9 led light converted to SSC P7?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Off the top of my head...

-$.99 host with a ~$25 emitter. $60 is over priced.
-3xAAA cells:green:
-3xAAA cell carrier:sick2:
-3xAAA NiMH cells are ~800mah tops.
-Not designed for use with Lithium Ion cell. I am guessing he is direct driving the emitter and relying on the cell internal resistance to limit current. Either that or using a resistor + cell internal resistance to limit current. NO WAY that thing emits close to 900 Lumens...:crackup: Even IF it did, it would nuke itself from thermal overheating.
-I question the heatsinking, and doubt its sufficient IF this emits 900L.
-I question if the switch is sufficient/robust enough for the current draw.
-Its probably best this light doesn't use Lithium Ions... for safety reasons alone.

I had one of those lights during my pre-CPF days... its a terrible light to put it mildly. Its a crime to think how many thousands of these turds must have been sold.
dscn9409qr6.jpg

There are better P7 lights on DX for less $$$.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
On closer inspection, it looks like this is not using a SSC P7, but in fact, a SSC CREE P7...

An LED produced jointly by both Seoul Semiconductors, and CREE certainly must be worth more than a mere SSC P7 without Cree involved in the process (beyond supplying the EZ1000 dice, naturally)...

1996alnl

Enlightened
Lets see,pop in three AAA eneloops hmm 3.6V,800mA.
I'm going to guess seven and a half minutes:duh2: at nowhere near the output this emitter can achieve.

This is a rediculous setup.
It's like putting tiny little injectors in a Hemi.
Don't waste your money.
That's just my opinion which is worth as much as you paid for it:)

Marduke

Flashaholic
On closer inspection, it looks like this is not using a SSC P7, but in fact, a SSC CREE P7...

An LED produced jointly by both Seoul Semiconductors, and CREE certainly must be worth more than a mere SSC P7 without Cree involved in the process (beyond supplying the EZ1000 dice, naturally)...

Cree just provides the EZ1000 dice for the P7, same as for the SSC P4. The Cree quad die is the MC-E, which does not look the same as the P7 pictured (he also sells a MC-E model however).

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree just provides the EZ1000 dice for the P7, same as for the SSC P4. The Cree quad die is the MC-E, which does not look the same as the P7 pictured (he also sells a MC-E model however).
I know. I should've thrown a "sarcasm" smiley into my last post. However, the flashlight linked to says it uses a "SSC CREE" emitter, presumably so it shows up more frequently in keyword searches.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a daft choice of host for a P7.

Mind you, I think the theory might be that the batteries go flat before the P7 gets too hot...

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of those lights (the 9LED ones; I modded one with a buck driver and it now takes 18650 cells). They have no heatsinking whatsoever. I hope they at least added a metal slug to sink the heat from that P7, though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

fightnut

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. And let me say, I wasn't considering buying one, I don't know much about lights, but even I knew that thing couldn't be quite right (certainly not for that money).

Also, kramer5150, I have several of the 9 led lights from DX (I spent the extra 50 cents or so and got the slightly brighter, upgraded ones).
Cost me under $5 for a pair. For what they are, and what they cost, they are a great light. I use mine all the time. I don't always need my high power lights, so the little 9 led jobber does the trick. Just a handy cheap light to have around.:thumbsup: