I just got an LED Cree drop in from DX..it sucks!

captainKrunch

Newly Enlightened
So I ordered the p60 drop in led module from Deal Extreme and it arrived today. It is obviously bigger then the original p60 bulb and it prevents the head from screwing down. After installing it, and turning it on...it sucks! It puts out about 10 lumens. I tried it on the 6p and the g2. It sucked on both of them.

What a ripoff. Just a warning

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the one i got is really good, and alot of other people have got satisfactory ones as well. Which one did you buy? give us an sku number

and rather then trashing a product like this, perhaps its a defective one? or your light has contact problems?

we're here to help...:)

Crenshaw

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you might simply be a victim of bad quality control. For the record, every single P60LED drop-in I got from DX worked fine for me. To use it in a Surefire 6P or G2, you usually have to remove the large outer spring as it will cause the head to not tighten all the way down. If you haven't tried it with the outer spring removed, I suggest you do as that may fix your problems.

captainKrunch

Newly Enlightened
The sku is 6076. I did end up removing the spring per the feedback on the DX website.

The low mode on my surefire E2DL is brighter than this DX drop in. I cycled the power and there is only one mode.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you probably got a faulty one. It goes two ways from here.

you ca either just absorb the loss (ouch i know)
or you can go through dx customer service. Get a picture comparison of the beam versus something else, and explain to them the problem. provide them with the picture.They wil likley send you another one free of charge.

however, for future reference, the best one (i think) is

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

:)

Crenshaw

abuhannibal

Newly Enlightened
+1 on what Crenshaw said re the 11836 - it's damn good at any price and a major bargain for what they sell it for.

1996alnl

Enlightened
That emitter on the sku#6076 looks like it belongs in a dollar store torch.
Unbelievable that it got good reviews.:shakehead

gratewhitehuntr

Enlightened
I've ordered PILES of stuff from DX and more recently KD.

I have had almost no problems and would encourage you to try again.

I believe that DX represents excellent value for in the light world.

Some of their items suck, but some blow away competition costing 3 - 10 X
more.

I don't work for DX or KD and have no relationship to them other than that of an ordinary (rather high volume :paypal:) customer.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Whats the purpose of this thread... trolling the forum to bash DX or to troubleshoot what you have?

If you are trolling for jeers targeting DX that technically belongs in the marketplace Cheers/Jeers forum, although it will probably slide for a while like other DX bash threads.

Thus far I have bought 4 DX modules and they all have worked fine.

Make sure your cells are fresh or fully charged.

You should be aware that on the 6P you are supposed to remove the large spring, just pull it off, and slide the module into the light. The Brass pill can be tightened / loosened to adjust for tolerance stack ups with the Surefire light host. Just screw/unscrew it slightly to alleviate bezel gap with the body so th epill direct contact the body tube. Try that... hopefully it will alleviate any contact resistance that could be causing the low output. I am not sure about the G2 however.

Just use their RMA/replacement feature and open a "Customer Service Express" ticket. Take pics of the defective module and follow the procedure outlines by the SC rep. In my case it required shipment to their RMA center in Miami. USE USPS WITH CONFIRMATION NUMBER, and DX will send you a new one upon receipt.

They sent me a wrong item once and got it turned around in ~20 days.

Last edited:

1996alnl

Enlightened
So, do you feel all Cree XR-E's belong in dollar store torches?

Marduke, that was some sarcastic humor.
If that was a real Cree XR-E in there it would be a hell of alot brighter than a low setting from a E2DL.
But then again it could of been a faulty one.

I'm not bashing DX at all i agree 100% with what Gratewhitehuntr said.
I've bought alot of stuff from them,and i've never been disappionted.
One thing people have to remember is "look at what your getting for the price".

I mean seriously,if you can order a R2 dropin for about $10 (that's what 4 SF CR123 batteries cost here) and it even comes close to a M60 dropin..your laughing.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the first dropins DX came out with for my Surefire 6P and it was one of the brightest LED lights I had seen at that time. DX doesn't really have the time to do QC on items they offer at the prices they have so it's not realistic to expect 100% QC at such prices. Heck one of our best U.S. dealers sent me a bad light. It was fixed pronto but I think you just need to expect a slightly higher failure rate when you are paying 1/2 to 1/10th the price elsewhere. I recently got a charger from DX. Totally dead out of the package. I contacted DX and had a replacement in just a little over a week (in the U.S.). They didn't even have me send the old one back (maybe because I've bought a lot from them or because it was only a $5 charger). The point is that if something doesn't work right try to fix it with DX and you'll probably get taken care of. If that doesn't work then come :mecry: here or better yet Jeers on CPFM.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sku is 6076. I did end up removing the spring per the feedback on the DX website.

The low mode on my surefire E2DL is brighter than this DX drop in. I cycled the power and there is only one mode.

I have a 6076. It's brighter than the stock incandescent P60 SF module but not overwhelmingly so and it's one mode. As dim as yours sounds it is defective.

lightmyway

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried testing it outside the light,Hold the module on battery and use a wire to make contact with the outside of the module..