When You Want Long Runtime...

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I have always chose the brightest light over all others until now. runtime is becoming important and I was wondering what you use for long battery time. I'm talking 40 hours or more. When you want long time in an edc, what do you reach for?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm going out for a long time I'm bringing 3-4 lights with me with spare batteries. The only time I'd need a long 10+ hour run time is in a power outage at night (it happens) in which case I have many many options. If I turned each of my lights on until it died and then turned the next one on and so on I'd have light for a good 6 months (with batteries) just in case the sun doesn't come up for half a year.

My go-to long run time light is my Fulton Anglehead 2D with the SMJLED pr2 module.

cree_buyer

Newly Enlightened
2-D mag with a nite-ize LED PR style base. I dont know if it lasts 40 hours, but its gotta be close.

affirmative +1

see this thread
- post #44 shows a 3D m_glite doing 90+ hours, very well regulated on alkalines...
smiley-shocked030.gif

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
There are a number of multi-stage lights that will give you phenomenally long runtimes on low. According to Chevrofreak's runtime graphs, a Fenix P3D will run for more than 3 days on its lowest setting (~5 lumens). McGizmo's McLux III PD will go for ~30 hours on low. A Novatac or RaLight can run for a week or more. All of them are relatively small lights; all except for the P3D use a single CR123. Nitecore's EX10 or D10 could fit the bill (in a AA form factor, even). There are actually a pretty large number of lights that would fit the bill; it's a great time to be a flashaholic!

For what it's worth, the McLux III PD would be my first choice because of its robust and simple design (though it's definitely an expensive piece of equipment). Fenix lights are great flashlights and would run a close second; the P3D (or its smaller brother the P2D) would probably be my second choice. That said, you really can't go wrong with any of these lights. They're all well made and should serve you well!

Happy hunting, and let us know what you choose!

- FITP

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only long runtime EDC light that I have is my Olight T-10. It specs at 6 lumens for 50 hours on its lowest setting. Around the house or when I;m car camping I use my Magled 4d. It's suppose to run for 43:20 hours till 50% output. That is at about 40 to 50 lumens.

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
The Jetbeams will run over 40 hours on the lowest level. I would assume that most lights that have a low low will do the same.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've always appreciated a light that offers reasonable brightness plus a long runtime low level. The Photon Proton Pro gives both, a white Cree that ramps from high to low plus a small red LED that ramps from low to high. Runs on 1AA. If you like using a CR123 battery the LiteFlux LF3XT is my latest favorite. Any level from very low to 120 lumens is there at your programmable choice of priority. Both these lights also have flashing and SOS modes if you want them, but you are never forced to cycle through these modes if not necessary. Both lights will easily reach 40 hours on low levels. The Pro can be had for around $50, the LF3XT for about $60.

Geoff

Edit: One more choice from my personal experience is the rechargeable Photon Rex. Days of runtime on low and a high, but short run, of maybe around 20-30 lumens. All levels in between plus blinkie modes. Around $20.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, I grab my SureFire E1B in power outage situations. It's 5 lumen low runs for 37 hours and I can switch to the high with a click if I suddenly need a bunch of light. My fiancée will usually use our NiteCore EX10 with its 3 lumen low that runs for 65 hours. Although, she usually uses the EX10 just a bit above the lowest during power outages.

-Robert

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I had a chuckle over Carbine15's 3-4 lights.. that is me too. I am not familiar with some of the lights you guys have mentioned like the Fulton anglehead, modified 2-d mag with nite-ize led, McLux III PD. I have seen Olights before, and I have two (ok, three) SF's that run great. A NightCore NDI is new to me too. Jetbeams are well thought of. Photon Proton Pro's are new to me too. I will look them all up. I have a P3D and it is a good light that needs a lifetime warranty to be great.

I have a 2-C maglight on my nightstand just in case we need to brain somebody sometime. But carry it as an edc? I got a E2DL for that need..

You have forced me to think it thru some more.. I want a edc running on one battery either single (r)cr123a or a AA or 14500. I like low modes, it's just that I will usually click up to the higher modes and endup killing the battery too soon. So it's gotta be a single mode.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
A Fenix PD20 is spec'd to run 35 hours at it's lowest setting on a single CR123. Plus I always have access to 2 more fairly fresh batteries safely stowed in an Inova X5.

CARNAL1

Newly Enlightened
In a power outage situation I could use any number of my single cell lights. My EDC Fenix P2D Q5 is rated at 30 hours on low. My SF E1B is rated at 37 hours on low. My SF E1L is rated at 48 hours on low. But, the longest running light I have, would have to be my
Pak-Lite Super which is rated at 1200 hours on low with an Ultralife 9V battery. Even at half of that rating 600 hours would be the clear winner. It is great to have so many choices.

H.D.T. = Happy Dark Trails

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My LF3XT is set up to come on at a very low level. I click on, then click off. No other levels will be seen, unless I do more clicking. It can also be set up to have just one mode available, at whatever level you want. Technically, a high is just a press away, but you could almost call it a one mode light with proper programming, and no ramping required.

Geoff

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

bretti_kivi

Enlightened
one of the reasons I want another lantern is so I can leave this one; it's running 20mA or so with 4 x 2700mah batteries... I make that around 300 hours or so. I think that's "enough".
When I mod one, it will be with a D2Flex so that there's also only a max of 700ma and normally a lot less than that.

My own lights? I'm thinking a P7 with aspheric for throw and a quad / quin Q5 for runtime on low, especially if I put a switch in to disable a second shark. The Mag 2AAs will be for fun and running K2s at 350-700-1A :) - that should be able to do very long runtimes of 10s of hours on low and that's what's important for me. Bright when you need it, most of the time reasonable and run time as a result.

Bret