SOLVED: NiteCore D10 + AW 14500 = Hard to push button & intermittent contact

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
It takes 5.3 lbs to actuate my D10, how about you? :popcorn:

• Place a chapstick top in the middle of the platter of a digital scale.
  • Press the tail button against the chapstick until the light comes on.
  • Read the force from the digital readout.
UPDATE:

This seems to be a problem with AW 14500 batteries. I used an alkaline, and it took half the force (see later post). Also, the intermittent switch operation is cured by using a shorter alkaline. Often I'd switch the light on and it would go back off or directly to low mode when using 14500.

UPDATE 2:
I removed about 1/2" of wire from the spiral spring in the base of the battery tube, and more perfectly centered the spiral. When the spring is completely compressed, now there is no overlap of coils. Now it only takes 3.1 # to turn on the light with a 14500, and it isn't skittish anymore. :twothumbs

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How much force to turn on your NiteCore PD?

I used a AA battery in place of the chapstick.

My D10 is 2.8 -3.0 lbs.

Not sure how accurate that is, I get the exact same on my EX10. It's a digital bathroom scale.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to my non-digital bathroom scales, about 1.5lbs. Not a very accurate way to measure, but my D10 isn't stiff at all.

balou

Enlightened

1.5kg/3.3 pounds straight from factory
~1150g now, about 2.5 pounds

Relubed it with a silicon oil/glycerine compound

edit: EngrPaul, clean all the lube on the piston and on the inside of the outer hull with (isopropyl-)alcohol, and relube it with silicon oil or nyogel
Zatoichi: really, 1.5lbs? Not kilogramms? I wish my D10 were as easy to push...

edit2: by the way, who likes the tarnishing of the piston end? I do :)

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zatoichi: really, 1.5lbs? Not kilogramms? I wish my D10 were as easy to push...:)

Definately lbs. I tried it on different areas of the scale's surface and got the same reading. They may not be accurate enough for this kind of thing, but I can say the piston is no harder to push than any of my clickies. It was stiff when it arrived, but since I cleaned and relubed it, it's been sweet.

*Edit* I've got it wrong! :oops: It is lbs, but there's one marker per 2lbs, so around 3lbs.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used a calibrated weigh scale at work. I came home and did the same thing on my bathroom scale and got 5.6 lb.

These tests were done with the tailcap turned fully to the head.

When I backed off a turn or so (to or past the momentary mode), it got easier to push the button to turn the light on momentary (2 or 3 lbs)

I am wondering whether I'm compressing air that it's so hard?

sparkysko

Enlightened

D10, 5 LBS (80 ounces) with the head screwed in all the way with an AW 14500.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

My EX10 is running about 3.6-3.7-ish on a digital postal scale at work. Definitely feels lighter than when I got it. Fully screwed in on and AW 16340.

JasonH

Enlightened

2.3lbs when relubed, using a digital kitchen scale.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geez. All my regular clickies are between 180gf and 500gf.

AvidHiker

Enlightened

I used a calibrated weigh scale at work. I came home and did the same thing on my bathroom scale and got 5.6 lb.

These tests were done with the tailcap turned fully to the head.

When I backed off a turn or so (to or past the momentary mode), it got easier to push the button to turn the light on momentary (2 or 3 lbs)

I am wondering whether I'm compressing air that it's so hard?

2.9-3.1 pounds on an expensive lab scale. This is with a slotted piston that I lubed with Nyogel. Doubting that there could be much air compression since the travel of the piston is so short when the head is screwed down, maybe there's a bit more spring compression at that point (pushing the battery into the piston seems to get harder as it moves in)? Definitely a lot easier when the head is loosened, also suggesting that the inside air isn't being compressed much (if at all).

Maybe another option would be to shorten your spring a tad?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

2.9-3.1 pounds on an expensive lab scale. This is with a slotted piston that I lubed with Nyogel. Doubting that there could be much air compression since the travel of the piston is so short when the head is screwed down, maybe there's a bit more spring compression at that point (pushing the battery into the piston seems to get harder as it moves in)? Definitely a lot easier when the head is loosened, also suggesting that the inside air isn't being compressed much (if at all).

Maybe another option would be to shorten your spring a tad?

I agree air compression from putting the light together is probably not able to generate that much force. It's got to be mechanical.

I've never removed the piston. It's always been a tough press.

I've cleaned under the brass ring and the PCB, even used some deoxit there.

I guess it's time to disassemble, clean, and re-lube. I'll report back if it makes a difference.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I removed the piston, it slid out nice and smooth. I stripped down all the blue stinky lube and applied fresh Krytox.

With the bathroom scale, I still got 5.6 lbs to turn the light on. This was with a AW 14500, as usual.

Dropped in an alkaline battery and tried the same thing. Only 2.4 # needed to turn the light on.

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Edit: NiteCore D10 + AW 14500 = Hard to push button & intermittent contact

Give it a cleaning and a little break in time.Mine is pretty easy now.If all else fails try a differnt o ring,for me the clear ones worked best.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Edit: NiteCore D10 + AW 14500 = Hard to push button & intermittent contact

OK, thanks for bringing my attention to the spring. I pulled it out for inspection.

Evidently the spring is intended to NOT overlap coils when compressed, since it is a spiral. However, my spring doubled-over on the last loop, plus the spiral wasn't centered.

I hacked off the last 1/2 inch of coil, and centered the spiral. The outer loop is still big enough to retain the spring adequately.

This reduced the force of compression with as 14500 to "only" 3.1 lb. Not great, but definitely better :twothumbs

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you clean the lube off the battery tube on the top next to the button AND also the bottom of the barrel around where the button sticks out. Left over lube here will cause stiction, increasing the initial force required to move the button.

balou

Enlightened
what's the force with regular AAs now? I'm gonna order some 14500... but also interested in reduced force with AAs

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
what's the force with regular AAs now? I'm gonna order some 14500... but also interested in reduced force with AAs

Good question!

After the spring trim:

2.2# for AA Alkaline
3.1# for AW 14500