UK combat torch

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dana,
the homepage for Nitech is
http://www.nitech.co.uk/

They do some nice lantern type stuff. I have one of their older models from 10 years ago. Not a good beam pattern, but it "focuses" down to 1 yard at 100 yards.

Oh, you wanted to know about the military torch - OOps, sorry, don't know a thing ......
(Except that Nitech wouldn't claim it [as Army issue] if it weren't so.)

Jahn

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good morning(me)/afternoon(you) Jahn. Thanks for the link. I found the torch under "Personal Lighting" but no more info than that Finnish site. Can you ring them for more info?
Missed you on the "Beast eating Fish" thread.

Dana

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
(The Beast Eating Fish topic just wasn't punny enough for me to add any more to it.)
Ahh, come on Jahn. If I can come up with one, I'm sure you could bring the house down with your wit.
p.s. I posted two but one was pure plagiarism.
TIA for doing the ring.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I am shocked to my core that I started such a thread.

I was told this company make a 6AA flashlight.
My source indicated that this was not a retail product available only to certain groups.

Al

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...

This looks like Corporate BS so they don´t have to worry about individual shipments and Customer care issues, The lamp looks good though, but would like those features on an E2 instead, like a retrofit bezel, how´s that?

Alex

Originally posted by Size15s:
I am shocked to my core that I started such a thread.

My source indicated that this was not a retail product available only to certain groups.

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Saaby

Flashaholic
I like the intergal red/blue filter. I was just saying the other day "I need a, er, "grown up" version of those playskool lights with a red and green filter"

Oh sure, the playskool light is nice, just a little big for what it does
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
sunspot, Alex,
I've dealt with Nitech a couple of times, and they are very customer-service orientated.
I don't know about the 6AA torch, but maybe it is one of those *restricted* models. (Like the very strange US Military-only Phantom Warrior unit.)

Jahn

Size15's

Flashaholic
You don't understand.

When a company gets involved with the MoD (such as a DERA Contractor) it is highly likely that their work is not [allowed to be] public.

That I've got wind of the possibility of such a product suggest that it has been superceeded and is no longer used by certain groups including Special Services.

Al

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Saaby:

Oh sure, the playskool light is nice, just a little big for what it does
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was going to say!!!!!

I have 2 of those playskool lights... They are kinda cool. every now and again I let my 4 and 2 year old play with them too!!!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I can't figure out how they change filters in the field. Presumably that dorsal knob is involved, but how?

Brightnorm

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think maybe they work like the Playskool light, turn the knob one way and the red pops out...turn it the other way and the green pops out. Put it in the center and it's white.

Here are a few things that support that.

As mentioned above, there's a big knob (Hmmm...Playskoolish) on top.

Text says:
integral red/green colour filter with external control

Look at the pic, there's no filter attached to the front...it's inside.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats sounds even better.

available only to certain groups.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">CPF is a certain group.
More to the point is WHY?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
When a company gets involved with the MoD (such as a DERA Contractor) it is highly likely
that their work is not [allowed to be] public.
That I've got wind of the possibility of such a product suggest that it has been superceeded and
is no longer used by certain groups including Special Services.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Things must be a bit different in the UK. When the US military gets things, the public can usually obtain it shortly after. eg. See the CMG-Ultra M etc.
The 6 AA model sounded like a possible housing for the 5w LS.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Here is (unfortunatly) the best image I could find.

144_imageMain200.jpg

There are 2 notches in the reflector, one in the top, on in the bottom. That big knob on the side is normally in the "center" position. Turning it one way causes a red piece of plastic to emerge from the slot in the top of the reflector. Turning it the other way causes a green piece of plastic to emerge from the bottom of the reflector. I never much cared for the light itself but the filter system is cool
grin.gif
my kids will have one of these with a LED in it naturally, and I might have to, you know, try it out long before I give it to them
wink.gif

BTY, the beam quality from them is horrible!

Ratso

Enlightened
I think what we need is a big LED light such as the Tektite 1900 but subsitute, just for example, 3 LEDS with green, 3 LEDs red, maybe even a infrared?, that would leave 13 plenty bright LEDs. Add different power modes, (like the SL Septor) and you would have IMHO the most versatile light in the world.

Size15's

Flashaholic
"Things must be a bit different in the UK. When the US military gets things, the public can usually obtain it shortly after."

You know, Special Services and other similar groups are very secretive. I get the impression that Navy SEAL's are like household names in the USA.

The impression I get is that the British Armed Forces rely less on technology (they have to when they've got SA-80s!)

Certainly the Elite groups appear to be resourced. For security purposes I do not need to know anymore then they have the tools to do their jobs. Whether they do their jobs I am not qualified to judge, and neither is the public and certainly not the press. I have to trust that those who are qualified are making sure my taxes are well spent.

My source regarding the possible 6AA is out of the country. I will try to get more imformation as and when he returns.

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Saaby:
....Look at the pic, there's no filter attached to the front...it's inside.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what has me puzzled. This is presumably a sealed, waterproof light of relatively small dimensions. How would they store and access three different filters, unless all three are hinged either at the top (more likely because of dorsal control knob) or at the bottom and could be selectively flipped up or down. There doesn't seem to be room for rotation on a vertical or horizontal axis, but even if there was, it would block at least part of the light in either axis.
I've never seen those PlaySchool lights, so I don't know the design.

I'd still like to know how they do it.

Brightnorm