ice storm

prof

Enlightened
We had an ice storm last night. Of course only our end of the state got hit...along with neighboring areas. At 4:10 this morning I heard my little boy crying--and noticed the power was out. We're all electric, so no heat, etc. Little guy climbed in bed with us, while my daughter stayed in her room. When it was time to get up, we dressed by flashlight(s)--which the kids greatly enjoyed. They were disappointed when the power came back on! I enjoyed watching my son carry the Gerber LX3 around the house, while my wife and I both used Surefires (a pair of L1s--a cree and a Lux 3...had to replace the cell in the Lux 3 this morning). We also used a 6volt convertible light--you place it on the bezel and pull the body up to create a lantern (works...).

I have plenty of batteries and a monster run-time light--a B&D start-it with 3 LEDs built in (no idea of runtime, but I suspect it's LONG). Expecting more bad weather today.

My students are disappointed because we have class today--and an exam.

I wonder--think my wife would be upset if I ordered some more "emergency supplies" today? :laughing:

How is the weather where you are?

-prof

edc3

Enlightened
42º Fahrenheit here in California and it's supposed to get to 68º by Thursday! We haven't had a power outage in the three plus years that we've lived in our current home. Damned reliable power company! :scowl:

You've proved the usefulness of your "emergency supplies". Buy more now!

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our thoughts with those caught in the Ice Storm

Our thoughts are with those caught in the Ice Storm. Stay safe and break out the Malkoff's.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: Our thoughts with those caught in the Ice Storm

I got the M60LL with a little round of Write Right on the optic in stand-by mode on a 2X18650 Leef. :thumbsup:

Plus all the usual food and heating supplies. I think WV will get hit with it tonight or tomorrow. Hunker down everybody, stay warm.

cl0123

Enlightened
Prof,

Around 68º Fahrenheit here, but that's our "cold-front" weather on the islands. In fact, I saw some leather jackets out on the street earlier this morning. :confused:

We had a blackout a few weeks ago and I am adding a couple of lanterns to my contingency gears. CPF has a lanterns section where many good information is available as well.

Stay warm and let's hope any kind of blackout won't last more than 30 minutes. Now, back on topic, a good Surefire M6 incandescent light is a "great" CPF way to not only provide light but warmth as well. All you need is a couple dozens or so to last through the chilly ice-storm nights. :twothumbs

With Aloha,

Clarence

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like you're in good shape Sarge. Looks like a nasty event. A good time to test the headlamps too.

Sandman_Bravo

Newly Enlightened
When I got up it was 9*F by my outside window thermometer. It has been windy (wind chill factors -5 to - 20 F) and we are getting some more snow. Funny thing, a few days ago we had a warm system blow through and it was in the high 30's; a lot of snow melted. Too bad it just refroze that night...

Stormchaser1

Newly Enlightened
Over 1/2 inch of ice on the power lines now. Gonna lose power anytime im guessing. Still more coming. Went by Wal-mart and every flashlight was gone. I should set up a stand and make some money. Who's making fun of me now. I literally got around 20-30lbs of batteries in one box-all different kinds. I've been waiting along time for this.

DieselTech

Enlightened

We caught the lower edge of it here, just enough to get ice on the trees and power lines, but fortunately the roads stayed clear. They're talking about an inch of ice and snow over night and tomorrow, though. We've been fortunate so far, hope it holds.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Everything is coated in ice here now but the power's still on.
Looks like only 6 inches or so of snow under the ice too.

So a cakewalk so far for us. Tomorrow may be another story.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

is_satrad_na_ca_all_all_en.jpg

It is a big one. Stretches from Texas to the Atlantic.
Expected to hit Hamilton overnight and all day tomorrow. Not here yet.

prof

Enlightened
It's raining here, and about 34 degrees...so we'll see. Yes, a good handwarming light could be fun...

GreenLED, thanks for the good wishes. As to Hawaii...do you happen to know a rather grumpy guy named Bill who enjoys bbq?

sims2k

Enlightened
It is currently 19degreesF outside right now with about 5 inches of snow... and the power has been good so far... Winter storm warning for the next 16 hours.... but I am ready with some lights if need be...