Using Surefire 2xPrimary lights with 17670?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Just an open question to all the smaller bodied 2xCell Surefire users.
Is anyone using them with a 17670 cell to extend run times and avoid the cost of primary cell replacement?

Are there any SF lights that run surprisingly well at lower Vin? (PS I already know about the 6P/Malkoff M30, so no need to mention it. I was mainly asking about the smaller lights... like the E2DL, E2L outdoorsman, A2...etc)

thanks in advance
:twothumbs

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an open question to all the smaller bodied 2xCell Surefire users.
Is anyone using them with a 17670 cell to extend run times and avoid the cost of primary cell replacement?

Are there any SF lights that run surprisingly well at lower Vin? (PS I already know about the 6P/Malkoff M30, so no need to mention it. I was mainly asking about the smaller lights... like the E2DL, E2L outdoorsman, A2...etc)

thanks in advance
:twothumbs
The old L4 and the L5 comes to mind. They run are at full power on a single li-ion.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire LED heads all work with 17670's in a two-cell light. Even the incan LF EO-E1R and HO-E1R work well.

The problem is that not all of the E series Surefire tubes will fit a 17670. It seems like some do and some do not.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The Surefire LED heads all work with 17670's in a two-cell light. Even the incan LF EO-E1R and HO-E1R work well.

The problem is that not all of the E series Surefire tubes will fit a 17670. It seems like some do and some do not.

How well regulated are they?
Is the diameter is too small? or is it the length? (or both?)

MavZ28

Newly Enlightened
Slightly both length and width are affected.

My old E2e worked fine with 17670. My L4 did not....but I just recently bored out the body just a very slight bit and found it works. A little scary, but anyone can do it (do a search for that).

I've found however, that the 17670 is just a very slight bit wider (again, not much...I'm talking 5 mils...or the difference of just a thick sheet of paper!) and is also just a bit shorter as well. My 17670 now has a little play in my L4 when two CR123's were quite snug with no play. Hope that helps.

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Run my E2DL on 17670 with no problems. Output is slightly less than using primaries but not major. The combination of E2DL, 17670 and the FO4 beamshaper make a very useable package.
The only problem is the current SF bodies are tight for 17670 so you will need to widen :devil: to enable the battery to fit or get an older E2D body that accepts them ok.
Some good information in the following thread in post 2 compatibility chart.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201375

Last edited: