Angryfox        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Toughest EDC Folder?

Default Re: Toughest EDC Folder?

Quote Originally Posted by knifeowningguy View Post
    I thought it was pretty clear I was exaggerating on the weight to make a point. Still, I think that's a bit more knife than is really fitting for EDC. That's all I really have to say on that.
    That's one of the difficult things about picking a best, since we all have such differing life styles and needs.
    For me it's an excellent EDC, both for size and comfort of carry, but the Sebenza is obviously a better choice for many as well and one reason why I really like to encourage people to try as many different lights/knives or whatever so that they can pick their favorite and not mine.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Crusader Forge Metro or Medford Praetorian

Sent from my* Sony Xperia™ smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
    I'll bite. Best hard use folders IMO... Kershaw Shallot for budget option, Hogue EX-01 for more expensive option. The Kershaw runs @ $60 if you shop, the Hogue @ $150. I have used both extremely hard for a long time, and neither had an issue. My Hogue is the 4" Gimascus, and has shiny spots in the handle from the use it has had, the tip has been broken twice doing really stupid things, base of the handle is slightly flat from driving it into wood with a steel hammer... and it still locks up like the day it was made.

That being said, there are times when I carry something slimmer and lighter, as tougher isn't always better. The Shallot was a bit better compromise in that way.
    This must be one of those diff'rent strokes things.

I picked up a used Shallot for cheap because of the blade length - wanted something 2.5" or less so I could have something to carry on days when I thought i might have to go in/out of Federal buildings so I wouldn't have to always be leaving it in the car etc. I actually feel more comfortable carrying a full sized Grip because the Shallot is so small it doesn't fit my hand nicely and the size actually makes it hard to open/close while keeping my fingers out of the way.

knives are really one of those things you have to try to find out what works for YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
    Best hard use folders IMO... Hogue EX-01 for more expensive option... @ $150.
    Just looking at getting one of these and they look to be pretty reasonably priced too, especially since there are a few better prices available online.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

David Boye folder. He literally wrote the book on making custom knives. Spyderco calls the indent on their lockbacks after him to acknowledge his innovation. Mr. Boye now makes a folder (and a fixed blade) with a cast, not forged, cobalt based metal. Corrosion proof, non-magnetic and the casting allows the molecular structure to act as mini serrations. Holds an edge better than any other metal and it will not rust. To top it off, a reasonable price.

I like Zero Tolerance alot, they're built like tanks look great.
    I have the 770

My thoughts are the ZT0600 is one of the best built knives around factory or custom. I currently carry one as my EDC and have so for several months now. I lock up is rock solid it has a hardened steel insert for over travel and lock wear. The blade is 3/16" thick, you would be hard pressed to find a better knife for the money. Combine it with the new Lenslight KO Titanuim light and, you should never need another knife or light.
    I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. (Archilochus 650BC)

3/16th is good, but how does it work with cardboard? I tried out my 0551, and the thick spine made cutting cardbard very difficult.

Bill

Default Toughest EDC Folder?

My 0560 is the same, I believe. Cardboard takes a bit of effort, but onions are impossible.

I don't consider my 0551 to be a 'slicer'. Now if I need to baton kindling with a folder, I'm happy to have the beefy blade!

Thanks to the poster in the how many lumens thread for mentioning ZT. I just got a ZT0300ST and love it. It's pretty wide but aside from that, works great as an EDC for my preferences. Nice blade, partially serrated, assisted opening, solid lockup with zero play. Great knife! It's replaced my Kershaw Rake as my EDC.

Max

So, nobody has mentioned a really inexpensive alternative, tough, well made and a real beater of a knife.

All of those for less than $100.
    My favourite at the moment -

Not tough enough?

At least get one for a back-up blade.

Cold Steel Mini Recon 1 is a very durable EDC knife.

WhizzBang.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoors Fanatic View Post
    Spyderco Manix, Chinook and Military
    Kershaw Tyrade
    Zero Tolerance 0200 and 0300 series
    Benchmade Rukus and Osborne series
    +1 on these choices. I don't think any of them are less than a hundred bucks, though. I think my ZT 0301 is probably the toughest folder I have. Or maybe it's the Spyderco Manix. But folders aren't really tough.... ;-) As some folks are known to say, "Why do you want a knife that's already broken?" That cracks me up! (But I do have over a dozen Busse fixed blades!)

Take it easy,
    Bob
    ​"What do you carry a flashlight for?!"

Anything it can't hold up to, you should be using a fixed blade.

Spyderco Gayle Bradley.

