

The ring you see is all that is left of the KL1 head, you can identify the body, tailcap parts and the only battery that was left. We scoured the ashes for any other remains of the head, but found none. I thought for sure there would be more parts but there are not...

And here it is.. Some of the saddest photos I have ever had the privelege of taking: (And I know how much you flashaholics like pics)

PS: You think Surefire can fix that KL1 head :crackup:

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

Last edited:

madi05

Enlightened
Re: Burnt E2e KL1 -> FIRE!!!!!!!! MUST SEE THIS

wow im glad no one was hurt,, u know he may can get an insurance claim on that

madi05

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

WTS/WTT...burnt E2e; Body only:crackup:...I bet if ya gave that thing a bath and put a new head on it, you could get it to work...great story by the way! I guess that A/C grade aluminum SF uses is worth the extra cash. Good story, and thanks for sharing!

The Alliance

Newly Enlightened

Bury it and put in a little headstone for it.

Still, was the box cardboard? Not sure why they would just let it burn.

skillet

Enlightened

It had fell into a box of "junk" sitting around the garage when he retrieved something for my uncle the day he was down there before Christmas.. He wasn't there over thirty minutes.. He looked around where he had sat... It was just one of those things.. You would have never looked for it there in that box in the floor for a hundred years...

He misses his light and was so excited when his cousin told him they had found it.. He thought he would have a great story for Surefire... If had it had only come on... :crackup:

Gordon

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened

Wow.... thats all I can really say is wow, any ideas what the hunk of molten something that was stuck to the bottom of the light was?
My guess would be that that is the TIR and the elecronic components all melted together and solidified but thats just a guess

Flashlight Enthusiast

OUCH!! Send surefire an email with the pics see what they say. I think it was youfoundnemo who purposely threw his surefire in the air and they replaced it.

Burgess

Flashaholic

Well, they don't call 'em SureFire for nothin' !

:whistle:
_

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast

... youfoundnemo who purposely threw his surefire in the air and they replaced it.

What? Did it never come down? What happened here?
Call surefire and tell them the story and they will doubtless want you to send it to them for repair-replacement. You'll get a whole new light.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

OUCH!! Send surefire an email with the pics see what they say. I think it was youfoundnemo who purposely threw his surefire in the air and they replaced it.
It was his step brother that did that (throwing it in the air).

Jackal112203

Newly Enlightened

Those pics hurt!:mecry: Thanks for sharing, so if the body survived (somewhat) where is the KL1 head? Isn't that made of Al as well?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats worth sending in to surefire....

"the few things that can actually destroy a surefire...."

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was his step brother that did that (throwing it in the air).

Thx couldn't find the thread on it, thanks for clearing it up for me.

Flea Bag

Enlightened

Thanks for the pictures! Amazing the head just melted. I would have thought only the electronics/battery/lens would. :eek:oo:

I must say that the way the head is gone and yet the rest of the body looks quite in shape is quite unusual. Could it be that the CR123 in the light overheated from the fire and exploded? Then perhaps the build-up of pressure made the head pop and fly off to some unknown place? ... Or maybe a combination of the head melting and then flying off...

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened

Wow,i don't know what kind of aluminum SF uses on their bodies.
Judging from the looks of the cap and the head area there was an explosion (gas venting) of some sort from the batteries but i find it amazing the body and tailcap didn't melt.
I would of thought the only thing left would be the steel clip.

mdocod

Flashaholic

the batteries may have exploded from the heat and sent the head into the stratosphere.

Eric

skillet

Enlightened

I hadn't thought about the missing battery exploding and sending the head flying... I'll look this afternoon for some more pieces...

jonesy

Enlightened

That'll buff right out.