Petzl Myo Xp mod?

todd92371

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have been reading about upgrading this light. Couple of questions? How do I know if I have the older Myo XP without the newest LED? Do you have any suggestions as to which LED to buy?

Thank you!!!!!
todd

tnuckels

Enlightened
As to your second post:

The main picture in the DX listing shows a "true" (yes, apparently there are fakes out there for just about anything you can imagine) SSC P4 mounted (off center?) to a 3d party star. Subsequent pictures show a P4 mounted to a "real" SSC star, but when you mouse over them the enlargements show the ugly star again.

So, which star are they gonna' ship you? Probably the ugly one.

There is a note toward the bottom of the DX listing prompted by CPF complaints about mis-mounted emitters being damaged when connected to power sources. Here are pictures of the DX SSC P4 mounted to a star. And here is a close-up of some real SSC P4 Stars.

SSC most probably chose an aluminum alloy with the best heat dissipation properties, bonded it permanently to the thin electrical trace layer, and tests their manufacturing process rigorously. Did DX or its star suppliers do their homework as thoroughly?

So, whose star are you gonna' trust in your nice headlamp?

Don't get me wrong, I've not had a problem buying from DX or the quality of what they sell, and their P4 star is inexpensive and will most probably work. However, my expectations when buying from DX are tempered by the fact that most often you get what you pay for.

Do yourself a favor this time round and buy a real SSC P4 star. After all, you like your headlight well enough to upgrade it … start the process by buying a quality star.

Hello,
I have been reading about upgrading this light. Couple of questions? How do I know if I have the older Myo XP without the newest LED? Do you have any suggestions as to which LED to buy?

Thank you!!!!!
todd

Hey I have the myo xp too. Can you post your mod and pm me? Also can u post where you bought the new led?

Thanks

todd92371

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice! Where do you suggest buying a good sample of the SSC p4 star?

todd

gillestugan

Enlightened
Im happy with the U-bin SSC P4s I've bought from DX. There are no subjective difference in brightness compared to a XR-E Q5 and with much more uniform beam then the crees. Maybe I was lucky...
But of course: you never really know what you get from DX or KD.

tnuckels

Enlightened
Fred, AKA Photon Fanatic, has the good stuff. Maybe you and problemchild200 could split the $20+ minimum order, though if this is you first mod, having a spare on hand is comforting and sometimes necessary. Remember, try not to touch the "gummy" LED dome too much (or at all) to prevent accumulation of dirt and dust and you can probably re-use the thermal paste from the backside of your original star.

I don't own the MYO XP (though my MYO RXP should be here any minute) so I'm not quite sure of the progression of LEDs used in the headlamp. The "U2"s are quite recent though, so if your light has any age on it this is certain to be an upgrade, just not sure how much.

Half-watt (see his sticky at the top of the headlamp forum) might be a good source on which LEDs were used when, or contact PETZL directly.

There are also some good step by step guides in the headlamp forum on this upgrade. I'm just too lazy right now to look them up for you. Scroll to the bottom of the forum and enter you search terms in the Search This Forum box.

Good Luck and happy modding!

I just looked at mine and I do have the rxp model. Can I mod it to a p7 ;) ?

Fred, AKA Photon Fanatic, has the good stuff. Maybe you and problemchild200 could split the $20+ minimum order, though if this is you first mod, having a spare on hand is comforting and sometimes necessary. Remember, try not to touch the "gummy" LED dome too much (or at all) to prevent accumulation of dirt and dust and you can probably re-use the thermal paste from the backside of your original star.

I don't own the MYO XP (though my MYO RXP should be here any minute) so I'm not quite sure of the progression of LEDs used in the headlamp. The "U2"s are quite recent though, so if your light has any age on it this is certain to be an upgrade, just not sure how much.

Half-watt (see his sticky at the top of the headlamp forum) might be a good source on which LEDs were used when, or contact PETZL directly.

There are also some good step by step guides in the headlamp forum on this upgrade. I'm just too lazy right now to look them up for you. Scroll to the bottom of the forum and enter you search terms in the Search This Forum box.

Good Luck and happy modding!

tnuckels

Enlightened
A P7 … totally different animal. Much bigger, more power (?), etc. … I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but this is not a simple star swap which basically entails opening the light, de-soldering two wires from the old star, re-soldering them to the new star, and closing up the light.

I think you're on your own if you try to swap to a P7, so be happy, don't worry, you've got the latest and greatest (MYO RXP) … at least for the moment.

A P7 … totally different animal. Much bigger, more power (?), etc. … I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but this is not a simple star swap which basically entails opening the light, de-soldering two wires from the old star, re-soldering them to the new star, and closing up the light.

I think you're on your own if you try to swap to a P7, so be happy, don't worry, you've got the latest and greatest (MYO RXP) … at least for the moment.

What about an MC-E ?

tnuckels

Enlightened
Problemchild200, it's not quite as simple as replacing a 40w with a 120w light bulb. LEDs are more like … like trying to replace a 40w, standard base, 120vac bulb
icon3.gif
with a 120w, bi-pin base, 12vdc bulb :poof:. (Pics are not accurate, just for demonstration purposes)

Different size, different shape, different connectors, different power requirements, and to top it all off the reflector/optic/lens designed to work with one particular LED is usually quite different from one designed for another LED. The exception to this incompatibility has been replacing an older Luxeon I or III with a new SSC P4 which is close enough in all respects to be virtually interchangeable, giving you more output for the same runtime. This is why you read about so many mods of this sort, because it's fairly easy to do.

Maybe one day LEDs will be like standard light bulbs, but till then it's better left to the pros … of which I do NOT count myself.

Problemchild200, it's not quite as simple as replacing a 40w with a 120w light bulb. LEDs are more like … like trying to replace a 40w, standard base, 120vac bulb
icon3.gif
with a 120w, bi-pin base, 12vdc bulb :poof:. (Pics are not accurate, just for demonstration purposes)

Different size, different shape, different connectors, different power requirements, and to top it all off the reflector/optic/lens designed to work with one particular LED is usually quite different from one designed for another LED. The exception to this incompatibility has been replacing an older Luxeon I or III with a new SSC P4 which is close enough in all respects to be virtually interchangeable, giving you more output for the same runtime. This is why you read about so many mods of this sort, because it's fairly easy to do.

Maybe one day LEDs will be like standard light bulbs, but till then it's better left to the pros … of which I do NOT count myself.

Thanks.....
I just ordered an h60. I will sell my myo.

CampingLED

Enlightened
Hello,

Thank you!!!!!
todd
Todd,
The blue one is the older one with Luxeon III and the grey one is the newer one with SSC P4. I upgraded both my blue Myo XP and my son's one with DX emitters with great success.

EDIT: link added how to mod: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166519

Last edited:

todd92371

Newly Enlightened
Did you notice a significant improvement in brightness after upgrading to the Seoul emitter?

Thanks. :)

todd

How does the upgrade to the old myo xp compare to the new my rxp? Is it the same brightness? If not is there a brighter led that can be installed in the myo?

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.....
I just ordered an h60. I will sell my myo.

The Myo RXP and the H60 are both nice headlamps. The Myo has a bit more flexibility with 3 of 10 selectable levels and selectable flood/throw, whereas the h60 has great flood and nice runtime.

I've done the SSC P4 mod to the Myo XP and I don't think it is quite as bright as the Myo RXP, but it was definitely an improvement over the XP. I used the DX LED but they do vary.