Removed by his own request

i have somewhere a benchmade 975 emerson which i carried for like 20 years. dammit but i cant find it now. anyway it is tough and holds an edge and has not gotten loose. it opens very quickly with the thumb stud and carries effortless with the clip. when i bought it i paid like 80 or 90 bucks i think. dont know if theyre still made i need to look into either finding that one or buying another one.

My Microtech amphibian is a beast. Had it for yours. You can't get one anymore, but all their knives are great.

for less than $100, my recommendation would be for a benchmade griptilian or the mini grip. They are light, carries well and 154CM is more than capable performer.
    SF E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    CRK 21L Umnumzaan Strider SmF ZT0560BK SPY PM2 BM 556 551-1302 ​LSTEEL HEAT HEFT4

Some great knives mentioned by others above...

For my EDC I was very very nearly pulling the trigger on a Cold Steel Mini Recon 1 Tanto... but in the end I changed tac completely and got myself the CRKT Pazoda with the combination edge.
    Very very reasonably priced, has an extremely deep carry pocket clip (a must for me in the office) and is made from 8Cr14MoV, which is pretty darn hard (58-59) for the price (open to correction, but when I was looking, it's hard to find anything with a better steel [or even similar] anywhere near this price-range).
    Can see the knife here with both blade options...
    http://www.crkt.com/Pazoda

I've had it about a year now, and use it daily for every sort of little task, and use it for scouting also (cutting ropes, stripping kindling, cutting food etc.), the combination edge is perfect.
    The locking mechanism seems very very sturdy and I still see no play in the mechanism at all.
    It is a relatively short knife (again something I was looking for) at 2.625" blade length, but again, for what I was looking for, it is now my perfect EDC on a budget.

I believe the toughest folders are CS triad lock and Emerson Knives. The CS has a great price and now they are using the XHP steel. I think it is the best deal for us$ 100 for a hard use knife, and a great edc Knife as well. The Code 4 model can be tough, lightweight and pretty at the same time. A good call.

Default Toughest EDC Folder?

The spyderco paramilitary ii is a bullet-proof knife. It has a thick blade, and a compression lock on the back. People have tested this knife excessively out in the wilderness, and it has held up very well. It also seems to be a great EDC. I am getting a benchmade 940 Osborne because I want a more elegant knife (still super strong though). I actually had an Osborne, but had to return it because of a defective blade! Honestly though, the spyderco paramilitary ii could get you out of almost any situation, and it would still be a champ at the end. People split logs with it! Check it out on YouTube. almost bought the knife myself!

Zero Tolerance makes some wickedly beefy knives too, but they do come at a price.
    "Flashlights are the most amazing tool in the world. It's as if you have the power to harness the power of the sun! Well... Maybe not the sun, but still-Flashlights are pretty cool! Especially the ones with the highest lumens and most lux..."LOL

The toughest folding knife I have used is the Benchmade Adamas 275. It is on the heavy side and it's more than $100, but you aren't likely going to break it in your lifetime. I have a Zero Tolerance 0350 which is a solid knife, but no where near as solid a build as the Adamas. I'll take the Axis lock over a liner lock or frame lock any day. I like Kershaw and Spyderco too, but they aren't what I would call tough. Solid yes, but not tough.

The Hinderer XM-18 (3" & 3.5" blade) and larger XM-24 (4" blade) would be my picks for toughest sub-custom knives.

Close runner ups are the Strider SnG (3.5" blade) and the SMF (4" blade).

All of these knives are considered mid-tech knives. Mid-tech's fall between production knives and customs and can get you great 'bang for your buck' as compared to full custom knives.

I pick the Hinderers over the Striders as a matter of preference but also because the Hinderers have the edge in quality IMO. New Striders need to be broken in and will sometimes develop blade play. Strider will fix it free of charge but it still has to be counted as a knock against them. Also, the ergos of Hinderers are much better...my opinion, of course.

Although I own both and I carry a SnG at work everyday and it's performance is OUTSTANDING. The reason I carry my Strider over my Hinderer is because my Hinderer is a Gen II custom XM-18 and is valued at ~$1400. I've lost knives at work before and I'd rather lose a $400 knife than a more expensive one. Well, I'd rather not lose anything but you know how it goes.

Now, if you absolutely positively have to have the toughest EDC folder then you're going to have to move into custom knives. And custom knives mean

I'm going to buck the trend of $400 knives.

Gerber EAB 2 (because I don't like EAB 3 and have both models.)

The reason I say it's tough is that you swap out the utility knife razor blade. Cut whatever you want: wire, light sheet metal, open cans. Oh noes! Ruined the edge? Swap the blade.

I strop mine occasionally on the back of a junk mail envelope laying flat on a table. Though my current blade is almost totally brown with corrosion, the edge is still shiny and shaving sharp.

