ARC LS extracted(Finally)

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first tried to remove the ring from the Arc LS, I applied lots of heat to the ring, and used needle nose plyers and a strap wrench to try to remove the ring. It just laughed at my weak attempt to remove it.:hahaha:

Thanks to Darkzero for the tip to remove the ring from my Arc LS, the circuit is now free. As you will see fom the pictures the dome of the Lux III is stuck inside the optic. I wondered why it looked strange when I viewed it from the front of the LS. The previous owner did say that the light was dropped and that the emitter looked off center, the LED still functioned but had a horrible blue tint.

Now with it cleaned up, I have to decide if I want to go with a Seoul or Cree?? Decisions, decisions.....

Stuck Lux III dome
arcls010tj2.jpg

Circuit with what's left of the Lux III. The LED would still light when powered. :)
arcls012zv8.jpg

Here is the circuit cleaned up awaiting the transplant.
arcls016dm5.jpg

Thanks again DZ!:twothumbs

paulr

Flashaholic
The Seoul is optically a more direct replacement for a Luxeon than a Cree is, I think. It's almost a drop-in but a tiny bit of shimming helps. Cree needs different optic or reflector from what I understand.

Lumafist, the jig is a watchmakers' case or movement holder if I'm not mistaken.

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Seoul is optically a more direct replacement for a Luxeon than a Cree is, I think. It's almost a drop-in but a tiny bit of shimming helps. Cree needs different optic or reflector from what I understand.

Lumafist, the jig is a watchmakers' case or movement holder if I'm not mistaken.

Cool..!

Thanks....:thumbsup:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

That would be correct. You can get them here for $11.50.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do have other reflectors, and I do like both the Cree and the Seoul LED. I know whichever one I use I will probably wish I had use the other one.:crazy:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I changed 2 of mine to Seoul with Khatod 17 smooth reflectors and am very happy with the results.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Your welcome Nitro. Good work.

Here's some pics that may help you decide:

Img_2714.jpg

Img_3759.jpg

Img_3917.jpg

Img_3893.jpg

Img_4475.jpg

Img_4520.jpg

More details on these can be found in my archive or let me know if you need help.

Good find on the pin vise Nitro! There are some differences as well as quality between the China made ones & the India made ones. You can also find the China ones on ebay too. I purchased mine from Micromark back in 03' for $30, it's still working as if it was new & I've put it through lots of abuse over the years. I think they still sell them to this day. McMasters also sells the India one too I believe. The price will usually tell you which one it is. I had the block milled off the bottom of mine & I love it even more since then. I'm sure the China ones will work just as fine though.

Img_1622.jpg

Img_1626.jpg

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I soldered on a resistor like the one below DZ, what current will this provide to the LED?
Img_2714.jpg

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not DZ, but that is about 0.6A. IMO, that is a very good compromise between brightness, and runtime.

Thanks! That is just what I was looking for, brightness and still a decent runtime.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my new ring for the ARC and now she is up an running! WooHoo!

Here's some pictures of the light completed and two beamshots compared to a Nitecore EX10 on max. The Nitecore is on the left, Arc on the right.
arcls001rg6.jpg

arcls002mediumlb5.jpg

arcls003mediumaj9.jpg

arcls005mediumou8.jpg

arcls004mediumpt1.jpg