Also, by applying a "cold blue" compound to the blade before installation, you ward off corrosion in a big way. It extends the blade life.

I've cleaned fish, cut wire, and cut stuff I wouldn't cut with a "good knife," therefore the EAB 2 is a better knife.

It's like I was having a discussion with a guy about knives. I showed him my $30 knife, he said "If you've got a $30 life, get a $30 knife." I pulled a soda can out of the trash and said "if your knife is so good, then cut this." He refused to use his $400 knife, stating he didn't want to mess up the edge. I casually began cutting the can into strips, saying "guess my knife is better, I can actually use it and not care."

Quote Originally Posted by more_vampires View Post
    I'm going to buck the trend of $400 knives.

Gerber EAB 2 (because I don't like EAB 3 and have both models.)

The reason I say it's tough is that you swap out the utility knife razor blade. Cut whatever you want: wire, light sheet metal, open cans. Oh noes! Ruined the edge? Swap the blade.

I strop mine occasionally on the back of a junk mail envelope laying flat on a table. Though my current blade is almost totally brown with corrosion, the edge is still shiny and shaving sharp.

Also, by applying a "cold blue" compound to the blade before installation, you ward off corrosion in a big way. It extends the blade life.

I've cleaned fish, cut wire, and cut stuff I wouldn't cut with a "good knife," therefore the EAB 2 is a better knife.

It's like I was having a discussion with a guy about knives. I showed him my $30 knife, he said "If you've got a $30 life, get a $30 knife." I pulled a soda can out of the trash and said "if your knife is so good, then cut this." He refused to use his $400 knife, stating he didn't want to mess up the edge. I casually began cutting the can into strips, saying "guess my knife is better, I can actually use it and not care."
    There are advantages to carrying a knife with disposable blades, I suppose. Hacking up cardboard and being able to snap in a new blade at will would be great. I had one at some point. Used it mostly for sharpening pencils in the field.

However, whether or not a person is willing to use a knife has no bearing on it's toughness. Willingness to use it doesn't impact it's potential performance. When I had my Corvette I never raced it (OK, once or twice) but it was still faster 95% of the cars out there.

In a head to head test of toughness that Gerber would have no chance of winning. It will break long before most of the knives mentioned in this thread. And I don't mean just the blade breaking. It's cheaply made and won't hold up to real abuse.

Then there's the issue of what you'd rather have in a life or death situation. Again, no contest. I'll take my any of my knives (and I have quite a few) over your $10 knife all day, every day.

That said, different strokes for different folks. If you're happy with it, then that's what counts.

I could see the liner lock of the EAB going, but I've hanged and banged with mine for I guess about 8 years now EDC. It hasn't failed yet, though I bought a couple spares just in case.

Hard use isn't really the domain of a folder anyway. For that, I EDC a fixed Esee Izula. Just my opinion, anyway.

I could see the liner lock of the EAB going, but I've hanged and banged with mine for I guess about 8 years now EDC. It hasn't failed yet, though I bought a couple spares just in case.

Hard use isn't really the domain of a folder anyway. For that, I EDC a fixed Esee Izula. Just my opinion, anyway.
    Good choice

Here in Michigan it is illegal to carry a fixed blade unless you're hunting or LE otherwise I would definitely carry a FB everyday.

Knife laws are really annoying! In my state, only a few municipalities have length limits. That means I can EDC a sword if I want.

No bowie knife (swedge tip) unless hunting, fishing, camping, or target shooting. Makes no sense! I can pack a Cheness Katana, but not a bowie knife?

I gave up trying to understand it. Anyway, that Esee Izula is small enough to get by the length laws of anywhere I'll be.

As far as a tough folder, I am kind of partial to the Gerber Gator with that massive rubberized grip. That's gotta be the thickest blade on a folder I've got.

Knife laws are really annoying! In my state, only a few municipalities have length limits. That means I can EDC a sword if I want.

No bowie knife (swedge tip) unless hunting, fishing, camping, or target shooting. Makes no sense! I can pack a Cheness Katana, but not a bowie knife?

I gave up trying to understand it. Anyway, that Esee Izula is small enough to get by the length laws of anywhere I'll be.

As far as a tough folder, I am kind of partial to the Gerber Gator with that massive rubberized grip. That's gotta be the thickest blade on a folder I've got.
    In California you can have a foldable pocket knife as log as the blade is shorter than your palm.
    "Flashlights are the most amazing tool in the world. It's as if you have the power to harness the power of the sun! Well... Maybe not the sun, but still-Flashlights are pretty cool! Especially the ones with the highest lumens and most lux..."LOL

Whoa guy, lets not get started on knife laws. Of topic.

Bill

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast